Craftsman 12" Bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

I have purchased a 12" Craftsman band saw sight unseen. I pick it up tomorrow. The photos look very good. It is mounted on a floor stand and comes with a half dozen blades. It is about 10 years old but has not been used for the last four years according to the old timer I bought it from. My question is this: Providing the saw is as good as I think it is for $100 does anyone have experience with this type saw?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

sounds like the same one I have.. and I have used the heck out of it. The only issue is that sears no longer carries the blades that length, but can get them online. $100 is a great deal in it.

mike4066

I bought a craftsman 12 over the winter and paid 150 for it, you got a better price than me. So far I really like it. I think Lowe's has blades in the proper length, if not amazon does. I'm thinking it's a 80 inch blade, but I'd have to check my manual.

Rockytime

I bought a craftsman 12 over the winter and paid 150 for it, you got a better price than me. So far I really like it. I think Lowe's has blades in the proper length, if not amazon does. I'm thinking it's a 80 inch blade, but I'd have to check my manual.

It is 80 inches. I downloaded the manual from tthe net.

chartle

Not a band saw expert but I've read a few posts like this over the years and replacing the tires (they are called tires correct?) usually pops up.

I have a 3 wheel Craftsman and the blade pops off a lot. I think changing the tires may help. I don't use it much.

Finatic

I've had one since 1968 and it still runs great. There is a manual you can download on line with a little searching and a lot of utube videos. Good luck with it.

keithbyrd

I had one for 30 years - when I upgraded I gave it to my son about 5 years ago- he is still using it. keep it lined up, change the ties -should last a long time - price was good!

Got 1 too...

I have had a 12" for a long time & it has served me well! I think you will get a lot of good service from it...:)

Rockytime

I finally got the bandsaw home. It took a few days because it has been kinda wet for the last couple of weeks. It looks very good and I appreciate that it is on wheels although they are a bit on the flimsy side. I may replace them with good casters. It is in excellent shape and came with a half dozen blades from 1/8 to 1/2 inches. I will keep the little 9 inch HF bandsaw as it works so well for cutting blanks to length.

Attachments

• 20150520_161800.jpg
    20150520_161800.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 140
  • 20150520_161807.jpg
    20150520_161807.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 134

wyone

Nice. Looks like an older model than mine but think that is better. Mine has funky clips to hold the cover on and it has an aluminum table with grooves. I would much prefer the cast smooth table yours has. Looks like a good deal to me

SteveG

I did not realize the particular model of BS being discussed until I viewed you post #13. Then, all the memories flowed back! I owned that or a very similar model from 1972 until I upgraded my entire shop in 1995. So I had about 23 years of very satisfied service from that saw. If your fortunes are comparable, I believe you will be very happy with your new acquisition.

dogcatcher

I did not realize the particular model of BS being discussed until I viewed you post #13. Then, all the memories flowed back! I owned that or a very similar model from 1972 until I upgraded my entire shop in 1995. So I had about 23 years of very satisfied service from that saw. If your fortunes are comparable, I believe you will be very happy with your new acquisition.

I also have the same saw, I also got mine in 1972 and I am still using it today.

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
I had a Craftsman 12" band saw, that I bought new in 1957, using my paper route money (I was 14) and loved it. Sears used to have "Thrifty Monday" when things would be 10 or 15 per cent off and my friend's father was a manager at Sears so he used his employe discount to help me get it cheaper. That helped me buy a motor for the saw and an extra blade. It was made for Sears at that time by King Seeley in Ann Arbor Michigan. There wa also a cheaper line called Dunlap which had bronze bushings instead of ball bearings and was cheaper built all the way but it fit in with the Sears thing of Good, Better Best - although power tools only came in Dunlap and Craftsman. I got the Craftsman and I had it for about forty years and it gave great service. Did have to put new tires on it a couple of times. I thiink you did good for the hundred and that you'll enjoy having it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom