Corner cutting jigs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Does anyone have a home made corner cutting jig for cutting the edges off pen blanks?
I know PSI sells one, but I'd prefer to build my own.

If you use one, can you post pics of it here so I have an idea where to start on it?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Nevermind, I found one a HUT products.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

If I am turning Inlace Acrylester I start out using a rough file to round over the sharp edges, then I go to my Sorby Spindlemaster and round carbide cutter.

jttheclockman

I never use any other tools than a lathe. Just not necessary in my opinion and i have turned all materials except bakelite in my turning career. This includes segmented blanks. This is what a lathe is for. Makes things round. Sharp tools and presentation of those tools is key. Always start on an end and work toward the center. Do not start in the center and work to the ends.

TonyL

I do not use a corner cutting jig, but before I started using HSS chisels, I used to remove/round the corners (of inlace and other more brittle materials) on my sanding disk (attached to my lathe, but it could have been attached to anything relatively perpendicular to the corners). I held the blank in my hand, and with a corner against the disk, sounded it off. The PSI or jig you plan to build looks like a lot fun...enjoy!

leehljp

Member Liaison
I never use any other tools than a lathe. Just not necessary in my opinion and i have turned all materials except bakelite in my turning career. This includes segmented blanks. This is what a lathe is for. Makes things round. Sharp tools and presentation of those tools is key. Always start on an end and work toward the center. Do not start in the center and work to the ends.

That is what I normally do when working on one at a time, but sometimes if I am making 5 or 6 pens (or more), it is simple to just cut the corners off (saw or router) to get started. I especially do this with hard iron wood blanks. Granted, this is a quick fix solution to which an experienced turner would question, but at the same time, it does get the (inexperienced) turner into the project quicker.

jttheclockman

That is what I normally do when working on one at a time, but sometimes if I am making 5 or 6 pens (or more), it is simple to just cut the corners off (saw or router) to get started. I especially do this with hard iron wood blanks. Granted, this is a quick fix solution to which an experienced turner would question, but at the same time, it does get the (inexperienced) turner into the project quicker.

Hank I do not say it is right or wrong. Everyone has their ways of doing things. I just feel if an inexperienced turner use those then they will never learn how to round a blank. It takes such little effort to do on the lathe. This is what a lathe does. What I believe so many new turners do it start on one end of the blank and try to run the tool straight across the blank and thus problems arise. That is not how to round a blank. Learning proper technique is key to enjoying the hobby too. As I said though everyone approaches these things differently so good luck to all and happy turning.

JPW062

GRR-RIPPER® - MICROJIG - Work Smarter
I haven't used it for rounding blanks, but have used one on table saw. Have seen it used on router and jointer. Very nice set-up. I looked at one this afternoon after reading the thread this morning. Fairly certain it could be set-up to do as OP needs on a router. I don't have the base model, but rather one of the ones with most of the options.
I really like using mine on the table saw. I wouldn't run one without it now.

Last edited:

robutacion

Does anyone have a home made corner cutting jig for cutting the edges off pen blanks?
I know PSI sells one, but I'd prefer to build my own.

If you use one, can you post pics of it here so I have an idea where to start on it?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Nevermind, I found one a HUT products.

I have built my jigs for that use in 2009 as shown here

It works great to this day...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom