Cordless 18 Gauge Nailer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Would love to hear from anyone that owns and uses one regularly which make and model they like or do not like.

I already own a pneumatic one.

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomas

I have a Ryobi cordless 18 ga. stapler. Once I got the depth set properly for my project, I have been very pleased with the tool. The Lithium Ion battery lasts well and the unit is fairly light.

Tomas

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have Ryobi's 18V (cordless) 16 gauge nailer and have been thoroughly impressed. I also have the 18 gauge stapler too. I know you aren't looking for that bu I mentioned it because they both work the same. Consistent, well over 200 shots before needing recharging (I have not driven more than 200 at a time though and it might do more). Powerful, have used it on nailing 3/4 inch oak to 2x4 oak without a problem.

I have had both for about 3 years. I may go three or 4 months without using them and then I use them for a couple of days to a week.

The one thing I miss is have an angled nailer; And Ryobi makes a 15 gauge angled. I might get it one of these days. The angled nailer gets into tighter corners than I can get with the 16 gauge straight.

When I bought them, a couple of people on another forum were very down on them as not having enough power, but that was hear-say. They most certainly do have enough power to drive long brad nails and staples. I do need the 15 gauge power on occasion though. Fairly easy adjustment for depth of drive.

What particular aspect are you looking for?

Last edited:

vtgaryw

I get jealous when I watch a woodworking show and they pick up their pneumatic brad nailers all the time. Because my main shop is in my basement, my good compressor is out in the detached garage and I only have a small compressor in my basement. A cordless nailer would be great.

-gary

TonyL

Thanks everyone. I checked-out the 2018 and 2019 reviews. Assuming the reviews can be trusted, it seems like the DeWalt get high marks. I also checked out Lumberjocks, it doesn't look light they reviewed cordless nailers in a long time. I was hoping Makita was decent. I have enough of their batteries and there service center is nearby (15 miles away). I could get away with a bare tool purchase.

Thanks for the feedback!

greenacres2

Tony--one caveat on the Dewalt batteries (may be true for all Lithium-Ion?) is that they like a full discharge before recharging. I've not used their nailers, but do use Dewalt cordless at 3 of the race tracks i work at (vehicle extrication)--since the tools are not often used and we need to know we have full batteries, every now and then we run a set of batteries down so we can swap out...feels like it takes forever just holding a drill and a driver while spinning them without a load!!

earl

MDWine

here's mine (I think)
https://www.ryobitools.com/power-tools/products/details/18v-one-plus-18ga-cordless-brad-nailer

I got the Ryobi from amazon refurb'd after using one that my in-laws loaned me. it will shoot a 1, 1.25, 1.5, 2 inch pin. kinda like half a staple, or a very thin brad

I haven't really done much with it until this week. I'm building a sort of 'bunny hutch' with it. I pinned the pieces together to hold while the construction adhesive dries.

I did build a few frames with it, and it was great at holding stuff together. I have also done some baseboard molding, and it was perfect.

So far, it's been a good tool, even tho refurb'd. The inlaw does construction, and swears by it.

I don't think you can go terribly wrong with any of the "names".

Good luck in your quest!

Last edited:

rudya7

Tony, I own the Makita 18v lithium 1st generation 18 ga nailer for a few years now. They have a redesigned one out now that makes some improvements, mainly in size/weight. The one I have works just like a pneumatic one and I haven't pulled out the compressor since I've gotten this one. It is bigger and heavier than the pneumatic counterpart. It's great for trim like baseboards and chair rail. I sometime push it and use the 2 1/4 size nails, which is long for this gauge, to tack up 2 x 4 size lumber before screwing things together. It works exactly like the pneumatic one, great most of the time, but if you hit a knot you can expect the nail to veer off to the side. I haven't had a jam yet, which I did get sometimes with the pneumatic tools. Hope this helps.

TonyL

Thank you. Makita has always been by brand of choice and their service center is 15 miles away. I will call them to see if my batteries are compatible. I have a few of them. Thank you.

Top Bottom