Comet ll Sped control problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jd420214

Has anybody had and problem dealing with teknatool after basically two turnings my lathe just started to run full speed and won't adjust this happened three weeks ago and almost daily calling for tech help.
They keep saying that they will send a speed control knob and when I don't receive anything I call back they act like I never called then there going to send the whole motor and control assembly.
This last time I called same thing and they asked for me to email my reciept which I tell them I have sent it four times already which the reply is well we don't have a record of it just getting the run around I feel the place I bought it from says I have to deal with them for warranty issues so I guess i,m stuck with a junk lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I don't think you've got a junk lathe, but Teknatool is oddball to deal with. My nova DVR XP arrived with a broken toggle switch (main power) which took several phone calls to get replaced, likewise just to get a response on how or if I could replace my tailstock handwheel. I actually like my lathe a lot, but the folks at Teknatool could use a lot of training on how to deal with customers, first and foremost is always keeping your word, certainly on shipping replacement parts, and also for returning phone calls, which they suck at--I hate to hear that they are jerking you around about your receipt--I know I don't have mine anymore for my lathe.

Good luck with getting your issues resolved--and one more thing, I've got a friend who has a Comet II and his is great--I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good resolution for you.

plantman

Sorry to hear of your problems !! Did you by chance purchase your lathe on a credit card ??? If so, call the credit card company and explain what is happening. Ask them to issue you a credit for the purchase price of the lathe. This will lite a fire under the store you bought it from or Teknatool themselves. I don't think you will be waiting very long for a reply. Jim S

Fish30114

JD, I can't say I disagree with plantman's strategy, but I do have a couple names for you of guys who actually did what they said and helped me out on a couple of issues, the first one is Jonathan Garcia, I've got his e-mail, it's Jonathan.garcia@teknatool.com The other is a name to ask for in Tech-services, it John Deford. Hope one of those two contacts can help you out.

jd420214

Thanks guys well an update to the story I left my paper work at home monday and wife took it on herself to call she ended up getting the VP there I think the name was Jonathan but any way I,m sitting at work not noing she had done this when I get a phone call from teknatool saying they just hand carried a new motor and control to the UPS store and it will arrive today cant wait to get it installed and back to turning pens.
As for the wife she usual cant talk people in getting waht she wants.
Thanks
Dave

jd420214

Well I guess my bad luck continues received my motor and controller today open the box and the pulley has a big chip out of it I think I can exchange the pulleys. But I was so pissed that I just put it back in the box and sat down and had me a Guinness or two Ill worry about it tomorrow.

wob50

I will drink a cold one for you tonight but Bud will have to do Guinness to rich you me. Or you get your wife (best) wife to call them back and have a word with the v. p

Frog Morton

I seem to remember reading that the speed control problems had been fixed with the "2013 Edition" of the Comett II, so I'm curious if you have one of those newer models, or if you have a pre-2013 version.

I own one myself (the improved 2013 version) and I like it a lot, so hopefully I don't run into that issue as well.

It is encouraging to hear that new parts were sent out to you though (after the first few tries, that is).

It seems that Teknatool needs to better train their customer service people, as I have read similar stories about poor service initially, that is then followed up by much better service when someone "higher up" becomes involved.
If I were in charge, I would make it a priority to clean that up ASAP, as it is bad publicity that need not be happening.

jd420214

Oh wife called alright she had his cell number and called him at seven at night I dont really get upset and i tried to look at the bright sight like I have a new motor and control so I,ll just try and swap Pulleys.
She kinda layed into him about the shipping it was wrapped good but it must of been dropped before packaging he said he would take crae of it in the morning well see what happens.
Dave

TDE

When they sent me my first motor and speed control to stop the surging my lathe was doing the whole end of the motor was broken, next one surged just like the one I was having trouble with. I guess the third time was a charm. Works good for now. Hoping it doesn't start surging later,warranty is out now.
Happy turning, Ted:)

jd420214

Just a quick update got my new motor installed and lathe is up and running great so far one thing is funny my reverse switch is installed upside down which I do like better than the original setup just going to relabel the switch.
Another funny thing on friday I recieved a small package from them with a part they said they would send me over a monthe ago then another pully came today.

Top Bottom