International Association of Penturners  
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 40

Default Colt Parabolic Drill Bits

I have several of the Colt 5 Star Parabolic bits and LOVE them. I was wanting to add to my collection with a 10.5 and 12.5 mm. I looked via Google and no luck. Went to the Colt site, www.colt-tools.com and searched there vendor list no dice. So I submitted the question to colt. Any ideas on where to purchase these bits? Thanks.

Sir, we're surrounded. Relax, we're supposed to be surrounded we are paratroopers.
Stick Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 93

Doug:
I don't think colt makes a 12.5 or 10.5 parabolyic bit, or at least don't make them available in the USA.

If I am wrong , please let me know as they are JR and Triton sized and a "must have" in my shop. I have looked for them for a while , without success.

Good luck! Keep me posted.
If it ain't broke.......then a little duct tape won't hurt it!
PenMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 40

Andy,

Colt makes them. Part #10151050 = 10.5mm. Part #10151250 = 12.5mm. Directly off there web site. But as you correctly pointed out no one carries them.

Sir, we're surrounded. Relax, we're supposed to be surrounded we are paratroopers.
Stick Rounder is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Did you try Woodcraft? My local store has a lot of the Colt drill bits for many pen sizes.

Craig Chatterton
Puyallup,Wa
SkookumPens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I found the 10.5 mm here but did not see the 12.5mm there. You might contact them and see if they can get it.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)
jthompson1995 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Rounder View Post
I have several of the Colt 5 Star Parabolic bits and LOVE them. I was wanting to add to my collection with a 10.5 and 12.5 mm. I looked via Google and no luck. Went to the Colt site, www.colt-tools.com and searched there vendor list no dice. So I submitted the question to colt. Any ideas on where to purchase these bits? Thanks.

Doug if you find a place to buy the Colt 5 Star PEN Parabolic 10.5 and 12.5 mm bits let me know, I'm in for both. It is time consuming drilling with a under size Colt 5 Pen bit then going in with a 10.5 and then a 12.5 for the other barrel.

Keith "mrburls"
mrburls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 47

Do they make any parabolic bits that aren't so long? The Colt 7mm I have is nearly twice as long as neccessary IMO! I would prefer a normal lenth, although I DO like how they work!
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Doug,
What did Colt tell you about the parabolic 5 star 10.5 drill bit do they make it or sell it in the USA ??
Thanks Al
Alton Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

First off, please correct me if I am wrong about any of this; I'm no expert, just a satisfied consumer of Colt Five Star parabolic drills. Germany's Horst Miebach manufacturers two grades of "Colt" brand drills: Colt Twinland (which are NOT the highly regarded parabolic drills) and Colt Five Star (or 5-Star). The Colt Five Star drills are available in two length classes: "jobber length" in conventional inch and metric sizes, and a few inch, metric and letter sizes also are made in the longer "pen" length which are distinguished as Colt Five Star Pen drills. The key identifiers are "Five Star" (or "5-Star") for the parabolics, and "Pen" if you want the longer parabolic drills. I have found the best in-stock inventories at The Best Things ( Jobber Length: http://thebestthings.com/newtools/mi...drill_bits.htm ), (Pen Length: http://thebestthings.com/newtools/miebach_pen_bits.htm), and at Traditional Woodworker (Both Jobber & Pen Length: http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/ Hint: Search for " 5-star ").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
Do they make any parabolic bits that aren't so long? The Colt 7mm I have is nearly twice as long as neccessary IMO! I would prefer a normal lenth, although I DO like how they work!

Lenny, look here for "regular" length Colt Five Star 7mm drills :
http://thebestthings.com/newtools/mi...drill_bits.htm

Hut Products publishes several very valuable (IMHO) charts in their printed catalog and online ( http://www.hutproducts.com/products.asp?dept=165 ), one of which is their "Decimal Equivalents Chart" which compares Inch, Decimal, Letter, and Metric dimensions. Per the chart:
13/32 in = 0.4062)
10.5 mm = 0.4134
27/64 in = 0.4219

Stick Rounder, Colt 5-Star Pen Drills are available in both 13/32" and 27/64". Keeping in mind run out and other tolerances in your drill press, lathe, bushings, etc. would either of these work for you?
13/32" (10.32mm) Colt 5-Star Pen Drill Bit - HSS http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...tinfo/16-1332/
27/64" (10.72mm) Colt 5-Star Pen Drill Bit - HSS http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...tinfo/16-2764/

Last edited by jjones; 08-24-2011 at 09:56 AM.
jjones is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Talking I ordered Colt 10.5mm & 12.5 mm bits from here

Go to www.fine-tools.com and they have both bits and they ship to the US. The price including shipping was not bad - near the normal price that you would pay for 2 colt bits at WC or Rockler.

Last edited by woodworker44; 10-07-2011 at 03:42 PM.
woodworker44 is offline   Reply With Quote Top