collet set sizes??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Ok, I keep hearing that the metric 2 to 20 mm er32 collet set is preferable to a standard 1/8 to 3/4 set because the Standard set has gaps. I've taken a rough pass at the math, and I don't see it. So, one of you machinist types happen to know what gaps exist in a standard collet set, or ever ran into anything they wouldn't work on?

Thanks
James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I have the 18 collet fractional set and have never needed any other sizes. I use the collets a lot for holding various parts and pieces. This does not answer your question but may help in making your decision. I do not have the metric set because I've never needed other collet sizes.
do a good turn daily!
Don

Ok, I keep hearing that the metric 2 to 20 mm er32 collet set is preferable to a standard 1/8 to 3/4 set because the Standard set has gaps. I've taken a rough pass at the math, and I don't see it. So, one of you machinist types happen to know what gaps exist in a standard collet set, or ever ran into anything they wouldn't work on?

Thanks
James

JerrySambrook

James,
This would be because of the range of grip for each of the individual collets.

a 3 mm will expand and contract from 2.5-3.5 mm. 3 mm is where it is made to be roundest, and where the best holding ability is
a 4 mm will expand and contract from 3.5-4.5 mm
a 5 mm will expand and contract from 4.5-55. mm etc etc

in an imperial set, there are non fractional sizes that may or may not get covered.

a 1/4 collet will range typicall from 15/64 to 17/64.
the next STANDARD (typically found) collet is 5/16 which goes from 19/64 to 21/64. so withthe typical set, you would not be able to hold a 9/32 object.

This is for sets, as we can always buy collets in 1/64 increments semi-readily, and in 1/124 if you want to spend the extra cash for a "custom" one.

Hope this explains

Chthulhu

Buy the set that has the most sizes you think you'll need, then fill in with appropriate metric single collets. A 7 mm collet's range includes 9/32" closer to the middle than the top. You can also buy individual size collets in a variety of sizes; you just need to get away from your usual sources. They do tend to cost a bit more, though ($30 each at McMaster-Carr for example). :)

Top Bottom