Collet Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgelnett

I have a collet set I got several years ago, maybe from Woodcraft but not certain. It has a set of different sizes with 5/8 being the larges. I was trying to see if I could go to 3/4 but not certain of the type of collet I have. on the MT there is a part number JT316A/MT2.
I know it has to be from the same family of parts like ER-32... or what ever I was just trying to get it a little larger without spending a whole lot of money.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Someone that actually knows will pop in Dave, but I want to say 11/16 was the biggest I saw awhile back.

KenV

Dave --

Woodcraft has sold collet sets that were not of the common interchangable standards. There are a lot of different systems -- some expensive, and some private standards.

Get the calipers out and take some measurements of the collets and compare to the common standards such as the ER series. The 5/8 suggests you may have something similar to the ER-25 collets, but measurements should let you be sure.

dgelnett

Additional Question

So how can I tell which collet I have? I have no markings on it and there was not any information with it. Is there a measurment that I can make to determine the type?
Thanks

rherrell

This may help you, maybe not. You MIGHT have ER25 collets, the biggest they go is 5/8", one way to check is to measure the clamping nut, the thing you tighten. These are only BALLPARK figures but an ER25 nut is about 42mm, an ER32 nut is about 50mm.

dgelnett

Collet Picture

Ok here is my collet with the dimension of the nut. I measured the collet and it is 24 MM. When I look at the chart it does not seem to match up. Is that why this was so inexpensive is because it is an off size?

Attachments

• Collet.jpg
    Collet.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 157

David M

That looks like the set woodcraft sales , comes in a gray molded plastic box with a spanner wrench. if so, i think there captive to woodcraft and i dont know if they offer other sizes.

rherrell

That doesn't look like an ER collet to me, I don't have any idea as to what it could be. One thing we do know, your holder won't go any bigger so if you want larger collets I believe you're going to need a new one. I recommend a Beall or a Beall "type", one that SCREWS onto your lathe so you can hold longer pieces.

PaulDoug

I was afraid that is the one you would show. The first collet set I bought was the same and it's not a bad set, but you are stuck to the size collets that came with it. I went to the Beall and than purchased a 18 piece set of collets. Was very happy with it but let the Beall go with a lathe I sold. I now have the PSI and it is a good chuck. I'd like to someday get back to another Beall. I liked it best.

KenV

Ok here is my collet with the dimension of the nut. I measured the collet and it is 24 MM. When I look at the chart it does not seem to match up. Is that why this was so inexpensive is because it is an off size?

Yup --looks like a non-ER collet, and the fixture is not likely (but possible) going to let you get much larger in diameter.

I looked at one in the Tucson Woodcraft once upon a time, and the owner did not know the collet series. He is a pretty skookum guy. You might contact Woodcraft national customer service to see if you can get more info. Remind them that collets are an expendable item that need to be replaced.

ER collet systems have larger capacity with greater numbers. ER40 is bigger than ER32 is bigger than ER25 etc. ER one of numerous systems use by the machine too industry but it is the one that Jerry Beall selected to adapt to wood lathes many years ago. Jerry still sells them. CUSA and PSI sell a clone version. Have also seen some nice rebuilds that machinists have produced from surplus collet bodies.

Do go for the version that threads onto your headstock. Jerry sells the common sizes and the clones have inserts. Is you go for a clone, the CUSA version is threaded for 1 1/4 by 8 with an insert to fit 1 by 8. The PSI is 1 by 8 with an insert for 3/4 by 16. If you have, or think you might get a big wood lathe with a 1 1/4 by 8 headstock, go with the CUSA.

Top Bottom