Collet Chuck or Nova G3 Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Both of course -- This is a support group from Hell.

I use them for different things. G3 with pen jaws is good for pen work

ER 32 Collet Chuck with a full set of collets is used a lot for pen work

I can do more pen related work holding with my collet chuck than a scroll chuck.

When we get to other turning work, the scroll chuck shine brightly.

Charlie_W

It depends on what you want to do. In due time you will probably own both.
What particularly are you thinking of right now as far as needing a chuck?

(Get both)

SteveJ

I was first thinking of the Nova G3 (it has an adapter which fits my shopsmith) to turn some larger stuff. I've received some gift money which I can spend on tools which would allow me to purchase both if they are sufficiently different applications.

Since I haven't used either - I presently turn pens either between centers or using a mandrel held in a Jacobs chuck - I don't want to purchase things which are repetitive. Also, I probably can only afford the basic Nova Chuck (and I am open to other suggestions in the same price range $150) if I buy both.

I guess I am saying that I know what I would use the four jaw chuck for, but would also consider a collet set to add to my arsenal of tools.

thewishman

I bought the PSI collet chuck and then cherry picked the collets I wanted. Didn't see the need for the 1 to 6MM collets, so I didn't get a full set. Since then I have wished for some of the smaller ones.

Dan Masshardt

There is no tool that you don't need. :)

If I had to choose one chuck it would be the G3 scroll chuck no question but I turn everything I can.

Even if just pens, still the G3 probably. Closed end and custom pens is where the collet comes in exceptionally handy.

Charlie69

Another option is the $179 PSI Barracuda 2 chuck. It comes with an adaptor that fits a shopsmith and 4 different jaws. The pin jaws are great for pen work as are the spigot jaws. If you get into turning other stuff the other jaws will come in handy. I've had one for 8 years and never regretted the purchase.

I don't believe Beall makes a collet chuck that will fit the shopsmith. PSI has a 5/8-1x8 adapter so you could buy an adapter and a 1x8 Beall. Or get the PSI collet chuck and PSI adapter. I have a Beall collet chuck and love it but there are a lot of people happy with the PSI collet chucks.

If I had to choose between getting a scroll chuck or a collet chuck I would definitely go with the scroll chuck, honestly I couldn't imagine owning a wood lathe and not having one.

Edited to add: you could buy both the PSI Barracuda2 and PSI collet chuck for $270 and %10 off of that for signing up for PSI emails.

Last edited:

Lenny

I have both a collet chuck with the full range of ER32 collets and a Oneway Talon chuck. Don't use the talon except for a rare bowl or lidded vessel. The collet chuck gets used a LOT!

pfbarney

I'm just the opposite of Lenny:biggrin:. Nothing like conflicting opinions to help clear things up....

I have a PSI collet chuck and a G3 chuck as well as a Supernova 2 chuck and rarely use the collet chuck. My scroll chucks get used daily. But I have moved into bowls and vessels more than pens anymore. Of course, when I turned pens I used a mandrel, but I was never as advanced in my pen turning as a lot of guys.

flyitfast

I'm just the opposite of Lenny:biggrin:. Nothing like conflicting opinions to help clear things up....

I have a PSI collet chuck and a G3 chuck as well as a Supernova 2 chuck and rarely use the collet chuck. My scroll chucks get used daily. But I have moved into bowls and vessels more than pens anymore. Of course, when I turned pens I used a mandrel, but I was never as advanced in my pen turning as a lot of guys.

I agree with the need for both. I use both for several things when pen turning. Starting with drilling pen blanks on the lathe. Either will work. I like to do square blanks with the G3. Very stable. If I have blanks rounded to 3/4", then a collet chuck is much better. I like the Apprentice collet chuck from Craft Supply - it is closer to the Beall collet chuck at half the price. As far as turning the blank with a tube in it I prefer turning between centers(TBC). However, with a pen mandrel you don't need either if it has a Morse Taper 1/2 attached to the shaft. With a collet chuck all you need is a pen mandrel shaft which I think gives you a more stable holder for your blank because you can shorten the shaft which reduces the possibility of OOR (out of round) pen conditions.
If you have the G3, you are setup for doing bowls and much larger spindle blanks. It serves very little purpose for final turning of pen blanks.
Hope I haven't rambled too much! I am happy I have both a G3 and a collet chuck. Good luck!!
gordon

LeeR

I started out turning pens, and then progressed to larger "spindles" -- tool handles, pepper mills, etc. I have a Nova Midi, Nova G3, and a collet chuck. I use the Nova chucks the most, but there ar times when a collet chuck just fits the bill.

I bought a Beall collet chuck awhile back, but only ordered the chuck. I think I got it from Craft Supplies. :confused:

But my point is that the collets are very reasonable from LittleMachineShop.com. You can buy them individually, or in sets.

Lenny

Not really conflicting opinions, it's "what are your needs?"
Like I said, I don't do a lot of bowl work. If you do, then a scroll chuck MAY be a better investment.
I wouldn't want to sell my drill press either, but I never use it to drill pen blanks now that I have a collet chuck. :wink:

ChrisN

I tend to go for the cheapest tools I can get:biggrin:, so I would recommend a PSI Barracuda 2 for your 4-jaw chuck, and the PSI collet chuck. I have both, and have had no real issues with either.

One major benefit of the PSI chuck is all the jaws that come with it. You would have to spend quite a bit more to get the same variety of jaws for a Nova G3.

For collets, I bought a complete metric set off of ebay. The benefit of metric collets is that you can grip any size from 1mm - 21mm. With imperial sized collets, they don't overlap, so you could theoretically run into a size that you couldn't grip.

I do a range of things from bowls to pens, and I find the 4-jaw indispensable for larger items, and the collet chuck indispensable for kitless pens. If you have patience, you could purchased used like I did, as they both come up for sale here occasionally.

dogcatcher

Since you have a Shopsmith, I would go with the choices of the PSI Barracuda2 or one of the other Barracuda chucks. I base this on what you have posted, since you are already turning pens you have the basic uses of the collet covered. You will also need their adapter for the chucks. The Barracuda series of chucks have all of the extra jaws, so no there expense will be needed.

shastastan

I've bought 4 different chucks over the years. If I knew then what I know now, I would have carefully researched which chuck had the jaws available for the things that I make. One benefit of having so many different chucks is that you can leave certain jaws on each for a specific use such as spigot jaws or mini jumbo jaws. When Easy Chuck came out, I could see the benefits of jaw changes in just seconds. I wanted one, they were $500 then. I did get one on sale for $319 and have bought some additional jaws for it even though I have some jaws for my other chucks. Not all these chucks were available 20 years ago such as was my Oneway scroll chuck--which I still use even though it has lever bars. Man, I am getting spoiled in my old age! Anyway don't buy in haste. With the internet and forums you can get some good answers and research pretty fast.

I do have a set of collet chucks, from PSI, which I hardly ever use, but they have been handy sometimes. They didn't cost that much, but I think that I'll use the spigot jaws on my Easy chuck a lot more. YMMV

Top Bottom