Cleaning your lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Denatured Alcohol (DNA) with a small soft bristled brush, then i give it a good coat of wd-40 (its what i have) i'm sure there is better stuff to use.

flyitfast

DNA as suggested above and then a good coat of Johnson Paste Wax. I have stainless steel ways on my Robust also. On my Jet it is a big help for smoothness for tailstock and banjo.
Let the wax dry for a little bit and then buff it with soft cloth.
gordon

KBs Pensnmore

I use a product called INOX, as it is safe for electrics, antistatic (great for visors etc) does not contain silicon, stays in a film surface, on a rusty bed spray and scrub with scotch pad, used on food production equipment, you name it, and its good!!!! Available in pressure packs and 1 & 5gallon containers.
Don't know if it's available in the states though.:frown:
Kryn

tool-man

Boeshield T-9; no connection with company, just a satisfied user. Rockler has it, sporting good stores, Amazon, etc. It is a little pricey, but just the thing if your shop is unheated or high moisture situation where rust might be an issue.

The formulation, based on a unique combination of solvents and waxes, is designed to penetrate metal pores and dissolve minor corrosion, then leave a resilient waxy coating that lasts for many months.

On woodworking tool surfaces Boeshield T-9® recently topped all other surface treatments in Wood Magazine's article on Rust Busters* (March 2004). According to them: "Except for the section treated with Boeshield T-9® all sections have completely rusted over". "There is only one choice for protectant as far as we're concerned: Boeshield T-9®".

76winger

I've got a can of Minwax paste wax that I use on the way tubes of my Shopsmith along with the surfaces of the table and band saws. Things slide better and debris just vacuums off.

Top Bottom