Cleaning oil off a new chuck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I bought a Nova Super Nova 2 chuck recently.
It's packed in a plastic bag inside the box & it's literally soaked in oil.
Does anyone have any recommendations for removing all this oil without messing up the finish or anything on this chuck?
I was thinking some Sprayway degreaser might do the trick.

Help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Some people like to use a detergent to completely remove the oil/grease. There are citrus-based detergents available at most supermarkets that will work for this purpose.

But I wonder if that is necessary or even wise. There's nothing wrong with leaving a thin layer of oil on the metal to prevent rusting. Obviously, you don't want to leave so much that it becomes a dust magnet or that your hands transfer oil to a turning. But it seems to me that a thorough wiping with an old shirt should be fine.

I would suggest using underwear, but people would tend to get anxious about whether it is clean.

lorbay

Anything that comes from off shore is coated with a packing or shipping oil and it very sticky.
When I get these parts and as did my new lathe I washed it all down with mineral spirits or paint thiner. Then I lubed all the nessasary parts with my oil.
Lin

gimpy

You can send it to me, I'll clean it for ya. lol
Spray away works good. But don't clean it to good as
Lube is your friend

Charlie_W

Before we had spray everything, folks would simply place something like this in a bucket of kerosene and come back the next day and let it drain and wipe it off.

This was also used for clocks that needed servicing...dunk the clock works, soak, drain, let dry and then oil the pivot/ bearings.

TonyL

I bought and had to do the same. I don't know if this is right, but I used WD 40 and shop towels. It took a few tries. I did the same with my first nova chuck 4 years ago and it is still operating smoothly. Enjoy the new chuck!

Top Bottom