Chucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tonylumps

For those who have used either or both.Other than price.What is the biggest difference between the G3 With Pen Jaws and the Vicmarc 120 with Pen Jaws.The price is not saddle I was wandering about performance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fish30114

I've used both and the Vicmarc is a better chuck IMO, more capacity I think, and grips better IME--it is pricey, but the best chuck out there is the Easy Wood chuck without a doubt IMO and IME--you can make jaw changes in seconds, and it has the 'zoom ring' which is great for quick opening/closing of the jaws--just a brilliant design period! I wouldn't buy another chuck at all if I had an Easy Chuck to start with.

Bikerdad

I have the Vicmarc 100 and 120. They are not cheap, but I've no complaints at all. There are two key reasons for the price difference, distribution and country of origin. The Nova is far more widely distributed in the US, so they get economies of scale. The Nova is designed (?), and distributed by a New Zealand company, but is actually manufactured in either Taiwan or China. The Vicmarc is designed, manufactured and distributed by Vicmarc, in Australia.

Oh, the Nova uses design features swiped from the Vicmarcs.

RSQWhite

All nova jaws fit all nova chucks. With the exception of the new infinity jaws. Nova pioneered first 4jaw scroll chuck.
I own 4
5 chucks Nova2 Super Nova2 Nova G3 Nova Infinity and Easy Wood chuck. The Nova infinity is by far my favorite.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

lorbay

I have both and the Vicmarc 120 is a far superior chuck and much more robust plus all the gears are enclosed where the G3 is open.
Lin

tonylumps

Thanks everyone for some great advice.I have 2 G3 Chucks.One is dedicated to drilling pens.I have been making some high end pens lately and selling quite a few .Even though the Nova has done a good job so far.I am looking at more precision in the process of making a Pen and thought that drilling a blank is the best place to start.It seems like a lot of money just to drill a blank .But bolting a set of jaws to a precision chuck is the start a new turnig process for the New Year

Last edited:

TonyL

Does any one else prefer the EZ wood chucks to the Vicmark or Nova. I know Fish knows quality.
I never considered EZ wood chucks. I like changing things quickly versus buying a 6th dedicated lathe LOL.

Last edited:

duncsuss

Even though the Nova has done a good job so far.I am looking at more precision in the process of making a Pen and thought that drilling a blank is the best place to start.It seems like a lot of money just to drill a blank .But bolting a set of jaws to a precision chuck is the start a new turnig process for the New Year

I think you are looking in the wrong place.

Any chuck that holds the blank without wobbling is good.

Unless your definition of "precision" is limited to "makes an entry hole at the exact center of the blank", the place you really need to look is at the other end of the lathe.

To drill a round and true hole through the blank requires the drill bit to be perfectly aligned with the axis of rotation. That means the tailstock must be aligned to the headstock (possibly requiring the headstock to be adjusted too), and the chuck holding the drill must advance in a straight line along that axis.

dogcatcher

For the best drilling process, I have found that turning the blank between centers to 3/4 diameter or 5/8 diameter depending on the blank size. I then go to my collet and use the correct collet to hold the round blank.

I start with a center bit to get my hole started, then I use what I call a machinist bit, it is shorter than a jobber bit and I "think" less prone to wandering. Then finish drilling the hole with a jobber bit.

Wood lathes are not accurate, they are hand grenade close or horseshoe close. The same goes for the wood lathe chucks. When you combine the 2 together it is a machinist's nightmare. In fact chucks for wood lathes are a relatively new thing, in the last 40 years they have come a long way, but spending a fortune on an accurate chuck to put on a wood lathe is like trying to make a purse out of a sow's ear.

tonylumps

Does any one else prefer the EZ wood chucks to the Vicmark or Nova. I know Fish knows quality.
I never considered EZ wood chucks. I like changing things quickly versus buying a 6th dedicated lathe LOL.

Looked at it Tony.But was afraid there would be too much play for what I need

tonylumps

Even though the Nova has done a good job so far.I am looking at more precision in the process of making a Pen and thought that drilling a blank is the best place to start.It seems like a lot of money just to drill a blank .But bolting a set of jaws to a precision chuck is the start a new turnig process for the New Year

I think you are looking in the wrong place.

Any chuck that holds the blank without wobbling is good.

Unless your definition of "precision" is limited to "makes an entry hole at the exact center of the blank", the place you really need to look is at the other end of the lathe.

To drill a round and true hole through the blank requires the drill bit to be perfectly aligned with the axis of rotation. That means the tailstock must be aligned to the headstock (possibly requiring the headstock to be adjusted too), and the chuck holding the drill must advance in a straight line along that axis.
Spent quite a few Hours on that with Brass shimming stock and an alignment bar.Took th whole headstock off .Cleaned ,shimmed and Remounted it.It is as good as I could get it

tonylumps

For the best drilling process, I have found that turning the blank between centers to 3/4 diameter or 5/8 diameter depending on the blank size. I then go to my collet and use the correct collet to hold the round blank.

I start with a center bit to get my hole started, then I use what I call a machinist bit, it is shorter than a jobber bit and I "think" less prone to wandering. Then finish drilling the hole with a jobber bit.

Wood lathes are not accurate, they are hand grenade close or horseshoe close. The same goes for the wood lathe chucks. When you combine the 2 together it is a machinist's nightmare. In fact chucks for wood lathes are a relatively new thing, in the last 40 years they have come a long way, but spending a fortune on an accurate chuck to put on a wood lathe is like trying to make a purse out of a sow's ear.
I am trying to eliminate the faults of a wood lathe turning small Diameter stock.A metal lathe is just not going to happen for me.Even though I have been researching it

TonyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Thank you Tony. What did you decide to go with please?

tonylumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Thank you Tony. What did you decide to go with please?
Vicmarc with there Pen Jaws

Woodster Will

That's what I do on my metal turning Lathe. Sadly the bore on my WW Lathe isn't very big, it's 20mm on my MW Lathe.

Top Bottom