Chuck suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDWine

I want a mid-size chuck for my Shopsmith. I can get the 8tpi adapter, but I'm a bit lost for a good "reasonably priced" (OK, good but cheap) chuck for mid-range pieces. I'd like to do small ornaments, up to medium size bird houses on the lathe.

Is the Midi (from Woodcraft) a decent chuck? I'd like to stay near the $100 range if I can.

I searched the site, but didn't find any recommendations for this area.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

Michael, I got the utility chucks from PSI. They work fine. I'm saving up for their new key chuck at about $150-$160. The older ones require using two tommy bars which can be a bit awkward sometimes. This new Barracuda 2 is supposed to be pretty good. Somebody here already got it. I guess there is a wait due to supply problems. FWIW.

Teniko

I bought the Barracuda 2 and like it just fine. All the parts work good and it comes with a storage box to keep evereything in its place when not in use.

dubdrvrkev

Another good alternative is the Grizzly knock-off of a VicMarc. I heard that the vicmarc jaws will fit also, but I can't verify it.
That said, I really like my Supernova II. It isn't "cheap" but there are lots of choices for jaws and it will go to my bigger lathe with just a new insert. So it was worth the extra $$ to me.

Chuck Key

I have the new Grizzly H6265. Have not used it to date but it looks like a pretty nice chuck. One feature that is included is indexing slots on the back edge of the chuck and numbered indexing pin holes on the back of the chuck. Here is a photo:

2005123022736_H6265.jpg
<br />

The indexing is great for flats, facets, grooves and the like for pen makers.

Chuckie

MDWine

Thanks everyone!
(I really did do the search, Frank, but evidently missed the obvious!)

Chuck, are those standard jaws "dovetailed" like most? (I'm guessing they are.) I've looked around, but always forget to consider Grizzley for some reason... I'm leaning in that direction, I think!

I never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the lamp, though... (no comments from the various peanut galleries![:D][:p])

alamocdc

Michael, I have a PSI utility chuck and an original Barracuda and have been very happy with both. If I get another chuck, it will probably the Barracuda 2.

ilikewood

Micheal,

I have bought some small chuck stuff for my Shopsmith from PSI and have had BAD luck with not a tight enough 5/8" hole. TOO MUCH SLOP! I couldn't take my work off and put it back on centered. At first I thought my shaft was worn, but it was exact.

I went ahead and bought the Vicmarc 3 1/2" with the 5/8" adapter and it is super tight! It was worth the extra money.

ilikewood

I bought mine from Craft Supplies, but it was pricy ($220 or so).
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=991-0500
It has indexing and all the goodies.

JimGo

Michael,
I have one of the PSI Barricuda chucks. I also have a mini-chuck, and an expanding collet chuck. If you can get the adapter to an 1"x8tpi, you can borrow any mine for a test-drive.

MDWine

Well, I did it.
Over the weekend I purchased the SuperNova II, along with the spindle adapter to fit my ShopSmith. I haven't used it yet, but am looking forward to trying some stuff with it. I hope to play with it some next weekend. Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I'll let you know how things 'turn' out ! [:D]

wayneis

Mike, wise investment, that chusk will last you a life time. When it comes to something that is as dangerous as turning I want to take no chances that a piece of wood is going to fly off. I think that you'll be very happy that you bought this one. On the other hand if you are anything like me, you will have to have most of the different jaws for it. LOL I have one of the Axeminster Chucks and am slowly purchasing all of the different jaws.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom