Chuck Recommendation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wagner11

This year for Christmas my mother told me to find myself a lathe chuck. The only stipulation being that I try to keep it around $100.

I have found an adaptor from PSI that I can use for my shopsmith but I don't know much about chucks or what is good for around $80.

I don't have to stay exactly to the price limit but I'm not trying to go much above as I already got some good stuff.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Doug.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert Taylor

You can get a Nova G3 with a 1"x8tpi thread to fit your Penn state adapter for about $99. If you don't find the "direct thread" model forget the Penn state adapter and go with Nova's Shopsmith adapter.

Wagner11

Are you only making pens or you changing directions and wanting to make bowls etc.? Will the chuck be for drilling pen blanks on the lathe?
I plan to mostly use it for small bowls and boxes. Maybe some toadstools.

I don't necessarily plan on using it to make pens and I have a good setup for drilling on my shopsmith so that isn't necessary either.

KenV

Have a Shopsmith. I like the Nova G3 for that use for just under $100 at Amazon.

You will need the 5/8 insert for $17 and pen jaws for $38.

There are others, but I have had problems with cheap chucks such as,sold by PSI.

I have Super Novas, but the lighter G3 will be less load on the Shopsmith.

Wagner11

Have a Shopsmith. I like the Nova G3 for that use for just under $100 at Amazon.

You will need the 5/8 insert for $17 and pen jaws for $38.

There are others, but I have had problems with cheap chucks such as,sold by PSI.

I have Super Novas, but the lighter G3 will be less load on the Shopsmith.
Ken,

Will the G3 work for boxes? That's mostly what I intend to do with the jaws. I may look in to pen jaws later on but I don't know that I will be using them any time soon.

Also do you know what the largest size piece you would recommend using with the G3.

Thanks,
Doug

Mr Vic

I bought the Barracuda way back when from "The Wooden Post" with the Shopsmith adapter. Still have the Shopsmith but upgraded the lathe to Jet 1014. A couple years back bought the Nova G3 on sale with pen jaws extra. Both are good chucks. Barracuda Tommy Bars are okay. Nova T handle is great but I still turn the wrong way from time to time. It's a Lefty Tighty Righty Loosy. My opinion both are good. Fit in to you price range.

Top Bottom