Chuck Jaws

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Splinter

Does anyone here know if the jaws that fit Penn State Industries Barracuda series chucks also fits the Oneway Talon Chuck?

Barracuda Chuck --- Barracuda2 Lathe Chuck Body: No Jaws Included at Penn State Industries

Oneway Talon Chuck --- Buy 5 8 Plain ONEWAY Talon Chuck at Woodcraft

I would like to get these jaws Pen Blank Drilling Jaws for C Series Lathe Chucks at Penn State Industries without having to buy another chuck to use when making finials for ornaments to keep my hands away from the chuck.

I called Penn State tech department and they said the jaws would not fit the Talon but I would like another opinion if anyone here knows. The photos of the two chucks look identical.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

I can't say if they do, but looks can be deceiving. I just purchased the Teknatool Supernova2 chuck yesterday. And found out the the insert thread adapter for my sized spindle, wasn't in the bag labeled for that size. Luckily they stamp a number/letter identifier on the insert. After going to their site and downloading the complete instruction manual for the chuck. http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/SuperNova2/Downloads/SuperNova2 Maunal full version.pdf

Is the PDF version on page 8 they list all inserts #2 thru #9 and letters A thru Y mine for a 1"-8 is a D Rockwell/delta. The bag says that is what is in side. The letter stamped on the insert is G which is a completely different thread series. It is close but no cigar!

So even if they look the same the spacing of the attachment hole may be different, the sizes of the holes for mounting may be a different sized screw. Even if you could use the screws for your chuck, they may not hold it tight while spinning.
:clown:

nativewooder

Please remember opinions are like rectums, everybody has one. Why didn't you call President Obama:biggrin: or Oneway:) or the President of PSI.:eek: I would take the word from the tech dept. They would get fired for giving you the wrong info!:bananen_smilies035:

Jim Burr

Banned
Nope, they won't. The equivelant jaws on the Baracudda are the spigot jaws...just use 2 of them rather than all four.

walshjp17

It is not a good idea to mix-n-match jaws from one manufacturer with chucks from another. Each chuck/jaw combo is manufactured to certain specifications and mixing them could result in, at a minimum, failure of the mash-up.

Wildman

I own two Talon chucks, 1st many years old bought on sale at WoodCraft before vendors charged extra for threaded insert. 2nd Talon bought chuck body, spigot jaws and threaded insert from Packard Woodworks.

Believe good rule of thumb is buy chuck and jaws from same manufacturer. Do not know of any chuck vendor or manufacturer that will tell you it is safe to swap parts from one brand to another.

Have heard Grizzly 3 1/2 " chuck is Vicmarc clone and can swap jaws. Have also read they are not compatible. Think that is fools economy!

Right now can buy Barracuda with extra jaws and thread insert with shipping $234.40. Should be able to do a lot of damage to wood with that. I prefer my two Talons but I am not you.

Barracuda4 Lathe Chuck System at Penn State Industries

KenV

Have both talon and barracuda - they do not interchange.

Talon is a better built (tighter) chuck than PSI barracuda. I use pin jaws for drilling with talon unless I need precision -- then round between centers and use the collet chuck just like Don Ward shows in his book.

Splinter

Have both talon and barracuda - they do not interchange.

Talon is a better built (tighter) chuck than PSI barracuda. I use pin jaws for drilling with talon unless I need precision -- then round between centers and use the collet chuck just like Don Ward shows in his book.

Ken,

Thanks for the factual/experienced (not an opinion) reply that I was looking for.

Wildman

Splinter reading your post and posted links do not know what chuck you already own. Thought you might already own a Talon, still not sure.

Why would anyone think spending $162.90 for chuck body and single use jaw set a good idea? Well call me silly I spent more than that. At least don't have to change jaws & know minimum & maximum my spigot jaws expand & contract.

That jaw set for pen drilling, no idea about holding items contraction or expansion mode. But wait, can save even more money if can put that single use jaw set on another chuck.

Makes perfect sense when consider Talon Spigot Jaw set might cost more than $50 including shipping & sales tax from Packard Woodworks or Woodcraft here in NC. Forget about jaw holding specs compression mode ¼" to 1 5/8" and expansion mode 1" to 2 3/8"

If you do own a Talon Chuck, why not Romeo Tango Foxtrot Mike (RTFM), before asking silly questions.
http://www.oneway.ca/pdf/ow-talon.pdf

Top Bottom