Chinese Laser Engraver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

QUESTION: Does the Laser engraver discussed here, or any operate with the computer through the USB port?

I am thinking about an engraver, but I only have laptops (three, two with i7) with USB 2.0/3.0

As Jon says, it does use USB, one port for power and one for data. You can use a USB charger for the power, if you're computer is short on ports.

Regards,
Michael

keithncsu

First attempt!!

Well after too many days of fighting with the computer I finally got some results!! Not 100% happy with the pen overall but it's more a result of the learning curve/issues I had with monkey wood than the engraving. I tnink the engraving came out better than expected!!

Thanks to Michael for starting this awesome thread and for the emailed software. Lifesaver!

Attachments

• xMKPm1H.jpg
    xMKPm1H.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 265

mecompco

Well after too many days of fighting with the computer I finally got some results!! Not 100% happy with the pen overall but it's more a result of the learning curve/issues I had with monkey wood than the engraving. I tnink the engraving came out better than expected!!

Thanks to Michael for starting this awesome thread and for the emailed software. Lifesaver!

Keith, the engraving looks great! I'm down in the shop turning some pens--just took time out to start the laser again--doing up some wooden 'fridge magnets for sale at upcoming shows.

I think the pens look nice. I'm not a fan of "Fatlines", but if that's what the customer wants, then so be it.

Oh, and you're welcome for my starting the thread. I'm glad it's helped some folks out. :biggrin:

Regards,
Michael

keithncsu

I'm typically not a fan of the overly fat ones though I like a little shape. The monkey wood one turned out too fat but after ruining 5 other pieces my goal was just to finish! Luckily I think I found the trick and can could've gotten it slimmer. But that's part of the learning process!

Sappheiros

Going up or down in price range/wattage, what does one get really? I'd be interested in being able to engrave/personalize a pen of mine for clients. I see wood does quite well, and I see acrylic has been questionable. Will higher wattage allow acrylic engraving? Does the acrylic just need a filler color? (Sorry if I'm butchering any of the terminology here)... Is this something easy to set up? I've got a Mac, though it can run Windows if needed.

mecompco

Going up or down in price range/wattage, what does one get really? I'd be interested in being able to engrave/personalize a pen of mine for clients. I see wood does quite well, and I see acrylic has been questionable. Will higher wattage allow acrylic engraving? Does the acrylic just need a filler color? (Sorry if I'm butchering any of the terminology here)... Is this something easy to set up? I've got a Mac, though it can run Windows if needed.

Supposedly the 2.5W models will engrave acrylic, though you have to use a filler. The 1W, which I have, will not. I don't see a point to going with any of the ones under 1W, not much price difference. I'd love to have a 40W, but that is a big price jump, especially if you factor in all the upgrades.

The 1W NEJE is very easy to set up. The software is for Windows. The engraver uses two USB ports, one for power and one for data. It really shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes to unbox it and get it up and running.

I think an additional advantage of the higher wattage ones is that one can engrave faster, and everyone knows faster is better!

If you don't have your heart set on engraving acrylic, I think the 1W is a very good deal. I've seen it down around $75.00 as of late.

Regards,
Michael

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
From what I can tell with my 2watt laser, you should be able to engrave plastics with a 1watt. The problem is control of the software. With the NEJE, you can control the power, but I don't think the speed. If you could get control of the software, I think even the 1watt would engrave acrylics. I've been able to engrave acrylics with the 2watt, even at 35% of its power by going slow.

keithncsu

With that logic why couldn't you just max out the burn time and just keep hitting the recarve button until it works? Or a lesser burn time and several recarves if that is better. Of course without moving the blank so that it stays in the same spot.

I may try that on a cutoff tomorrow.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
With that logic why couldn't you just max out the burn time and just keep hitting the recarve button until it works? Or a lesser burn time and several recarves if that is better. Of course without moving the blank so that it stays in the same spot.

I may try that on a cutoff tomorrow.
one test is worth a thousand opinions. It may just work. Darker colors will probably work better than light.

Last edited:

SSobel

So has anyone tried the 1000mw version on Alumilite or PR yet? Did it actually engrave, or did the pen say "Nice try...better luck next time" to the laser?

Just performed an experiment. Put an un-turned PR blank (PR from Woodnwhimsies) flat-side up in the engraver. At a burn speed of 60, which is plenty for wood, there were no results visible and the burn took about three minutes.

I then bumped the burn time all the way up. It took over 17 minutes. Yes, there is a very slight impression in the PR. Unless you know what it issupposed to be, you would probably be unable to read it.

So, I would say "no", 1W is not enough to engrave PR. I suspect Alumilite, acrylic, etc. would also not work.

Regards,
Michael

Michael,

I have an idea for you if you're willing to try...The reason the laser won't penetrate the PR is because it's a reflective surface. If you have a hunk of something laying around, hit it with 400 grit to knock of the "polished look" and try again.

mecompco

So has anyone tried the 1000mw version on Alumilite or PR yet? Did it actually engrave, or did the pen say "Nice try...better luck next time" to the laser?

Just performed an experiment. Put an un-turned PR blank (PR from Woodnwhimsies) flat-side up in the engraver. At a burn speed of 60, which is plenty for wood, there were no results visible and the burn took about three minutes.

I then bumped the burn time all the way up. It took over 17 minutes. Yes, there is a very slight impression in the PR. Unless you know what it issupposed to be, you would probably be unable to read it.

So, I would say "no", 1W is not enough to engrave PR. I suspect Alumilite, acrylic, etc. would also not work.

Regards,
Michael

Michael,

I have an idea for you if you're willing to try...The reason the laser won't penetrate the PR is because it's a reflective surface. If you have a hunk of something laying around, hit it with 400 grit to knock of the "polished look" and try again.

Great idea, as long as it burns deep enough to survive the sanding afterwards. Will give it a shot.

Jim Heaton

I ordered the laser from Gearbest.com on July 28. It was shipped by DHL. However there was a Customs problem and needed a FDA form completed. I spoke with a DHL Customs clerk with whom we decided to request the shipper complete the form. Today, after receiving no other information from DHL or Gearbest.com, I called DHL who informed me that the shipper ordered the package destroyed. Anyone Else have this problem?

keithncsu

Afraid I can't help with the question above.

However wanted to follow-up on my test of the acrylic mentioned above. It didn't work. Tried a burn time of 100 then immediately redid it at 240. Interestingly enough the black parts of the acrylic burned pretty deep. But the red sections didn't. It was almost like it bubbled up. Turned white in color so it was visible.

mecompco

I ordered the laser from Gearbest.com on July 28. It was shipped by DHL. However there was a Customs problem and needed a FDA form completed. I spoke with a DHL Customs clerk with whom we decided to request the shipper complete the form. Today, after receiving no other information from DHL or Gearbest.com, I called DHL who informed me that the shipper ordered the package destroyed. Anyone Else have this problem?

Nope. I've ordered three separate times from Gearbest with no issues. I would contact them.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco

However wanted to follow-up on my test of the acrylic mentioned above. It didn't work. Tried a burn time of 100 then immediately redid it at 240. Interestingly enough the black parts of the acrylic burned pretty deep. But the red sections didn't. It was almost like it bubbled up. Turned white in color so it was visible.

I think I recall someone saying you could use some sort of coloring on the acrylic--if it burned the dark area of the acrylic, it must have been reflecting off from the bright areas.

keithncsu

I think I recall someone saying you could use some sort of coloring on the acrylic--if it burned the dark area of the acrylic, it must have been reflecting off from the bright areas.

I was also burning on the shiny side. Wonder if I burned on the cut/rough edge if that would make a difference. May be a better representation of the final burn surface. Could micro mesh after burning. May try that next week when I get back from the beach.

mecompco

Crapped out!

Yup, the NEJE has gone t#&s up. Appears to be working, but only a very, very faint burn even at maximum time. Now I guess we'll see how good Gearbest's warranty service is.

Oh well, I've been eyeing that 40W job....

Regards,
Michael

mecompco

Uh oh. Let's hope the dominoes don't start falling for the other orders that went after yours! Keep us posted!

Will do! I really haven't put that many hours on it. I did do about 50-60 images on 1.5" wooden circles making 'fridge magnets for sale at upcoming shows and it worked fine. A few days later, went to engrave a pen barrel and nothing. Just spent some time messing with it again and even at the max 240 burn time, almost nothing. It looks and sounds like it is working, but no smoke. I'm thinking the laser diode has pooched.

If GB won't step up and replace it, I'm sure one can source a diode and change it. That will be Plan B. Plan C is a 40W (now sneak THAT past the Missus!).

Will keep everyone informed.

Regards,
Michael

olsenla

Hi, mine developed the same symptoms as yours after a few uses---but it was entirely my fault. I was so excited to try it that I was using it in my garage and the temperature was over 110°F and I hadn't got a fan yet to blow across the heat sink. Anyway, I found a replacement laser (chrome tube with the diode in it) on eBay for $21.00. All is good now. Weather cooled off, fan helps with smoke and heat. Laser works great!

Larry

mecompco

Hi, mine developed the same symptoms as yours after a few uses---but it was entirely my fault. I was so excited to try it that I was using it in my garage and the temperature was over 110°F and I hadn't got a fan yet to blow across the heat sink. Anyway, I found a replacement laser (chrome tube with the diode in it) on eBay for $21.00. All is good now. Weather cooled off, fan helps with smoke and heat. Laser works great!

Larry

I DID burn those 'fridge magnets pretty much one right after another--I may have gotten it too hot, so that makes sense. Do you have the link for the eBay diode? Wondering if one could drop a 2.5W in there?

I guess the lesson is to give this time to cool rather than trying to do a production run of something.

duncsuss

Wondering if one could drop a 2.5W in there

I'm sure you could find one that physically fits into the space, but that doesn't automatically mean it's a good idea.

A higher wattage laser diode requires more Amps -- which requires a controller circuit capable of delivering those additional Amps.

If the controller circuit is designed well, it will limit the current to something below its own burn-out limit -- but then you won't be getting any benefit from having a diode capable of higher power (but only running at 40% of its capacity.)

PapaTim

I did do about 50-60 images on 1.5" wooden circles making 'fridge magnets for sale at upcoming shows and it worked fine.
Regards,
Michael

A quick hijack. Are you using the rare earth magnets on those or the magnetic sheet material? I checked the "other things we make" section but it looks like you hadn't shared them there yet.

Sorry to hear about the diode burnout, hopefully GB will make it right.

mecompco

I did do about 50-60 images on 1.5" wooden circles making 'fridge magnets for sale at upcoming shows and it worked fine.
Regards,
Michael

A quick hijack. Are you using the rare earth magnets on those or the magnetic sheet material? I checked the "other things we make" section but it looks like you hadn't shared them there yet.

Sorry to hear about the diode burnout, hopefully GB will make it right.

I went cheap on the magnets:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018QGZ6Z8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They will probably hold one or two sheets of paper, but they aren't that strong. I made my circles more-or-less as decorations.

I used these wooden circles. They engrave very nicely:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008K1QSOI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,
Michael

mecompco

So after 45 days have expired, the options for a defective NEJE from Gearbest are:

1. Send it back to China on your own dime and they will repair it.
2. Keep it as-is and they will give you a $15.00 credit on your account.
3. Keep it as-is and they will sell you a new unit for $60.00.

I decided to spend the $21.95 and order a replacement head from the eBay link above. And I will take GB up on their $15.00 offer.

I have learned my lesson regarding the duty cycle of these devices! I'm thinking I'll rig up a little muffin fan or something for cooling when I get it back in working order.

Regards,
Michael

southernclay

That's not too bad overall, glad that they at least have some support. Thanks for all of the info on this thread.

DIY Violet Laser Engraver-234.85 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Has anyone ordered this one? I like the larger size for doing larger items, I would assume it would work just fine on pens as well with some sort of holder. If anyone has one please chime in.......trigger finger is getting itchy on this! : )

TonyL

That's not too bad overall, glad that they at least have some support. Thanks for all of the info on this thread.

DIY Violet Laser Engraver-234.85 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Has anyone ordered this one? I like the larger size for doing larger items, I would assume it would work just fine on pens as well with some sort of holder. If anyone has one please chime in.......trigger finger is getting itchy on this! : )

I was thinking the same Warren..I just don't feel like assembling it.

duncsuss

It's working great. The small desk fan really helps to keep everything cool.

Larry

Larry, how long did it take to arrive? I know shipping from China can be hit or miss. Hoping mine will arrive in a somewhat timely fashion. Thanks!

Regards,
Michael

Michael -- if you have time pressure to get some stuff done, I can lend you my engraver (it's the 1W -- sorry, 1000mW :rolleyes: -- version like yours.)

I don't know what the postage will cost, but it should get to you fairly quickly given you are just a couple of hours drive from me.

Top Bottom