Chinese Laser Engraver - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Default Pulled the trigger

We were starting to look at laser engravers ($8K for an Epilog?!!?!?) just a week ago when this thread started. Based on the comments up to this point, we also pulled the trigger on the 1W version. When it does show up, I will show some results on pens that we engrave to help add to the knowledge.
jdmacdo is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmacdo View Post
We were starting to look at laser engravers ($8K for an Epilog?!!?!?) just a week ago when this thread started. Based on the comments up to this point, we also pulled the trigger on the 1W version. When it does show up, I will show some results on pens that we engrave to help add to the knowledge.
You sure looked at both ends of the spectrum! 40 watts versus 1, bench top versus being able to hold in one hand, focussing distance lens vs looking at a dot, etc.....

Last edited by low_48; 05-03-2016 at 12:15 PM.
low_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_48 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmacdo View Post
You sure looked at both ends of the spectrum! 40 watts versus 1, bench top versus being able to hold in one hand, focussing distance lens vs looking at a dot, etc.....
No kidding... After falling off my chair when I found the price of the Epilog , I was happy to see the other end of the spectrum.

We were looking at the Epilog for some other non-pen projects, but at that cost, we still couldn't justify the cost of it. For now, we are going to stick to the pens and look to expand later...
jdmacdo is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigBaddy72 View Post
I actually purchased one of these and have had GREAT success engraving on slimlines. I'll get some pictures taken and posted of my results. Still learning though. I've found that freshly finished pens do NOT engrave well. The char from the engraving smudges and the finish gets tacky.

As for focusing the laser, I have had mixed results. I pretty much eye ball the precision. Text seems to engrave better than images. A wider pen, like a Sierra, has more surface to work with. I was surprised at how close I could get to the edges before the detail was lost.
Keith, thanks, that is exactly the sort of info I was looking for! Please, do, post some pix when you have the chance. Are you engraving in CA covered wood, Acrylic, both? Text is pretty much what I'm interested in.

Regards,
Michael

PS: Could one engrave on bare wood, then apply the finish?
I did my initial testing on unfinished unturned blanks, just to see the level of details I could get and to get a feel for the software.

My first official engraving was on a friction polish finished pen (gearshift), but it didn't look like the lazer liked the finish as the engraving wasn't as solid as I had hoped for. I believe it is because of the reflective properties of the finish. you can't engrave shiny materials as the laser is either bounced away or refracted further, thus impacting the intensity of the focal point.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I actually purchased one of these and have had GREAT success engraving on slimlines. I'll get some pictures taken and posted of my results. Still learning though. I've found that freshly finished pens do NOT engrave well. The char from the engraving smudges and the finish gets tacky.

As for focusing the laser, I have had mixed results. I pretty much eye ball the precision. Text seems to engrave better than images. A wider pen, like a Sierra, has more surface to work with. I was surprised at how close I could get to the edges before the detail was lost.
Keith, thanks, that is exactly the sort of info I was looking for! Please, do, post some pix when you have the chance. Are you engraving in CA covered wood, Acrylic, both? Text is pretty much what I'm interested in.

Regards,
Michael

I did my initial testing on unfinished unturned blanks, just to see the level of details I could get and to get a feel for the software.

My first official engraving was on a friction polish finished pen (gearshift), but it didn't look like the lazer liked the finish as the engraving wasn't as solid as I had hoped for. I believe it is because of the reflective properties of the finish. you can't engrave shiny materials as the laser is either bounced away or refracted further, thus impacting the intensity of the focal point.
That's pretty much what I am expecting. I had sort of planned to do the engraving prior to finishing and see how that works. I also envision personalizing wood pen boxes, etc.

Forked over the $8.00 for expedited shipping, so hope to have it in 10-12 days (I've dealt with Gearbest.com before--expedited 10-12 days, free shipping 25-30 days).
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
you can't engrave shiny materials as the laser is either bounced away or refracted further, thus impacting the intensity of the focal point.
Must be an issue with the incredibly low power, or a poor focus. No issues with finish on a 25 watt machine. I can get a little haze around the engraving, but a little rubbing alcohol takes it right off.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 49

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Regards,
Michael

That's pretty much what I am expecting. I had sort of planned to do the engraving prior to finishing and see how that works. I also envision personalizing wood pen boxes, etc.

Forked over the $8.00 for expedited shipping, so hope to have it in 10-12 days (I've dealt with Gearbest.com before--expedited 10-12 days, free shipping 25-30 days).
Mike, when you get this bad boy up and running, I would LOVE to take a drive to Fairfield to see this in action!

"Make a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, or set him on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life..."
pianomanpj is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #28 (permalink)

Here are some photos of some of the engraving I did on a Euro style twist pen. The pen is over a year old and was originally finished with friction polish. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, I just took them at my desk at work. From L to R: Dr Who, Superheroes, Military, more Military, over all view.

I have other pens at home that I practiced on, plus an un-turned blank with various fonts used.

As you can see, the smaller the image, the less detail you can get...but I believe there is some settings in the software program that can change that, but there really isn't a manual.

If these photos should go somewhere else, let me know. Wasn't sure where to put them.
Attached Thumbnails
20160504_142409.jpg   20160504_142429.jpg   20160504_142605.jpg   20160504_142503.jpg   20160504_142627.jpg  

Old 05-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Here are some photos of some of the engraving I did on a Euro style twist pen. The pen is over a year old and was originally finished with friction polish. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, I just took them at my desk at work. From L to R: Dr Who, Superheroes, Military, more Military, over all view.

I have other pens at home that I practiced on, plus an un-turned blank with various fonts used.

As you can see, the smaller the image, the less detail you can get...but I believe there is some settings in the software program that can change that, but there really isn't a manual.

If these photos should go somewhere else, let me know. Wasn't sure where to put them.
Keith, for the modest expenditure, I think those look great. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #30 (permalink)

Looks more successful with lettering than images in that scale.

Last edited by low_48; 05-04-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads