Chinese Laser Engraver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

I wanted to add this as a separate post but I think Inkscape (a free vector program) has some sort of program that interfaces with these cheap laser engravers.

So instead of burning it like a raster file it can burn vector files which are more like lines and shapes.

larryc

Last edited:

chartle

Yeah, I saw both of those posts as well. That 3D printed one looks great.

Here is that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGLZqveXE88

This could be done with out a 3d printer. Those gears and maybe the rack are cheap parts on Ebay or other sites.

With the one I made you only need 2 pieces of 1/4" mdf or plywood and a rubber band. The bushings, mandrel and slimline tubes I'm sure you already have.

Well I was just looking at parts and if you want the extra security of a toothed wheel here are more than enough parts to make a rack and pinion.

GT2 20 Teeth Aluminium Timing Pulley 2.5M 2GT Belt For 3D Printer RepRap Sale - Banggood.com

Actually they have all the parts to do it right and turn the pen directly from the mechanizm that moves the bed back and forth.

duncsuss

Well I was just looking at parts and if you want the extra security of a toothed wheel here are more than enough parts to make a rack and pinion.

GT2 20 Teeth Aluminium Timing Pulley 2.5M 2GT Belt For 3D Printer RepRap Sale - Banggood.com

Actually they have all the parts to do it right and turn the pen directly from the mechanizm that moves the bed back and forth.

That security comes at a price.

By definition, if the circumference at the drive location is not the same as the circumference of the barrel you are engraving, the image will be scaled in proportion to the ratio of the two. The horizontal axis will not be scaled, of course, so the image will be distorted instead of simply "wrapped around the barrel".

Using the bushings for the pen will be a closer match -- unless you get a cog machined for every different barrel diameter.

chartle

That security comes at a price.

By definition, if the circumference at the drive location is not the same as the circumference of the barrel you are engraving, the image will be scaled in proportion to the ratio of the two. The horizontal axis will not be scaled, of course, so the image will be distorted instead of simply "wrapped around the barrel".

Using the bushings for the pen will be a closer match -- unless you get a cog machined for every different barrel diameter.

Yea right, I now remember I thought of this before but remembered that there would be issues. But the one 3d printed jig does just that. Going to have to look into this more since dam those engravers are so cheap now.

Mach4

Here's my rotary engraving solution for the NeJe laser engraver. I'm using the 1500 mw version.

I used the concepts and basic design of the various pioneering efforts documented on the net. I designed the brackets and supports in Fusion 360 and printed them on a 3D printer. The mandrel is just a piece of 1/4" cold rolled with the diameter reduced a few thousandths. The bearings are ones I scavenged from some old inline skates. I was able to turn the bushings and the drive wheels on my metal lathe. The drive wheels are knurled to ensure no slippage against the rubber bands. The drive wheels are sized to the various barrel sizes of pens - they don't need to be exact just fairly close. I'm using plastic finishing bushings to hold the barrel square and secure.

Shown is my latest pen engraved with a Celtic knot design.

Attachments

• IMG_1120.JPG
    IMG_1120.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 197

Jadey

Having seen examples of what Ryan's machine will do, I've pulled the trigger on the 1mW model--under $100 including "expedited" shipping. Will report back when it arrives. Even if it will only do wood, that opens up a ton possibilites.

You won't be sorry! Next project I'll post a video of my rubber band driven rolling jig based on a couple ideas I saw. 1 coat of CA then start burning! Well worth the $100.00!

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

chartle

Question about engraving. On some flatwork it looks like the area around the graphic is sort of stained. Almost like the smoke blew across it.

Is this something normal or is it bad setup?

chartle

Well as a reward for filling my income taxes 1 day early, in 3 to 7, probably 5 or 6 I will be the proud owner of a new laser engraver.

At Gear Best if you pick the LA warehouse its actually cheaper than sending it from China.

I think I already have a use for it if it gets here and set up by mid May.

My boss has a team that completes in the BBQ contest at Memphis in May, second place whole hog:eat:, and I think I can sell him some pens. Enough to cover the cost of the supplies and the engraver. Figure I can make up some gun metal sierra/monets kits from woodnwhimsie. Not sure if I should source some mesquite wood blanks or just use some maple for max contrast. Any extra burning just adds to the decoration.

I also have access to all his graphics in the perfect format because I make all his signage.

Wondering what I should charge.

sbwertz

Question about engraving. On some flatwork it looks like the area around the graphic is sort of stained. Almost like the smoke blew across it.

Is this something normal or is it bad setup?

Two things...get a little fan (I bought a little usb fan from the dollar store!) and blow the smoke away. Second, reduce the burning time. Soft woods don't take very long at all, and if it isn't dark enough, hit "recarve" to burn it deeper without darkening the surrounding area. (Some 400/600 grit sandpaper on a sanding block will remove the stain without damaging the engraving.)

sbwertz

Well as a reward for filling my income taxes 1 day early, in 3 to 7, probably 5 or 6 I will be the proud owner of a new laser engraver.

At Gear Best if you pick the LA warehouse its actually cheaper than sending it from China.

I think I already have a use for it if it gets here and set up by mid May.

My boss has a team that completes in the BBQ contest at Memphis in May, second place whole hog:eat:, and I think I can sell him some pens. Enough to cover the cost of the supplies and the engraver. Figure I can make up some gun metal sierra/monets kits from woodnwhimsie. Not sure if I should source some mesquite wood blanks or just use some maple for max contrast. Any extra burning just adds to the decoration.

I also have access to all his graphics in the perfect format because I make all his signage.

Wondering what I should charge.

You will be amazed at the things you think of you can engrave! I make little wooden tags for the stuff from the blind center that shows the kind of wood it is made from and the ACBVI logo on the back. Also ID tags for canes with their name and phone number in case they lose them. My grandsons made id tags for their backpacks and musical instrument cases, and also engraved their phone number on the drone they built with their 3d printer. I engrave little 1" disks with a name (or wedding date in one case) and inlay them into the top of bottle stoppers, and also engrave a 5-speed shift pattern and inlay them into the top of gearshift-knob shaped bottle stoppers. Just use a forstner bit and drill out a little depression on the top of the stopper before removing it from the stopper mandrel. Glue in the disc and finish as usual.

If you are engraving dark wood get some "Rub N Buff" and rub into the engraving. (Apply a good hard finish BEFORE engraving so the Rub N Buff doesn't get into the grain of the wood, and burn it deep.)

Last edited:

chartle

Any More Issues with the service life of the laser diode?

Ok now that I have an engraver on order I'd like to know if anyone else is having diode life issues?

I just realized I was the second poster on this thread and somehow lost track of it and only picked it back up a few pages ago. Based on what I read I ordered one and hope it gets shipped soon, fingers crossed. I already have what maybe my first pen sales set up based on having this laser.

But anyway I decided to go back and read all the posts I missed for any tips and hit the section where 2 people had life issues with the diode.

I may need to do a hundred pens and I need to know should I have a spare diode (or 2) on hand and just assume that this is a consumable like ink for a printer? I do plan on having a fan on the heat sink and not try to tax it too much. I right now have a May 15th deadline.

I also guess if this takes off I could invest in a Non Toy engraver. :good:

wood-of-1kind

Ok now that I have an engraver on order I'd like to know if anyone else is having diode life issues?

I just realized I was the second poster on this thread and somehow lost track of it and only picked it back up a few pages ago. Based on what I read I ordered one and hope it gets shipped soon, fingers crossed. I already have what maybe my first pen sales set up based on having this laser.

But anyway I decided to go back and read all the posts I missed for any tips and hit the section where 2 people had life issues with the diode.

I may need to do a hundred pens and I need to know should I have a spare diode (or 2) on hand and just assume that this is a consumable like ink for a printer? I do plan on having a fan on the heat sink and not try to tax it too much. I right now have a May 15th deadline.

I have not had any issues with the diode (so far). Hopefully you will NOT do 100 pens at once as this is not a heavy duty unit. I try not to do more than 5 images in a row (per day). Remember this is a fairly inexpensive unit that is not engineered to be a workhorse. I love my little unit and it has worked well so far. :)

mecompco

Yup, had to replace my diode. I ran it pretty much straight for a couple of hours and the next time I went to use it, it wouldn't burn. A replacement diode from eBay and it was right back in business. Now I use a small fan and some restraint to hopefully make this one last longer.

chartle

Yup, had to replace my diode. I ran it pretty much straight for a couple of hours and the next time I went to use it, it wouldn't burn. A replacement diode from eBay and it was right back in business. Now I use a small fan and some restraint to hopefully make this one last longer.

You were one of the two posters I was referring to.

So the replacement is working better? And do you think its because the first diode was a dud or you are just "babying" it more?

I'll probably add a proper fan to the diode heat sink and maybe burn them every 5 min or so. Even if it totally dies I should make enough to cover buying a new one from this upcoming job. I'm thinking $20 per pen for maybe 50 or so, Holly crap that $1,000 minus $350 for kits blank and supplies. What the going rate for Sierra's with either a pecan or maple custom engraved blank?

Oh and I'm getting antsy. I ordered it Monday from the gear best LA warehouse and its just sitting there in a "Packed" status. :crying:

Oh and I understand ordering from China, I get a package of stuff from Banggood every two weeks or so but like I said this is from LA and will be shipped FedEx Smart post. So I know once FedEx gets it, its only 5 or so days to me.

Mach4

If you're using the unit for commercial purposes, it would be advisable to have a spare diode....heck, for $100 get a complete spare unit.

...cheap insurance

chartle

If you're using the unit for commercial purposes, it would be advisable to have a spare diode....heck, for $100 get a complete spare unit.

...cheap insurance

I got it for $68 shipped from LA so I could double my output. In fact, since its a sierra, I plan on turning two blanks at a time.

mecompco

Well, the original diode worked fine for the first six months or so, then once I ran around 80 engraved 'fridge magnets, it stopped working. Gave every indication of working, noise and light, but no burn. Swapped in the replacement and its been fine (have not used it as much, yet, either). If it is a mission critical piece of equipment for you, I think having a spare diode and/or spare engraver might not be a bad idea (diode was $22.00 on eBay).

duncsuss

... this is from LA and will be shipped FedEx Smart post. So I know once FedEx gets it, its only 5 or so days to me.

In my experience, this is not a realistic expectation. FedEx Smartpost has only one redeeming feature -- it's cheap for the shipper -- and their delivery estimates are about as reliable as a chocolate watch.

chartle

... this is from LA and will be shipped FedEx Smart post. So I know once FedEx gets it, its only 5 or so days to me.

In my experience, this is not a realistic expectation. FedEx Smartpost has only one redeeming feature -- it's cheap for the shipper -- and their delivery estimates are about as reliable as a chocolate watch.

I've ordered a fair amount of stuff from Banggood from China and their Los Angles warehouse. I usually order Friday and I sometimes get it on the next Friday or maybe Monday, usually because they try to deliver it on Saturday and since I send it to my work no one is there.

So I guess 5 days was a little too optimistic. I've gotten stuff from China in less than 10 or so calendar days but then I once forgot about a package and it showed up 2 months later.

OklaTurner

I just ordered the NEJE 1000mW laser for $72.36 shipped from Jet.com. Should be here sometime between 4/17 and 4/25.

I'm pretty excited to check this out. I have a Christmas order coming in soon that will make this thing worth the money.

--Micah

Just took delivery of my new engraver!! Only one week from order to delivery through www.jet.com. Package was in good condition and the laser was well packed. Unfortunately, I don't have any play time until Saturday.

Micah

chartle

Mine should be here next Thursday or Friday. I just realized I don't have anywhere to put it downstairs. I have a number of old XP computers to use but I guess I'm going to have to come up with something.

PatrickR

I couldn't resist. I got a colemeter 1000mv from amazon.

Is anyone selling the rotating jigs for these? I'd rather buy one that works than have to engineer it.

chartle

I couldn't resist. I got a colemeter 1000mv from amazon.

Is anyone selling the rotating jigs for these? I'd rather buy one that works than have to engineer it.

There are simple plans on a laser engraver help page on face book. I can post the name tomorrow.

chartle

You had to post this. You jinxed me. Just got an update and the new estimate is next Saturday which means Monday which means I lose a weekend. :mad::mad-tongue:

mecompco

duncsuss

You had to post this. You jinxed me. Just got an update and the new estimate is next Saturday which means Monday which means I lose a weekend. :mad::mad-tongue:

Sorry. At least I gave you two days in which you could prepare for the disappointment (such as stocking up on chocolate, amboyna burl blanks, baby back ribs, more amboyna burl blanks, etc.)

chartle

Incorrect. Mike Shortness is 3D printing and selling the rotary jigs.

I stand corrected.... Didn't find anything when doing research before designing and building mine.

Thanks

Hey, no problem! I know it's a fairly simple design, but for those who would rather pay than put the time into making one, it's an ($45.00) option.

After going to MPG I realized that a lot of pen turners only turn pens. They don't have access to "real" woodworking shop with things like table saws. I would assume most only have a lathe and a drill press. Heck some may even not have that and buy predrilled blanks.

Mikeyt

Where can I find or buy the mike shortness 3D rotary jig for the neje laser engraver. I saw the video and would like to buy one. Any information is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

PatrickR

Well that was disappointing. after one day mine is going back. it worked initially and I burned about a half dozen tests. It stopped being recognized by the computer, tried it on another but no luck. I'm glad I got it from amazon. I'll have to decide if I want to try another of the same or get the newer Bluetooth model.

chartle

Sorry. At least I gave you two days in which you could prepare for the disappointment (such as stocking up on chocolate, amboyna burl blanks, baby back ribs, more amboyna burl blanks, etc.)

Well me sacrificing one of those amboyna burl blanks over the weekend must have made a difference and that scan on Friday saying it went back to CA was wrong and instead it went 3/4 across the country over the weekend and is sitting outside Columbus only 200 miles away.

Now its saying its going to delivered Friday. I think it may get here before then but don't want to jinx it.

AND YOU BETTER NOT ALSO :angry:

chartle

Ok engraver just got here. And I now understand why people can have issues with FedEx smartpost.

Here is the journey of my package. Notice it crossed the Ohio/PA border 5 times in the last 3 days. :confused:

I had heard that the various shipper's automated system that have trouble reading the addresses on the labels and sometimes read the return address and start to send it back to where it came from but then that hub reads it correctly and sends back in the right direction.

Ok done with my mini rant got to get this hooked up. :)

4/27/2017 - Thursday

• 10:27 am Delivered PITTSBURGH, PA
  • 8:25 am Out for delivery PITTSBURGH, PA
  • 4:08 am At U.S. Postal Service facility PITTSBURGH, PA
  • 12:29 am Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST CLINTON, PA

4/26/2017 - Wednesday

• 3:59 pm Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST CLINTON, PA
  • 5:09 am Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST GROVEPORT, OH
  • 1:04 am Departed FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST CLINTON, PA

4/25/2017 - Tuesday

• 11:54 pm Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST GROVEPORT, OH
  • 11:12 am Arrived at FedEx location FEDEX SMARTPOST CLINTON, PA