Chinese Laser Engraver - Page 11 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #101 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I am curious about this working on steel, as there seems to be mixed and conflicting information available.

Do any of you current owners have the ability/willingness to test this? If it does work, that will definitely seal the deal for me.
ssalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalvage View Post
I am curious about this working on steel, as there seems to be mixed and conflicting information available.

Do any of you current owners have the ability/willingness to test this? If it does work, that will definitely seal the deal for me.
If someone does this test, for God's sake WEAR LASER PROTECTION GLASSES. You'll be bouncing a laser beam around the room! My 25 watt will NOT etch steel, unless I use Cermark coating. Then it is just a coating on the surface.
low_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #103 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Getting there - quickly (and partially) turned this hard wood blank (on a 7mm tube) - sanded with 600 grit - Lithos Pro 48pt typeface in Photoshop, saved as jpeg - burned at a speed of 60 with a little fan blowing smoke away:

- Bob
(for $87.00, it works surprisingly well)
Bob in SF is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2016, 04:03 AM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in SF View Post
Getting there - quickly (and partially) turned this hard wood blank (on a 7mm tube) - sanded with 600 grit - Lithos Pro 48pt typeface in Photoshop, saved as jpeg - burned at a speed of 60 with a little fan blowing smoke away:

- Bob
(for $87.00, it works surprisingly well)
Bob, that looks nice. The fan seems to make a big difference. I agree with you, I'm happy with the device for the modest cost.

I'll be interested to see how the engraving looks under a finish. Time permitting, I'll make up a couple of pens to test this weekend.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #105 (permalink)

Photos: 1

1st hardwood slimline - burned outside since there was a nice breeze for smoke relief (obvious benefit of burn-anywhere portability) at a speed of 60 after sanding to 600 grit followed by 2 applications of Myland's Sanding Sealer. Finish = 3 applications of Myland's High Friction Polish. So far, so good - and grateful to Michael for starting this thread:

Best regards - Bob
(more tests ahead this weekend)
Bob in SF is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #106 (permalink)
KCW

Photos: 13

Got mine last night, can't wait to get it up and running! I know, I know, some people want to beat this thing to death, because it isn't a $5000 laser, but for something I can afford, it looks to do a decent job. I don't believe that it has to be all or nothing, why not start with a bargain basement machine and see where it takes me. If I had to wait until I had 5 grand, to start, I would never start!
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-20-2016, 10:16 AM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in SF View Post
1st hardwood slimline - burned outside since there was a nice breeze for smoke relief (obvious benefit of burn-anywhere portability) at a speed of 60 after sanding to 600 grit followed by 2 applications of Myland's Sanding Sealer. Finish = 3 applications of Myland's High Friction Polish. So far, so good - and grateful to Michael for starting this thread:

Best regards - Bob
(more tests ahead this weekend)
That looks awesome!
Just to be clear, did you burn THEN sand and finish... or did you sand to 600, apply 2 layers of finish, and then burn?
ssalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-20-2016, 11:12 AM   #108 (permalink)

Bob, you're welcome, and thanks for sharing your experiments. I think that pen looks awesome.

No, this won't do what a $5K engraver will, but for the cost of two or three bags of groceries, I think it's well worth the price.

I think this will be a great way to easily add value to wooden pens, not to mention boxes, etc. I also plan on making customized wooden tags for my pens for the upcoming show season.

Regards,
Michael
Old 05-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #109 (permalink)

which one have you guys been ordering? the link that was initially posted takes me to a model that you configure before adding it to the cart.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:37 PM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turned Around View Post
which one have you guys been ordering? the link that was initially posted takes me to a model that you configure before adding it to the cart.
This one: NEJE DK-8-KZ 1000mW Laser Engraver Printer-97.41 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

$87.99 with free standard shipping, an extra $8.00 for expedited.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads