Chinese Laser Engraver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

So I find that for around $100 one can get a 1 watt laser engraver from China. The demo videos on YouTube look pretty good, but they are using flat stock. Has anyone tried one of these on a pen? Thanks!

Regards,
Michael

chartle

So I find that for around $100 one can get a 1 watt laser engraver from China. The demo videos on YouTube look pretty good, but they are using flat stock. Has anyone tried one of these on a pen? Thanks!

Regards,
Michael

Not sure where I saw it but you can engrave the round surface of a pen as long as you don't go too close to the edge.

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

Not sure where I saw it but you can engrave the round surface of a pen as long as you don't go too close to the edge.

That is precisely what I was wondering. You have to focus the laser on the work piece, so I would think that engraving a name, for instance, on a pen would lose resolution as the focus point moved due to the rounded surface.

chartle

I had thought of a hack where you put the pen on a mandrel and then come up with a way to press it against the platform. As the platform moves back and forth it rotates the pen so you can go all the way around.

Might need to mirror the image since up is down.

low_48

That subject comes up on here every so often. Not heard of any results, but many ask about it. The ones at that price use a laser diode, not a laser tube. Are you sure you can focus it? The one video I saw, it burns one pixel at a time. If you buy it, please post the results so there is a reference on the site. The smallest wattage of a typical laser engraver is 25 watts. Most folks use a 60 watt or higher if they are cutting the inlay kits. The one you saw is really on the verge of being a toy. Tiny stepper motors, tiny work surface, even more tiny laser source. Also if you get it, wear laser protective eye care. With no enclosure around it, a reflected laser source can hurt your eyes.

Joey-Nieves

For the price a 1 watt laser is worth the risk, it supports windows 10 and it's portable. 1 Watt or 1000mw should be enough to overcome the small curve of the pen, but as in all engravers, the top side will be deeper than the edges. I fill the engraving with acrylic paint from my daughters art kit, looks great.

This 5.5 W seems interesting but it does not support windows 10 and the board is bought separately, although it may be able to engrave the ruler lines on a piece of plywood. 5500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine-391.48 | GearBest.com

As my father would tell me "as soon as the frog grows hair" I can have it!

Joey

DigBaddy72

I actually purchased one of these and have had GREAT success engraving on slimlines. I'll get some pictures taken and posted of my results. Still learning though. I've found that freshly finished pens do NOT engrave well. The char from the engraving smudges and the finish gets tacky.

As for focusing the laser, I have had mixed results. I pretty much eye ball the precision. Text seems to engrave better than images. A wider pen, like a Sierra, has more surface to work with. I was surprised at how close I could get to the edges before the detail was lost.

mecompco

I actually purchased one of these and have had GREAT success engraving on slimlines. I'll get some pictures taken and posted of my results. Still learning though. I've found that freshly finished pens do NOT engrave well. The char from the engraving smudges and the finish gets tacky.

As for focusing the laser, I have had mixed results. I pretty much eye ball the precision. Text seems to engrave better than images. A wider pen, like a Sierra, has more surface to work with. I was surprised at how close I could get to the edges before the detail was lost.

Keith, thanks, that is exactly the sort of info I was looking for! Please, do, post some pix when you have the chance. Are you engraving in CA covered wood, Acrylic, both? Text is pretty much what I'm interested in.

Regards,
Michael

PS: Could one engrave on bare wood, then apply the finish?

vwa3guy

Michael, if you are on facebook, join the pen turners group. the neje has been discussed and reviewed to death. I bought one on ebay (300mw) and it is fantastic. you won't be cutting any plywood or doing any acrylic with any of these but it will engrave and it does it well.

mecompco

Michael, if you are on facebook, join the pen turners group. the neje has been discussed and reviewed to death. I bought one on ebay (300mw) and it is fantastic. you won't be cutting any plywood or doing any acrylic with any of these but it will engrave and it does it well.

Thank you, I will see if I can find the group. I've thus far only used FB to show off my pens and drive traffic to my web site.

Regards,
Michael

raar25

The web site states it doesn't engrave acrylic, is that true? I am certainly interested but I do a lot of acrylic pens so it loses a lot of value if I cant do 1/2 of my items.

Joey-Nieves

Can you post a link, please

low_48

There is a special spray that is used for engraving on metals, it eliminates the glare.

That special spray is not there to reduce the glare. I think it is something a bit like a ceramic glaze. The metal never gets engraved, you just have a mark left on the surface. They have black for metal and white for stainless steel. They have multiple colors for ceramic and glass. They talk about 25-30 watt machines having trouble working with Cermark, so will probably not work at all with these 1 watt or less toys.

smik

I'm in the process of adding a laser to my cnc router setup. Im using the 445nm blue diode rated at 1.8W. When I figure it all out and put together I can add my results.

Joey-Nieves

Although I haven't seen him do it, my engraver says he uses it on metal and that examples he's shown me the metal is engraved. He's offered to engrave my clips. I mite give it a try next week

mike4066

I have the cheap 300mw version. You can actually see it in the background.

This is the first pen I tried 10 minutes after I got it setup. I'm thinking of upgrading it to a 2.5w, or just getting a newer/larger machine.

Attachments

• 20160402_124732.jpg
    20160402_124732.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,286
Last edited:

jdmacdo

Pulled the trigger

We were starting to look at laser engravers ($8K for an Epilog?!!?!?) just a week ago when this thread started. Based on the comments up to this point, we also pulled the trigger on the 1W version. When it does show up, I will show some results on pens that we engrave to help add to the knowledge.

low_48

We were starting to look at laser engravers ($8K for an Epilog?!!?!?) just a week ago when this thread started. Based on the comments up to this point, we also pulled the trigger on the 1W version. When it does show up, I will show some results on pens that we engrave to help add to the knowledge.

You sure looked at both ends of the spectrum! 40 watts versus 1, bench top versus being able to hold in one hand, focussing distance lens vs looking at a dot, etc.....

Last edited:

jdmacdo

You sure looked at both ends of the spectrum! 40 watts versus 1, bench top versus being able to hold in one hand, focussing distance lens vs looking at a dot, etc.....

No kidding... After falling off my chair when I found the price of the Epilog :eek:, I was happy to see the other end of the spectrum.

We were looking at the Epilog for some other non-pen projects, but at that cost, we still couldn't justify the cost of it. For now, we are going to stick to the pens and look to expand later...

DigBaddy72

Keith, thanks, that is exactly the sort of info I was looking for! Please, do, post some pix when you have the chance. Are you engraving in CA covered wood, Acrylic, both? Text is pretty much what I'm interested in.

Regards,
Michael

I did my initial testing on unfinished unturned blanks, just to see the level of details I could get and to get a feel for the software.

My first official engraving was on a friction polish finished pen (gearshift), but it didn't look like the lazer liked the finish as the engraving wasn't as solid as I had hoped for. I believe it is because of the reflective properties of the finish. you can't engrave shiny materials as the laser is either bounced away or refracted further, thus impacting the intensity of the focal point.

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

I did my initial testing on unfinished unturned blanks, just to see the level of details I could get and to get a feel for the software.

My first official engraving was on a friction polish finished pen (gearshift), but it didn't look like the lazer liked the finish as the engraving wasn't as solid as I had hoped for. I believe it is because of the reflective properties of the finish. you can't engrave shiny materials as the laser is either bounced away or refracted further, thus impacting the intensity of the focal point.

That's pretty much what I am expecting. I had sort of planned to do the engraving prior to finishing and see how that works. I also envision personalizing wood pen boxes, etc.

Forked over the $8.00 for expedited shipping, so hope to have it in 10-12 days (I've dealt with Gearbest.com before--expedited 10-12 days, free shipping 25-30 days).

low_48

you can't engrave shiny materials as the laser is either bounced away or refracted further, thus impacting the intensity of the focal point.

Must be an issue with the incredibly low power, or a poor focus. No issues with finish on a 25 watt machine. I can get a little haze around the engraving, but a little rubbing alcohol takes it right off.

pianomanpj

Regards,
Michael

That's pretty much what I am expecting. I had sort of planned to do the engraving prior to finishing and see how that works. I also envision personalizing wood pen boxes, etc.

Forked over the $8.00 for expedited shipping, so hope to have it in 10-12 days (I've dealt with Gearbest.com before--expedited 10-12 days, free shipping 25-30 days).

Mike, when you get this bad boy up and running, I would LOVE to take a drive to Fairfield to see this in action! :biggrin:

DigBaddy72

Here are some photos of some of the engraving I did on a Euro style twist pen. The pen is over a year old and was originally finished with friction polish. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, I just took them at my desk at work. From L to R: Dr Who, Superheroes, Military, more Military, over all view.

I have other pens at home that I practiced on, plus an un-turned blank with various fonts used.

As you can see, the smaller the image, the less detail you can get...but I believe there is some settings in the software program that can change that, but there really isn't a manual.

If these photos should go somewhere else, let me know. Wasn't sure where to put them.

Attachments

• 20160504_142409.jpg
    20160504_142409.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 881
  • 20160504_142429.jpg
    20160504_142429.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 870
  • 20160504_142605.jpg
    20160504_142605.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 786
  • 20160504_142503.jpg
    20160504_142503.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 657
  • 20160504_142627.jpg
    20160504_142627.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 822

mecompco

Here are some photos of some of the engraving I did on a Euro style twist pen. The pen is over a year old and was originally finished with friction polish. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, I just took them at my desk at work. From L to R: Dr Who, Superheroes, Military, more Military, over all view.

I have other pens at home that I practiced on, plus an un-turned blank with various fonts used.

As you can see, the smaller the image, the less detail you can get...but I believe there is some settings in the software program that can change that, but there really isn't a manual.

If these photos should go somewhere else, let me know. Wasn't sure where to put them.

Keith, for the modest expenditure, I think those look great. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Michael

elkhorn

Thanks for sharing, Keith. Did you do the engraving before or after you finished the pens? Also, what did you use for the infill on the engraving?

DigBaddy72

Right now, no infill used. I do have some powders that I will play with this weekend. As for images, yeah, the smaller they are, the tougher they are to get to look good.

This pen was built last year and the finish was over a year old so it wasn't fresh or shiny. Good results. I tried engraving on a pen that I made on Friday and it didnt look so good, almost as if the friction polish melted a little.

More to come this weekend!

DigBaddy72

I answered a few questions over on woodbarter about this engraver and thought I would share this little bit of info on the software.

The one I bought comes with a 1GB micro SD card that has the drivers on it. I ran the driver install program and then just ran the executeable. I did notice that the micro USB cord that goes from the engraver to my laptop is a bit funky. Meaning that if you wiggle it, the engraver disconnects from the machine, but the software does not give any indication of this. I end up having to shut down the software, unplug both cords from the engraver, then plug in the power, then the USB to the laptop and then start the software again. Speaking of the software, there NO directions on what the settings do. There is a burn time setting, and a run time setting(?). Other than that, the interface is somewhat self explanatory. I found it fairly easy to pick up what buttons do what. My biggest suggestion to someone using this is to PLAY with it. Don't be afraid to ask yourself "I wonder what happens if I do...". You can engrave on pen blanks to your heart's content. It doesn't burn that deep. You can easily turn the engraving off when you put the blank on your lathe.the one I bought comes with a 1GB micro SD card that has the drivers on it. I ran the driver install program and then just ran the executeable. I did notice that the micro USB cord that goes from the engraver to my laptop is a bit funky. Meaning that if you wiggle it, the engraver disconnects from the machine, but the software does not give any indication of this. I end up having to shut down the software, unplug both cords from the engraver, then plug in the power, then the USB to the laptop and then start the software again. Speaking of the software, there NO directions on what the settings do. There is a burn time setting, and a run time setting(?). Other than that, the interface is somewhat self explanatory. I found it fairly easy to pick up what buttons do what. My biggest suggestion to someone using this is to PLAY with it. Don't be afraid to ask yourself "I wonder what happens if I do...". You can engrave on pen blanks to your heart's content. It doesn't burn that deep. You can easily turn the engraving off when you put the blank on your lathe.

Once I am done with my current commission I plan on shooting a full how to video of this thing.

low_48

I answered a few questions over on woodbarter about this engraver and thought I would share this little bit of info on the software.

The one I bought comes with a 1GB micro SD card that has the drivers on it. I ran the driver install program and then just ran the executeable. I did notice that the micro USB cord that goes from the engraver to my laptop is a bit funky. Meaning that if you wiggle it, the engraver disconnects from the machine, but the software does not give any indication of this. I end up having to shut down the software, unplug both cords from the engraver, then plug in the power, then the USB to the laptop and then start the software again. Speaking of the software, there NO directions on what the settings do. There is a burn time setting, and a run time setting(?). Other than that, the interface is somewhat self explanatory. I found it fairly easy to pick up what buttons do what. My biggest suggestion to someone using this is to PLAY with it. Don't be afraid to ask yourself "I wonder what happens if I do...". You can engrave on pen blanks to your heart's content. It doesn't burn that deep. You can easily turn the engraving off when you put the blank on your lathe.the one I bought comes with a 1GB micro SD card that has the drivers on it. I ran the driver install program and then just ran the executeable. I did notice that the micro USB cord that goes from the engraver to my laptop is a bit funky. Meaning that if you wiggle it, the engraver disconnects from the machine, but the software does not give any indication of this. I end up having to shut down the software, unplug both cords from the engraver, then plug in the power, then the USB to the laptop and then start the software again. Speaking of the software, there NO directions on what the settings do. There is a burn time setting, and a run time setting(?). Other than that, the interface is somewhat self explanatory. I found it fairly easy to pick up what buttons do what. My biggest suggestion to someone using this is to PLAY with it. Don't be afraid to ask yourself "I wonder what happens if I do...". You can engrave on pen blanks to your heart's content. It doesn't burn that deep. You can easily turn the engraving off when you put the blank on your lathe.

Once I am done with my current commission I plan on shooting a full how to video of this thing.

Does using a cheap Chinese laser cause your brain to skip a beat......... Just kidding, couldn't help myself!

Bob in SF

I just (impulse) bought the 1000mW model for $87.99 (free shipping) here:
NEJE DK-8-KZ 1000mW Laser Engraver Printer-97.41 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
Planning to burn onto slimlines pre-finish.
Also interested in burning through water color-painted wood based on some success with this technique in past efforts at traditional pyrography (burnt water colors have nice color shifts).
I'll post pix when I get it going.

mecompco

I just (impulse) bought the 1000mW model for $87.99 (free shipping) here:
NEJE DK-8-KZ 1000mW Laser Engraver Printer-97.41 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com
Planning to burn onto slimlines pre-finish.
Also interested in burning through water color-painted wood based on some success with this technique in past efforts at traditional pyrography (burnt water colors have nice color shifts).
I'll post pix when I get it going.

Yup, that is what mine was--they do go off sale, but come back on if you wait a bit. Being a bit impatient to get it, I did pony up the 8 bucks for expedited shipping. I've had good luck with purchases from gearbest.com in the past.

I did look at the bigger 2.5w model, but that was a bit more than I wanted to spend, and you have to fab a plate for it. Besides, the list of materials it works on seem to be the same as the smaller ones.

Bob in SF

Michael - I should have gone for expedited shipping - I might be a little older when it arrives.

Here's what I meant about burning through water color - bass wood sanded to 1,000 grit; airbrushed/hand brushed watercolor, then pyrography with Razertip pen/hand ground points - about 3x4" (little commission for an entomologist):
attachment.php

I'm eager to combine laser and micro-pyrography burning - hence the impulse buy of the little laser unit.

Warm regards - Bob

Attachments

• ButterflyWatercolorPyrography,markison,2016.jpg
    ButterflyWatercolorPyrography,markison,2016.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 2,046
Top Bottom