Chinese Laser Engraver - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 8

Default Chinese Laser Engraver

So I find that for around $100 one can get a 1 watt laser engraver from China. The demo videos on YouTube look pretty good, but they are using flat stock. Has anyone tried one of these on a pen? Thanks!

Regards,
Michael
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post
So I find that for around $100 one can get a 1 watt laser engraver from China. The demo videos on YouTube look pretty good, but they are using flat stock. Has anyone tried one of these on a pen? Thanks!

Regards,
Michael
Not sure where I saw it but you can engrave the round surface of a pen as long as you don't go too close to the edge.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecompco View Post

Regards,
Michael
Not sure where I saw it but you can engrave the round surface of a pen as long as you don't go too close to the edge.
That is precisely what I was wondering. You have to focus the laser on the work piece, so I would think that engraving a name, for instance, on a pen would lose resolution as the focus point moved due to the rounded surface.
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had thought of a hack where you put the pen on a mandrel and then come up with a way to press it against the platform. As the platform moves back and forth it rotates the pen so you can go all the way around.

Might need to mirror the image since up is down.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

That subject comes up on here every so often. Not heard of any results, but many ask about it. The ones at that price use a laser diode, not a laser tube. Are you sure you can focus it? The one video I saw, it burns one pixel at a time. If you buy it, please post the results so there is a reference on the site. The smallest wattage of a typical laser engraver is 25 watts. Most folks use a 60 watt or higher if they are cutting the inlay kits. The one you saw is really on the verge of being a toy. Tiny stepper motors, tiny work surface, even more tiny laser source. Also if you get it, wear laser protective eye care. With no enclosure around it, a reflected laser source can hurt your eyes.
low_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 33

could you post a link for youtube demo?
Old 04-29-2016, 04:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

The model is NEJE DK-8-KZ, from GearBest: Online Shopping - Best Gear at Best Prices. In the demos, they are engraving wood and making smoke. They show having to focus the laser and the wearing of protective eye wear.

Here is one video, there are a few others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XSc9q_qwp8
Old 04-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 33

For the price a 1 watt laser is worth the risk, it supports windows 10 and it's portable. 1 Watt or 1000mw should be enough to overcome the small curve of the pen, but as in all engravers, the top side will be deeper than the edges. I fill the engraving with acrylic paint from my daughters art kit, looks great.

This 5.5 W seems interesting but it does not support windows 10 and the board is bought separately, although it may be able to engrave the ruler lines on a piece of plywood. 5500mw A5 Mini Laser Engraving Machine-391.48 | GearBest.com

As my father would tell me "as soon as the frog grows hair" I can have it!

Joey
Old 05-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

I actually purchased one of these and have had GREAT success engraving on slimlines. I'll get some pictures taken and posted of my results. Still learning though. I've found that freshly finished pens do NOT engrave well. The char from the engraving smudges and the finish gets tacky.

As for focusing the laser, I have had mixed results. I pretty much eye ball the precision. Text seems to engrave better than images. A wider pen, like a Sierra, has more surface to work with. I was surprised at how close I could get to the edges before the detail was lost.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigBaddy72 View Post
I actually purchased one of these and have had GREAT success engraving on slimlines. I'll get some pictures taken and posted of my results. Still learning though. I've found that freshly finished pens do NOT engrave well. The char from the engraving smudges and the finish gets tacky.

As for focusing the laser, I have had mixed results. I pretty much eye ball the precision. Text seems to engrave better than images. A wider pen, like a Sierra, has more surface to work with. I was surprised at how close I could get to the edges before the detail was lost.
Keith, thanks, that is exactly the sort of info I was looking for! Please, do, post some pix when you have the chance. Are you engraving in CA covered wood, Acrylic, both? Text is pretty much what I'm interested in.

Regards,
Michael

PS: Could one engrave on bare wood, then apply the finish?
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads