Chinese Laser

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

Two years ago I broke down and bought a 40W Chinese laser. I am not tech wizard but I got it working and like the results - I use it for simple pen engraving - Names etc.
The laser is water cooled and you have a bucket/container of water and drop a small pump in it and it circulates water through the laser. Here is the problem I am having - after a few days the water turns slimy- I mean slimy - still clear but slimy! I am concerned whether or not this is hurting the laser? Also are there any options for me rather than a bucket of water? Are there any simple fixes?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That sounds to me like a pretty hokey arrangement for cooling.

At the very least, you should change the water in the bucket after every use of the laser ... my opinion based on what you have stated about the slime formation.

I would also think that it would be quite safe to do away with the water pump and connect the coolant inlet hose to a household tap (with appropriate connector and water pressure regulator) and connect the coolant outlet hose to a drain.

Bear in mind, this is my "unqualified" opinion based on no experience with the kind of laser you are using, but also based on a lifetime of professional experience with other kinds of scientific equipment.

Last edited:

keithbyrd

Thanks Brian - It looks like the chiller costs more than the Laser did! (Almost!) THat seems like a lot of chilling for what I do. Do they make and can I get by with a smaller unit?

Do you think this will work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-CW-30...ser-Engraver/163020408815?hash=item25f4c607ef

I just found additional information. You have to add water to this and empty after use - not sure it buys me anything?

Last edited:

MSpringer

Does it have to be water? I would think that a 50/50 antifreeze/coolant would work better for heat extraction.

TonyL

I have no idea how safe this is or how the whole cooling thing works, but how about a single drop of chlorine bleach in the water?

MRDucks2

Hey, Keith, what is the source of your water? Is it city water, well water or a cistern. Do you have a water softener of any other treatment/filter on your household water system?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

KCW

I don't know if this will help, but I have some high dollar equipment in my testing lab that uses distilled water, with and additive, for cooling (the additive is basically waterbed conditioner). I don't have the laser you are speaking about, so I don't know if there would be any issues in that instance.

brownsfn2

Use an enclosed container so that the water is in complete darkness. You can also used distilled water which will help. I use a large 10 gallon storage container with distilled water. I change the water once per year. Honestly no problems at all. I think I have had my laser for 3 years now. Distilled water will help a lot. No need to hook it up to faucet. Hope that helps.

keithbyrd

Use an enclosed container so that the water is in complete darkness. You can also used distilled water which will help. I use a large 10 gallon storage container with distilled water. I change the water once per year. Honestly no problems at all. I think I have had my laser for 3 years now. Distilled water will help a lot. No need to hook it up to faucet. Hope that helps.

Thank you Ron! That seems to be the simplest answer! Now the next question - do you put the pump in the water container and drill holes for the lines to the laser?

hanau

I use a 5 gallon bucket with distilled water and a harbor freight pond pump. I also have a water flow meter if it doesn't detected the water movement it will not let the laser fire.I had a pump go out and and killed the laser tube so I found a meter and installed it. Which i need to order a new one since the meter died.

this is the one i used.
https://www.lightobject.com/Water-f...deal-for-CO2-laser-water-protection-P815.aspx

Last edited:

brownsfn2

Thank you Ron! That seems to be the simplest answer! Now the next question - do you put the pump in the water container and drill holes for the lines to the laser?

Yep. Absolutely. I drilled two holes. One to pump water out and one for the return water. Also use a thermometer to determine the water temp and make sure it doesn't overheat. Make sure the outgoing and incoming water holes are far apart or you will not give it time to cool. I use a container that is large and rectangular to create large surface area for heat to be reduced. Hope that makes sense.

keithbyrd

Hey, Keith, what is the source of your water? Is it city water, well water or a cistern. Do you have a water softener of any other treatment/filter on your household water system?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

It is city water - but it is in a bucket and after setting a few days it gets slimy! Not hard water so no filtering or treatment system.

keithbyrd

Folks - thanks for the inputs.. I am not ignoring the posts but had to go to California to visit an ailing sister - will e home middle of the week and hoping to start on the solution - will post how I ultimately solve it!

Top Bottom