cheating? flap disk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mjrbuzz

since i mostly turn out doors, i found that using flap disk on a 4" grinder really helps me get my hard acrylic blanks down close to the bushings without heating them up to much or chipping out. I guess this may be cheating but man it gets the job done.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

since i mostly turn out doors, i found that using flap disk on a 4" grinder really helps me get my hard acrylic blanks down close to the bushings without heating them up to much or chipping out. I guess this may be cheating but man it gets the job done.

Humm..! I could I not to comment...???:wink::biggrin:

Cheating...???, why...??? is using a rasp, coarse sandpaper, a metal lathe, a CNC and God knows, what else, any different...???

The flap disk, is just another way to skin the cat, particularly when other options didn't work.

Mastering the 40 grit flap disc, spinning at high speed and not touch the bushings and get it right to hand sanding stages, can be as difficult as turn a pen with a skew and not be allowed to use and sandpaper, and everything in between.

Its not a big deal, really...!
Those against it should try it at least once, they would be pleasantly surprised of how they no longer lose a single blank from blowing up, blanks a fragile nature, such as many if not most of the segmented with or without aluminium or other spacers material, and so many others, can benefit greatelly this this technique/method.

No, there is absolutely no reason, in my view, to be ashamed/embarrassed or guilty to use the flap disc, when one so wishes...!:)

Cheers
George

Last edited:

wyone

I tried it at George's recommendation. Of course I trusted he would not mislead me and he did not. I have used it many times, mostly with more difficult woods and things like copper and leather.

Is it cheating?? hmmm where is this rulebook? I guess I did not get a copy of the rules. Call me a violator! :) :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I tried it at George's recommendation. Of course I trusted he would not mislead me and he did not. I have used it many times, mostly with more difficult woods and things like copper and leather.

Is it cheating?? hmmm where is this rulebook? I guess I did not get a copy of the rules. Call me a violator! :) :)

Sorry... no rules book! What works for you...is what is good for you!

robutacion

I did forge to mention that i read about it from some of Georges post and his website, wanna give him the full credit.

Thanks but, no need for that, I have made lots of recommendations on IAP, some are well accepted some not so however, is not so much the way they are received but, how they will facilitate/help things sometimes.

Sure, it pleases me when someone finds the system, an usable one, that's good enough for me...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom