Chamerfing Jig for synthetic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czarcastic

Blank “Rounding†Jig

When turning synthetics (corian, acrylics, PR, etc), its easier and safer - not to mention less wear on your turning tools â€" to start with a blank with the sides rounded off. This also reduces the risk of blow-out on the edges when “roughing-out†your blank.
The easiest way to do this is on the bench sander.

Unfortunately, it’s not always easy to hold the blanks in your hand without sanding off several layers of skin, or occasionally watching the blank slip from your hands and use your bench sander as a launching catapult to go careening across your workshop.

I built this simple jig out of scrap wood. This jig provides a very safe and effective way to help hold the blank on the sanding belt, and to provide the most efficient angle to make short work of “chamfering†your blank.

2005910205651_100_1711.jpg

You will need:
About 16†of scrap 1x4 hardwood. (I used poplar)
(cut into 1-6†piece, and 1 6-3/8†piece)
A 6â€-8†piece of hardboard
A small hinge

The construction is simple.
1) Cut a 6†piece of hardwood from your 14†piece
2) Cut a 45° miter along the 1†side
3) Glue the edges of the two mitered pieces to a 6-3/8†piece of hardwood so the hardwood is at 90° to the mitered edges and the “throat†of the miters is about 3/8†apart (photo)
2005910205718_100_1705.jpg

4) Rout a “V†groove into a 4†piece of hardwood and then cut a 45 miter on each side so you end up with a “Wâ€
5) Sit the “W†into the “V†of the jig, and glue a 6†piece of harboard to it (photo)

2005910205745_100_1707.jpg

2005910205820_100_1708.jpg

6)glue the remaining small piece of hardwood to the left edge for the hardboard, and attach a hinge.

Your blank fits in like this: Notice the amount protruding from the throat:

2005910205852_100_1710.jpg

2005910205927_100_1711.jpg

7) Lightly press down on the hardboard as you run the sander, until the blank is flush to the bottom of the jig
2005910205949_100_1712.jpg

8) Rotate until each edge has been sanded.

200591021017_100_1713.jpg

The result is a blank that is chamfered on all sides, and ready for the lathe.

Note: I rarely use this for wood, I only used wood for demo purposes. This jig was made for when I turn synthetic (acrylic and corian) pens.

-Steven Marlow

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arjudy

Very good idea. When I turned a rattlesnake pen I turned my portable belt sander upside down and clamped it down and used an old mandrel to hold the blank. What a pain! Your idea is much better.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />If you used only wood, you woodn't have this problem at all. [;)][:p][:)] I should have your handle. [:)]

Oh but he might, Frank. I had to chamfer my xcut Chakte Viga the other day to keep it from exploding on me. I just wish I'd thought of it before I blew part of it apart.[xx(]

Good idea, Steven. I may have to try something like this.

Czarcastic

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Looks like a really nice jig. How do you keep from sanding away the bottom of the jig itself?

You don't. [;)]

After a few dozen uses, you have to toss the base. But that's the beauty of using scrap wood. I can unscrew the hinge and keep the hardboard "holder" and just make a new base. Takes about 10 minutes. This is still my first one. Its got about 15 blanks on it. I figure it's about 1/2 way through its life.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Czarcastic
<br />
Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Looks like a really nice jig. How do you keep from sanding away the bottom of the jig itself?

You don't. [;)]

After a few dozen uses, you have to toss the base. But that's the beauty of using scrap wood. I can unscrew the hinge and keep the hardboard "holder" and just make a new base. Takes about 10 minutes. This is still my first one. Its got about 15 blanks on it. I figure it's about 1/2 way through its life.

Or another alternative is just to glue another piece onto what is left of the original base...

Czarcastic

Originally posted by Old Griz
Or another alternative is just to glue another piece onto what is left of the original base...
There ya go!
Didn't think of that.

I guess you could even fasten a thin sheet of sheet metal to the bottom and that would work, too.

Thanks, Griz! Think I'll try that! [;)]

PenWorks

Very nice jig, I prefer the finger held method, skin grows back and you get the occasional slip and you can duck when they go flying [:D] But if I was going to go threw all that just to round a blank for turning, I would take that blank that you have pictured and just turn the ends and you would have yourself a wonderfull faceted pen. [:p] Thanks for the tip Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom