center finder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

okiebugg

I use this center finder for pen blanks because if made precisely it is small and easy to use.
Cut a small 3" circle out of strand board. I use this material because of its stability. You can use any close grained wood. and use another piece to cut out a ruler type piece

13INCHCIRCLE.jpg

Using a square, mark a cutout on the circle...see example. be as precise as you can. Check for square after cutting. You can use a small belt sander to adjust to 90 degrees

2cut90degrees.jpg

Using a 45 degree square, draw an angle of 45 degrees using the lip of the cutout as a guide. Draw a heavy line as it will be used for alignment. see example

345degreesquare.jpg
[/IMG]

Cut a straight piece of wood 5/8" to 3/4" wide and 1/8" to 3/16" thick. Cut it to 5" long. I use Maple or any close grain wood. Trial fit this this piece on the puck using a short pen blank cutoff to check for close alignment. Use gorilla glue (because of its "open time"). lightly clamp the two pieces using the heavy pencil line as a guide and use the cutoff to make sure it is centered by making minute adjustments. Clamp and wait 24 hours then sand lightly to make it smooth. Example

4CENTERFINDER.jpg

I also make simple fences for my disk sander to sand pieces to exact angles. Here is an example. These are made essentially the same way as the center finder

660.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom