Celtic knots with a bandsaw question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jzerger

I'm sure someone has been there-done that but I can't find it.
I've been using a cheap hand-mitre saw for making celtic knots (not really knots) and it works well. I just got my first bandsaw (a small table top one) and was hoping someone could help me out with cutting, say 45 degree, angles with the bandsaw. I've been using aluminum and vinyl gutter flashing for the knots (won't the bandsaw have a tendency to tear out the inserts?) I'd like to do more "knots" but would also like to use my new toy to do it. I don't have the guts to try it on a table saw.
Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

You need to have a miter slot on the bed of the saw. You can put a block of wood sized to run in the slot on the back of a plywood base. For mine I took a piece for a backstop and drilled a hole in each end so I could then screw it down to the plywood at whatever angle I wanted on the base. I fixed up several positions at different angles for variety. All thats needed after this is a stop you can clamp onto the backstop to position the cut in your blank. A tiny C clamp should work if the backstop is high enough profile. You just need to remember to stop cutting before you slice the blank in two.
This rig is very similar to the blank cutting jig in an earlier forum posting, just has a moveable back stop.

Dan26

I made a simple sled out of scraps. I mounted a toggle clamp to hold a fence at the angle I want. The fence also has a stop-block so every cut on the pen blank is at the same location for each side.

Jim Burr

Banned
There is a great Youtube video of a kid doing oen on a bandsaw. Trick was, he never cut all the way through the blank. If using that method, it becomes critical that your insert material and blade width are equal.

Top Bottom