CBN Wheels for grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I have the Wolverine System. I bought it soon after I started turning 10 years ago to use with my Aliminum Oxode grinder and wheels. When I upgraded to CBN a few months ago I have continued with the Wolverine with one upgrade. I bought a Robo Rest to replace the Wolverine plateform. The Robo Rest can be used with the Wolverine base or you get get the one that is a stand alone. IMO, the Robo Rest is a great upgrade if you need to be changing the angle of your platform for different tools as I do.

If you will need both a platform and a V-Arm I think what I have is a great setup. If you do all your sharpening on only a platform I suggest looking at getting just the Robo Rest.

I also use the Raptor set up jigs from CSUSA to set the distance of the V Arm from the wheel although there are many other alternatives.

I have never used any of the other systems.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I read this thread back when it started and am about to pull the trigger.
I think we can all agree the CBN wheels, are a solid choice.

So what sharpening system should you add to the grinder? Wolverine, Tormek? IF money was not an issue which is the easiest to learn? If money is an issue, would your answer change?

Thanks guys

I was used to the Tormek system and still like it simply because I have used it a lot. I bought the Savannah Pro-Grind which is very similar to the Wolverine. It had the adjustable plate similar to LeeValley's.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharpening-T...keywords=Savannah+Pro-Grind+sharpening+system

I am getting used to it, but at this point I kinda wish I had made some adapters to use the Tormek - simply because I was used to it. so far, all I have sharpened has been skews and bunches of scrapers. Fantastic.

TomWalton

I read this thread back when it started and am about to pull the trigger.
I think we can all agree the CBN wheels, are a solid choice.

So what sharpening system should you add to the grinder? Wolverine, Tormek? IF money was not an issue which is the easiest to learn? If money is an issue, would your answer change?

Thanks guys

I'm not sure if this is helpful for anyone trying to make an investment decision, but I've been doing this so long that I have both Tormek (grinder/jigs) and Wolverine fixtures available. I've also got a bit of Tormek kit that adapts their tool holder to the Wolverine fixtures, allowing the Tormek jigs, angle-setter, and turning-tool setter to be used on the CBN/Wolverine setup.

I re-shape everything on the CBN wheel, using the Tormek jigs and adapter. I maintain all the gouges (and chisels, plane irons, and knives and scissors) on the Tormek. I use the CBN for skews (with the Tormek adapter/jigs), and scrapers, parting tools, and spindle-roughing gouges on the regular Wolverine setup. Seems to be the best of both worlds.

It would have been a terrible/expensive plan, but it wasn't a plan; just occurred over 25 years. If fresh money was an issue, I'd buy CBN wheels and the Wolverine stuff. I still prefer the Tormek for routine sharpening/honing of bowl/spindle gouges - it's more precise, takes less steel - but it's an expensive luxury.

--Tom

Top Bottom