CBN Wheels for grinder - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Hank,
I have the Delta version of the disc sander...it's awesome. I use it for flat work, but I mainly use it for milling my blanks, instead of the drill-press route.
I am also fortunate enough to have inherited both my fathers and uncles tools, so I have another set up of 6" back to back grinders for just "stuff". They are "buffalo"....which was my fathers day version of Harbor Freight, but the work well. On one, I have wire wheels and the green wheel for tool grinding my metal lathe cutting tools. Good luck...I know you'll get it right...you always have.

JimB- I joined an awesome turners club here locally a few years ago. It has been great, but it certainly has been humbling. There are some olders guys that are unbelievably good at any number of things. I was fortunate enough to be able to pay a couple of guys to mentor me at multiple things, one being sharpening. He was awesome and "fixed" things that I had sharpened. I have been trying to teach myself at freehand sharpening, like he does. That has been trying in it's self. I still use my wolverine jig for bowl gouges and do fine with that, and I have a veritas jig that I use for parting tools and scrapers but which is going ok, but sharpening skews is my issue and I use skews a lot. Lord knows I have I have the gadgets for skews.....the wolverine skew jig, the Nova, Veritas and now freehand on the CBN. I end up with multiple facets, and lately I got that reasonably under control, but I noticed recently if you view it for the side, the point is not centered! They seem to work ok, but they are ugly and after seeing this mentor do this, it is disappointing at best. I have at least a thousand dollars in sharpening euipment, and vastly prefer to sharpen with a diamond hone! I am working on it, and I just might get where I want to be by the time I turn 85 ( I'm 61). Sorry for the rant, but I always try to be honest with myself.

www.hallsphoto.com

Procrastinate Later
--Unknown Author

Last edited by moke; 06-02-2018 at 11:04 AM.
moke is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Default List of CBN links for info

Below is a list of links for those who would like some research. On the surface, I will give the gist:

• Diamond wheels are used for carbide
• CBN wheels are used for HSS and some other hard steels.

HSS and some other hard steels causes problem with diamond wheels, therefore CBN does better for those.

I am old and prefer HSS in general even though I do have a couple of carbide insert tools. I have felt sharp carbide inserts new, but I can sharpen HSS much sharper than the best carbide that I have had new. I can tell the difference in the cut too. BUT I do have to hone the HSS more often, which doesn't take but two or three seconds. I am interested in shaping a few of my HSS tools to fit me personally as well as bring them to sharpness quick, since the desire for a CBN wheel.

The list (not exhaustive in the least:

Craft Supplies USA:
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/d...ding_wheel.pdf

multiple types:
https://woodturnerswonders.com/collections/cbn-wheels

Brief non-(deep)technical description of the difference between diamond and CBN
http://www.peaceriverwoodturners.org...g%20Wheels.pdf

Choosing the right grinding wheel:
https://www.mmsonline.com/articles/c...grinding-wheel

List at the bottom for CBN wheels more links, a few of of which are below.
Featured Article: CBN Grinding Wheels by Reed Gray

2015 AAW (American Association of Wood Turners; Dated somewhat but good reading non-the-less.
carbon steel tools and Carbide tools on CBN wheels | American Association of Woodturners

CBN wheels: https://www.baltic-abrasives.com/en/cbn-wheels/
Diamond Wheels: https://www.baltic-abrasives.com/en/diamond-wheels/

For those interested in more technical aspects:
https://www.carbideanddiamondtooling...PCD.CBN.Wheels

More technical aspects
Grinding Out Hardened Parts | American Machinist

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 06-03-2018 at 02:32 PM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 63

Thank you, Hank ... lots of research there !

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Mike - I certainly understand about the guys in your club. I joined the local club when I started turning 10 years ago. I am still a newbie compared to some of the guys. This year two of our members were demonstrators at Totally Turning. Another guy has been turning for 70 years! Others have articles published in the AAW magazine. The list of talent goes on and on. Our club has a mentoring program where any member can ask any of the 10 mentors for help. The mentors donate their time so there isn’t any charge to the members. The mentors will invite you to their shop and help you with whatever you need. It was one of those mentors who taught me how to shape, sharpen, hone and use a skew and a detail gouge a couple years ago. I thought I knew how to use the detail gouge but I was wrong. The skew had been a mystery to me but now I am OK with it. I would be better but I don’t do a lot of Spindle turning, mostly bowls.

I did learn to free hand sharpen many years ago but I was not very good at it and stuck with the Wolverine system. For the skew I only use the platform and a hone. It took years but I am now confident in my sharpening abilities for all my tools but that is because of the hands-on instruction I have received over the years. I’ve helped many newer members of our club get their tools properly shaped and sharpened. Like everything else, it’s a learning process.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Default lots to learn

I will have to sit down and digest all of this for sure.
I have collected quite an array of different tools. Many are not great quality, some are "so so", and I am now beginning to accrue better tools, better metals.

My problem is understanding which of these should NOT be used on the CBN (when I get them). I have a couple of nice Thompson tools, and 1 Cindy Drozda detail gouge. The Drozda is the only one that I know would best be suited to the CBN. Fortunately, I have used the Drozda a bit and it is still very sharp... I use it sparingly for that very reason.
MDWine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDWine View Post
I will have to sit down and digest all of this for sure.
I have collected quite an array of different tools. Many are not great quality, some are "so so", and I am now beginning to accrue better tools, better metals.

My problem is understanding which of these should NOT be used on the CBN (when I get them). I have a couple of nice Thompson tools, and 1 Cindy Drozda detail gouge. The Drozda is the only one that I know would best be suited to the CBN. Fortunately, I have used the Drozda a bit and it is still very sharp... I use it sparingly for that very reason.
Anything that is HSS or better can be sharpened on CBN. You donít want to sharpen soft metals on CBN. Thompson tools will sharpen better on CBN then on Aluminum Oxide. All the common metal used for turning tools today can be sharpened on CBN such as HSS, M2, M4, M42 and PM (Powdered Metal) and Cryo metals. You will get a better edge using CBN then you will with AO wheels.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #27 (permalink)

I have 180 its a great wheel for all around sharpening just make sure you only do hardened steel. Soft steel will gum up and ruin the wheel and cause what feels like a catch (did it once and learned the hard way). I keep an 80 AlOx on the other side of the grinder for other stuff. So get the 180 and you will never look back.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:08 AM   #28 (permalink)

When I first started turning I thought my T 7 Tormek was the a swer to sll of my sharpening needs.Well it was for years for my knifes and wood chisels.So I thought I was going to save some money .That did not happen After about 10 minutes on the tormek with a turning chisel .I went and bought a Rikon set up with a 180 and 350 and never looked back
tonylumps is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-05-2018, 07:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylumps View Post
When I first started turning I thought my T 7 Tormek was the a swer to sll of my sharpening needs.Well it was for years for my knifes and wood chisels.So I thought I was going to save some money .That did not happen After about 10 minutes on the tormek with a turning chisel .I went and bought a Rikon set up with a 180 and 350 and never looked back
I have the 10" Grizzly Tormek clone-like grinder. I had it for about 3 years before I finally got my shop set up with the grinder in its place. THEN I pulled out some of my wood chisels (I had a large set of Japanese moku metal that had never been shaped or sharpened,) and numerous lathe chisels that had never been used because I did primarily pens. Well I sharpened a small narrow wood chisel first. It did great. Took about 15 to 20 minutes on the Grizzly wet grinder. Later, (a few of weeks later), I took a wide wood chisel and after about 30-40 minutes and it was no where near ready. I gave up. And then after a few months I tried it again to see if I was missing something. Nope, the 10" Grizzly wet grinder is just a slow grinder that was made to prevent a tool from getting hot. I tried to figure out a way to make it grind with some pressure on it so that I didn't have to hold it the whole time. Then gave up.

My conclusion on the Tormek like grinders is: Get the chisels, Wood and Lathe, to basic shape and then let the Tormek / Grizzly do final shaping just before honing. But, This is a waste of time to me - especially with the advent of the CBN wheels. Since I ordered a 600 along with the 180, I can put my 10" grizzly to rest. Probably sell it. I noticed that Grizzly was selling them for close to $100 when they used to sell for nearly $200 when first released several years ago.

I agree with your sentiments 100%. Thanks for the input.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

Why did you not put a CBN wheel on the Grizzly?

"if at first you don't succeed, maybe parachuting isn't the sport for you.".
Robert Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads