CBN Wheels for grinder - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 07:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Some years back, I bought a 180G CBN for my Rikon low speed, 1/2Hp, 8” grinder. This wheel is flat (no radiused edges). It works very nicely and leaves a very good edge. Usually I touch these with a hand diamond hone as well.
On the other side, I kept the stock 80G stone wheel for shaping and raising a burr on my scrapers.
I do have an old 6” basic grinder for miscellaneous grinding. I have not used any finer grit wheels so I don’t have thoughts on those.
The CBN wheel is heavier and with the 1/2 HP, I give the wheels a spin before starting to reduce load on the motor. A 1HP grinder motor would be worthy upgrade in my opinion. I would stay away from the CBN wheels with the plastic core....I know my metal wheel is not going to change in any way, shape or form and I will get years of service from it.

Good luck on your quest!

Last edited by Charlie_W; 05-31-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Charlie_W is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 6

In my post above, I mistakenly called Ken Rizza, Rick. I meant Ken. Sorry.

Peace,

Tony

Member of Local IAP Georgia Chapter meets quarterly in Roswell, GA
TonyL is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-31-2018, 09:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 11

I finally bought CBN wheels about 2 months ago. I was lucky in that many of the guys in the local club here have them so I was able to do a lot of in person research and try their systems and wheels. Cost was definitely a consideration for me along with what I will do with them. I came to the conclusion that I didn’t need the grit on the side of the wheel as I wouldn't use it. Same goes for the curved edges.

The wide wheels are very nice but the cost goes up quickly. The wider wheels are also much heavier so you should have a 1 HP grinder for them. You will burn out a 1/2 HP one.

I bought from Ken Rizza at Woodturning Wonders as most people in my local club have. His prices are excellent and so is his service. You can call him if you have questions. His wheels have a life time warranty.

I opted for the Spartan Wheels, 180 and 600 grit mounted on 1/2 HP Rikon grinder. The Spartan wheels are 1” and made from aluminum so you don’t need the 1HP. Ken ships the wheels already mounted on the grinder with the spherical washers. If you only buy the wheels buy the spherical washers as well. I chose the 180 and 600 grits because the 80 is for shaping tools and I don’t need to do much shaping. If I do I still have my stone wheels or I can use someone else's grinder. I use the 180 Primarily for roughing gouges, scrapers and negative rake scrapers and occasional minor reshaping of tools. I use the 600 for bowl gouges, detail gouges, skews. I still have my other grinder with the aluminum oxide wheels that I can use for other stuff.

I am very happy with my setup. It does exactly what I need it to do at a price that fit my budget. However, Your needs may be different.

Also, in the most recent issue of American Woodturner, the AAW magazine, there is an article by Tom Wirsing (professional Turner) about tool steels and CBN wheels. Tom was also a demonstrator at our local club last year so I learned a lot about tool steels and CBN wheels from him.

CBN wheels are a great investment. You get a better edge on your tools amd the edge will last longer.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2018, 12:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

This is great. Thanks for all of your input! I know there will be more.

I was a bit surprised to see several "watching/subscribing" posts. Glad to see others interested in this subject.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member Liaison

I had been thinking along the lines of Jim above and knew that I could put one of the wider - 1 1/2 inch on one side of my 1/2 HP Delta VS grinder but it would be a little close to overload.

In general, I tend to purchase more than I need - just in case. However this time I did want two grades - 180 and 600, so I ordered the Spartans from Woodturning Wonders for the Delta VS. I have the Grizzly Tormek clone and really like it, but it is SLOW, specifically in shaping new tools. I may purchase and 80 for the Grizzly later on.

One thing I like about the CBNs overall is that the speed of 1800 or 3600 doesn't seem to affect the heat on HSS like it does with stone or diamond wheels. And the 3600 speed does cut down quicker. Looking forward to getting the shape quickly with the 180 and finer tuned with the 600. I still will use my sandpaper edger for the micro-fine edge.

It may be a few weeks before I can report back on this as I will be very busy for the next 2 1/2 weeks with work.

Last edited by leehljp; 06-01-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hank - unless you do a lot of reshaping you may find you don’t need an 80 grit. Most reshaping I have done on my 180 has been minor but I have also done more extensive reshaping on a couple tools on the 180. It went quicker then I expected.

Did you order the spherical washers? You should get them as they help balance the wheels.

Congrats on your upgrade.

Last edited by JimB; 06-01-2018 at 08:36 AM.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post

Did you order the spherical washers? You should get them as they help balance the wheels.

Congrats on your upgrade.
Yes I did. And from reading different comments, it will be well worth it and not that expensive.

Thanks for your input.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Sounds like you have this well thought out as always, Hank.
I have a Delta 1/2-8" and the Rikon 1/2 8" in a back to back set up on a small mobile table. I have regular Norton aluminum oxide wheels on the Delta and one CBN 180 and one Norton on the Rikon. I find that I use the CBN the most. I got it from the woodturners store, it is a Hurricane. I have always thought I would get another 80 CBN for the other side of the Rikon but just have not done it. The 180 is awesome to sharpen pretty much anything. but especially skews. When you are as bad at sharpening as I am, you need to occasionally reshape and the 180 is not good at that. So I thought the 80 might be nice. ( I have had lessons, have all the toys, and worked at it for years, but I am still mediocre to poor at it!)

The Hurricanes are flat with a 1/2 " side abrasive. I am a nut about balancing, I have balanced all my wheels and have the one way balancing set up. The CBN when using the spherical washers, as JimB mentioned, are perfectly balanced.

When you are as bad at it as I am, CBN is far more forgiving.....

www.hallsphoto.com

Procrastinate Later
--Unknown Author
moke is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Mike,

You made me think about something that I have taken for granted. I grew up on a farm and learned to use all kinds of shop tools extensively including a large bench grinder. I don't have the experience that some have, such as Paul in OKC, because this is not my main work. I do know how to sharpen drill bits on a grinder, but the lack of daily or weekly use shows my rustiness. Still, if I am doing a days work of it, I can get up to speed fairly quick.

In reading how quick the CBNs can shape HSS tools and with the lack of heat generated as compared to stones/diamonds, I figured my experience could handle the 180 for shaping and general grind - for as little as I do. Without this past experience, I probably would have gone with the 80. (A 120 would have been my ideal.)

I won't miss my Delta 8" for general grinding, as I learned something a few years ago about grinding: 1. I have and use 4 angle grinders for most sharpening such as mower blades and softer steel and even large area sanding grinding. Even for bolts, I occasionally put them in a vise and use the angle grinder. 2. I have an older HF 12 inch disk sander*. I love that thing for everything from decreasing 2x4 length - to sharpening mower blades (did that last week, excellent control) - to grinding down bolt lengths. I know the HF disk sander is not made for that specifically, but it works good and it works fast. The table and a pair of pliers or vise-grips make it very controllable and stable - which has made my use of the Delta grinder an occasional thing at best. SO, dedicating my Delta to the CBNs will not be a loss for me - but a gain.

* https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inc...der-43468.html

Last edited by leehljp; 06-01-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moke View Post
Sounds like you have this well thought out as always, Hank.
I have a Delta 1/2-8" and the Rikon 1/2 8" in a back to back set up on a small mobile table. I have regular Norton aluminum oxide wheels on the Delta and one CBN 180 and one Norton on the Rikon. I find that I use the CBN the most. I got it from the woodturners store, it is a Hurricane. I have always thought I would get another 80 CBN for the other side of the Rikon but just have not done it. The 180 is awesome to sharpen pretty much anything. but especially skews. When you are as bad at sharpening as I am, you need to occasionally reshape and the 180 is not good at that. So I thought the 80 might be nice. ( I have had lessons, have all the toys, and worked at it for years, but I am still mediocre to poor at it!)

The Hurricanes are flat with a 1/2 " side abrasive. I am a nut about balancing, I have balanced all my wheels and have the one way balancing set up. The CBN when using the spherical washers, as JimB mentioned, are perfectly balanced.

When you are as bad at it as I am, CBN is far more forgiving.....
Mike - Im curious, why do you think your are 'mediocre to poor' at sharpening?
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads