CBN Wheels for grinder - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Default CBN Wheels for grinder

I am considering an 8 inch CBN grinding wheel for my Delta VS grinder. I have not seen any thread here specifically dedicated to 1. CBN wheels, 2. grit choices, 3. width; 4. curved or flat and 5. brand.

There have been a few threads where some of these characteristics have been discussed, but I would like to get the opinions of those who have used them, and into one thread if possible.

I have been impressed with the reviews for HSS, the durability, the heat control. For me, at this point, it has been somewhat overwhelming. I have been looking at Woodturnerswonders.com and either their 4 in 1 (180) , or the Mega Square in 180; OR two Spartan combos of 180 and either 600 or 1000.

Please tell me your experiences. I can see that the future of sharpening HSS is here now in the form of CBN wheels.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 05-30-2018 at 08:57 PM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Following
Old 05-30-2018, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Arizona Silhouette has them on sale! 80 and 180 grit

Dale Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2018, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 49

I got the 8” radius 350 grit from woodturnerwonders. Kept the old 80grit stone on the other side as I sometimes grind things other than HSS and they say CBN is not good for other materials. I debated going with a lower grit but after talking to,the owner of woodturnerwonders decided on the 350. Haven’t had it that long, but so far very satisfied. Radius is perfect for my 1/4”hollowing bits which I use for many things. Put a nice edge on parting tool, gouges and skew. If all I did was sharpen HHS, I may have gone with 2 CBN wheels, but for now what I have works for me.

BRobbins629 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 63

Subscribing also.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I bought one from D-way and one from Rick (Wooden Wonders). Both guys are awesome and make excellent products. D-Way are heavier - I don't know how that translate to anything. I use both of them on the same grinder. The D-way is 180 and Rick's is 240 or something like that. I use them interchangeably. The D-way is flat and Rick's is rounded. I use one with a Robohippy and one with a platform. Both the Robohippy and platform are compatible with the one way system. I use D-way, Thompson and sometimes Sorby HSS tools. I primarily use D-ways tools - just what I am used to.

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-30-2018, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default My experience...

...is that I couldn't be happier with my choice for sharpening.

I bought the 8" Rikon Slow Speed grinder, equipped with 2 CBN wheels (both 1 1/2" wide; one 80 grit and one 350 grit) from Wood Turners Wonders.

I bought this after a friend had one of the old style wheels came apart while he was using it. The little voice in my head said "Time to invest in CBN!"

Ken Rizza's customer service is excellent.
Warren White is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-31-2018, 02:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

I was in the same place several years ago looking for a product and vendor. I wound up designing my own wheel and had them made to my specifications and couldn't be happier with the results.

I wanted a wide wheel with 1/4" roundover. I had an 80 grit and a 180 grit made. It was actually cheaper than buying a set from a name brand vendor.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CBN Grinding Wheel Specifications (8 x 2.0).pdf (27.6 KB, 43 views)
GDIS46 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-31-2018, 05:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 61

Hank; I have both a 180 grit radius wheel and a 360 grit wheel with a 1" side layer. The flat side puts a flat grind on my skews. I have heard mixed opinions on the only HSS vs anything argument. I would not do any regular grinding of nonferrous metals on the CBN, especially aluminum. I have an 80 grit CBN wheel too, but don't keep it mounted.

I keep a 1" dowel rod near the grinder. These wheels have a lot of mass and once spun up will spin FOREVER when powering down. Press the dowel rod against the side hub of the wheel to stop it. Clamp the grinder down; the CBN wheels have enough mass and torque to make this a necessity.

Finally, carefully check the length of hub on the wheel to make certain that the grinder shaft nut will tighten up on the wheel. When i bought the 350 grit wheel the seller asked if I needed any washers? I didn't get the question and said "No", but discovered that the wheel hub was shorter than the grinder permitted. I had to make a short 3/16" thick washer to get the grinder shaft nut to clamp the wheel tightly.

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again. -- Stephen Grellet

Last edited by randyrls; 05-31-2018 at 05:37 AM.
randyrls is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-31-2018, 06:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Watching diligently, I need education on all of this.
Thanks for cranking up the discussion.
MDWine is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads