CBN wheels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Cody, it seems everyone has CBN wheels these days. I don't know if anyone's wheels are better than one from another vendor. I guess many come from the same factories.
I believe our woodturning club did a group buy on the Hurricane wheels a few years back. I have not heard any negative feed back on them.....nor exceptional praise either.

Here is another source for you to check out. https://woodturnerswonders.com/
Ken has all kinds of wheels and grinders too, package deals, lights, etc. check out his videos on his site.

Personally, I go with a flat wheel (no radiused edges). This gives me more usable grinding surface. Also, most CBN wheels now have some grit on the flat edge/side of the wheel which is good for putting a flat or convex going on a skew for example.
I am using one 180G CBN wheel and one original 60G stone wheel which came on the grinder. The stone wheel for shaping a chisel and the CBN for the finish grind, touching up. The stone wheel is better at creating a burr on my scrapers than the CBN.
I also use a diamond hone to maintain an edge between grindings.
Good luck!

KenV

Cody,

I am a couple of years with Ken Rizza's wheels. They are aluminum and because of lower mass, work respectibly well with 1/2 hp slower speed grinder which I had.

I gave away the original 80 grit wheel and replaced it with a 600 grit wheel.

The metalgraphic folks who deal with steel structure advise that coarse grit breaks down the crystal structure in heat treated steels and causes poor quality edges. Fine grits do not do that as much. Fine grit wheels leave a very different edge feel in use. It is a good feel. Also less metal gets used.

After a year with 80 and 600, I will probably make a run using a 1000 grit wheel.

By the way, the CBN wheels have been used for some time with hardened (crystal structure set by heat treatment) carbon steel. Not good to use steels that have not been heat treated.

The 600 grit makes plane blades sharp for smiling use.

I have been using this type of wheel for years. It makes sharpening much easier because you don't have to adjust for wheel wear. I love mine and would not want to be without it!

Top Bottom