CBN wheel question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

I am thinking of investing is some CBN sharpening wheels. I see different prices for the same grit and diameter wheels. My question is there a difference in the manufacture of the wheels and if so what is a "good" brand to buy. Thanks William

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

There are also some that have grinding surface on the side. And, with these wheels you do not need to be concerned about grinding on the side as they will not fly apart.

TonyL

I own Dave's of D-way and Ken Rizza's of WoodenWonder (I think). Both are very good guys and both of "theirs" sharpen my HSS beautifully. Dave's are heavier if that makes a difference to you and slightly more costly (but again...they are heavier). I also have the rounded edge versions and do not use it that often, but I do not regret buying it. Dway make an excellent CBN sharpening/honing stone. Now that I know how to use it (trial and lots of error), I love it. I also own Trends diamond card. It is less expensive, more portable because of its light weight, but I like Dway's better, Again, both will do the job...for me, it is a matter of what I practiced the most with.

KenV

Rounded corners or not depends on what you are sharpening.

I have both both styles. Grit now is available to 1000, and i use 600 to resharpen edges.

That minimizes damage to the crystaline structure of the hardened steel and loss of metal.

There are all steel wheels, but I have the underpowered 1/2 hp grinder and went with the wheels from Ken Rizza at Woodturning Wonders. You can your choice of several wheel styles.

Fine metal particles still are a respiratory hazard......

If you are having an MRI be sure to confess to grinding steel.

Charlie_W

William,
My vote goes to the flat wheel in an eight inch diameter.
I bought a 180g CBN from Ron Brown a couple of years ago at the AAW Symposium and have enjoyed using it. It does have some side grit which is helpful for some tools or a flat or convex grind on a skew
I don't have experience with any other wheels to give advice on whose are "better".

I kept the stock 60g stone wheel on the other end of the grinder for sharpening scrapers and getting a good burr.
My grinder is the 1/2 hp Rikon. I give the wheels a spin by hand before starting the motor to lessen the start up load. My next grinder will be 1 hp.

KenV

I also use 8 inch wheels.

6 will work, but 8 is easier. If I had a big grinder, would have 10 inch wheels

By the way, the CBN wheels work well on hardened carbon steel but not annealed carbon steel.

Top Bottom