Carbide Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

If you are asking who can do it then I can do it. Not sure if you can do it. Yes it is possible but not everyone can do it as well as not everyone can use a skew to turn a pen. You need to practice the tool of your choice. With Carbide it is a matter of using the cutter you are comfortable with. I prefer a round cutter but have used the curve cutters also. I stay away from the square cutters. Too easily to get a catch.

Then there is the presentation of the tool to the work piece. This is the same for all tools. Good luck.

keithncsu

After about 3 pens with normal HSS tools I switched to the Magic Skew carbide tool. Haven't looked back. It's the only tool I use. Sometimes I only use the square insert start to finish. Recently on some cross cut monkey wood I switched to the round after knocking the corners off to avoid breaking a few pieces.

Magicbob

You most definitely can use carbide start to finish on pens. I have many customers who have told me the Magical Skew is the only tool they use.
On punky woods or plastics that like to chatter, you will find that you need a cutter not a scraper, so be careful what tool you choose.
Personally if the stock is 2x2 or smaller, I use carbide, if it is larger I start with a gouge.

Top Bottom