Carbide tools - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2015, 03:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Great Job!!!

Campzeke...your chisels look GREAT!!! I, too, decided to make my own carbide chisels due to the $$$ demanded for the "store bought" ones. I made three mid-size chisels using 3/8" bar stock and the name brand cutters available at Woodcraft. I am now in the process of making four "full-size" chisels out of the 1/2" bar stock. I shopped around, and after considering several outlets, went to "AZ Carbide" for my cutters. They are beautiful and the price was great. I know Capt. Eddie offers cutters, but in the future if you need to shop, check out azcarbide.com I think you will be very impressed with the cutters Dale has to offer. Blessings, Alvin P
wingnut720 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Resurrecting an old thread here. I have the small EWT carbide cutter, but would like the bigger one. I too don't want to pay the prices for their large handles, and have decided to try making my own. I'll be using 15mm radius cutters from AZ Carbide. Can you tell me how you cut the "notch" in the front of your bars?
Old 10-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by qquake View Post
Resurrecting an old thread here. I have the small EWT carbide cutter, but would like the bigger one. I too don't want to pay the prices for their large handles, and have decided to try making my own. I'll be using 15mm radius cutters from AZ Carbide. Can you tell me how you cut the "notch" in the front of your bars?
To notch the bars I started by figuring out where I wanted the mounting hole. I then drilled and tapped the mounting hole. Then I marked the back side of the notch and carefully cut along the line with a hack saw to the depth of the notch. I then ground the recess on my bench grinder and finished smoothing with a file. I also counter sunk the mounting hole slightly to make sure there were no burrs. BE CAREFUL to make sure you get the area where the carbide sits as flat as possible. if that area is not flat, you could crack the carbide cutter when you tighten the screw. It takes a little time and effort but in my opinion it is time well spent.

That said, I am not sure you even need to recess the cutter. The recess does offer some protection for the cutter but other than that I think it is more a matter of aesthetics than anything else.

I use my homemade carbide tools almost every day and love them. There is just something about using a tool I made to make something else. Making my own jigs, fixtures and tools is one of the most enjoyable parts of this awesome hobby.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 0

nothing wrong with those tools... good job
Old 10-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by campzeke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by qquake View Post
To notch the bars I started by figuring out where I wanted the mounting hole. I then drilled and tapped the mounting hole. Then I marked the back side of the notch and carefully cut along the line with a hack saw to the depth of the notch. I then ground the recess on my bench grinder and finished smoothing with a file. I also counter sunk the mounting hole slightly to make sure there were no burrs. BE CAREFUL to make sure you get the area where the carbide sits as flat as possible. if that area is not flat, you could crack the carbide cutter when you tighten the screw. It takes a little time and effort but in my opinion it is time well spent.

That said, I am not sure you even need to recess the cutter. The recess does offer some protection for the cutter but other than that I think it is more a matter of aesthetics than anything else.

I use my homemade carbide tools almost every day and love them. There is just something about using a tool I made to make something else. Making my own jigs, fixtures and tools is one of the most enjoyable parts of this awesome hobby.
I definitely want the notch, to protect the back edge of the insert. And also to help keeping my thumb from getting cut. I have a habit or rubbing the chisel to remove the dust.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads