Carbide question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kragax

I am interested in getting a carbide tool for pen work. I wanted it mainly for finish work and to do some acrylic blanks. Would you recommend the round carbide or the square carbide? Its an expensive tool for my budget, so I don't want to buy it twice. Opinions please. Also in your experience where do you think I can get the best price?

(edited for spelling)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jallan

I use both the round and the sq .Check the search eng. under Carbide pen turning tools to get the best price.
Hope that helps.

TimS124

When I use a carbide tool, I tend to prefer the square-isn cutters. But, you can get tool holders that work with either! WoodChuck's "Uni-tool" is designed to take both the square and the round cutters.

You can buy it with or without a handle...slightly cheaper (and easier to ship) without the handle...and you can turn your own custom handle in whatever size you prefer.

BearTooth Woods, R and B Crafts, and a variety of other vendors carry the WoodChuck Uni-Tool...

VotTak

or you can make it yourself. Your cost will be as high as $4-5 if you buy cold press steel rod for example from HD. All you need to do is cut a piece on tip, for that you can use tools you have, drill the hole, use tap for M4 metric(for example) and you are done.
Than make a handle to your liking. Carbide inserts you can get at a lot of places, one of them here. I think one of the member sells them.
Or you can buy it for some high price of course, it is up to you.

Charlie69

The 6" radius cutter is great for finishing. I make one pass with 800 grit before heading to the buffer and I could probably get away with not using the sand paper at all if I'm having a good night on the lathe. Check out eBay for carbide tools that cost quite a bit less than what you'll find in the specialty stores. I got the 6" radius tool for 28$ shipped ( no handle).

Kragax

I have a skew and use it enough that I can get a nice finish cut on wood but I thought carbide would be easier for acrylic and less sharpening.

Fish30114

Kragax, I think your thoughts are sound. I bought my Carbide tools--Easy Wood--before I knew much about what I was doing, but my round insert 'Easy Finisher' is my go to tool for turning pens in acrylic now. I love the finish it leaves and it cuts the various style synthetic blanks I purchase well. BTW, I second the 'look on E-bay' comment that Charlie69 alluded to and look on the bay all the time myself.

Good Luck--Don

butchf18a

Round. While I have full compliment of tools and know how to use them, I will most often turn a pen using round carbide exclusively. I can rough it out and get finishe ready for micro mesh with one tool.

JimB

FYI, there are 2 types of 'square' cutters. There is 'square' which is just what it says and there is radius which is a 'square' cutter that is very slightly curved (rounded). The radius cutter may look like a square cutter at first glance.

mikedealer

just my 2 cents, my round carbide cutter lasts fricken forever as far as an edge goes, never needs sharpening hardly ever. If i feel its losing the edge a bit after a few weeks, ill put some lapping fluid on a 10k grit diamond stone and rub flat edge of carbide tip on it and wait till oil turns black after rubbing it, and then edge is good to go again

the square tip, doesnt last me at all. they chip out and lose the sharp corner, carbide is very brittle after all. But i do use the square alot. Radius Square also with the rounded edges works well too.

magier412

I've got the Easy Wood Tools and use both the round and square pretty much equally - although perhaps the round a bit more. I've also gone the "do it yourself" route with very good results. Bought some square bar stock, drilled and tapped and put a carbide (Diamond shaped) tip on it. Haven't even gotten around to making a proper handle for it yet, LOL, but it works great. Wish I'd thought of that prior to buying the EWT's, but then again, it supports the industry. I order the cutters from a vendor I found here...much less expensive and all the same. I do try to support small business when I can. :)

I think that you can't go wrong with starting out with the round cutter...

Have fun!

Old Codger

As Don mentioned, Capt Eddie's carbide cutters are great! I've used them for a couple years now and couldn't be happier... I've just received a new order from him, including the smaller cutters for the smaller EWT/Rockler pen turning sets and also the 'squashed' detail cutter which I really like for finish work. Try'em, you'll like'em and ya can't beat the prices or speedy service!!! ;>)

Top Bottom