Carbid recomendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DennisM

Hello all,

Well I got rid of the junk HF tools (that was disapointing as they were once good) anyway, I am thinking of taking the carbid jump, since for right now and the near future I am only going to be doing pens, stoppers, etc.

SO I am looking at the easy wood tools from woodcraft. Budget is an issue atm, so was wondering could I get by with just the rougher and 3/8 finsiher for now?

Or is making them a better option as well?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I bought one of the Magic Skews from Bob and I am happy with it. The flat sides help when I want the solid contact and repeatability but do not hinder the various angles. The one tool cam with both the radius and round carbide. Easy to switch but so far I find I work start to finish with whichever one I have on.

I went with the stand handle size which is shorter than the HF sets, which took a little getting used to. I will eventually go with a longer handle.

I will be curious a to see how often folks switch between the different carbide tools since I really don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

corks58

The learning curve on the Magical Skew was about 15 minutes for me. I don't really use anything else anymore except the parting tool.

hanau

I have a listing in the vendors forum or you can visit my website at ncwoodturningtools.com

I make the tool bars for most of the common carbide tools . You do have to turn your own handles , I do offer handles made form aluminium.

John

JimB

That's funny... I still have my HF tools that I bought 10 years ago and still use them even though I have both HSS and carbide tools that are much, much more expensive.

cschimmel

I would take a look at the Blackline Carbide tools, I got a set a few months back and could not be happier. Tim Cost in florida is a dealer of them here in the US.

DennisM

That's funny... I still have my HF tools that I bought 10 years ago and still use them even though I have both HSS and carbide tools that are much, much more expensive.

My original set I had 8 years ago were awesome, the HHS held an edge great, was easy to sharpen.

This last set I bought was Junk , that edge wouldnt hold for anything.

greenacres2

I use both hanau's tools and a magical skew—depending in what I'm doing. There are things I can do with John's R2 that I can't master with the magical skew. I could probably get by with either but am glad I have both. Both an excellent value in my opinion.
Earl

MSpringer

There are multiple videos on youtube about building your own carbide tools.
Being on a very limited shop budget i went this route and saved myself a lot of money. I made 4 tools. square, square radius, detailer and round. Used some reclaimed walnut and maple for the handles. Bought steel stock form the home depot and the cutters from AZ Carbide and have less then 50 dollars in all 4 tools. And i have enough steel stock for a few more if i decide to try different cutters.

Now milling of the steel might not be the prettiest. I really didn't have a way to cut the recess for the detail tool but i made due with what i had.

Top Bottom