Can't find an important tip for cleaning/maintaining lathe chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I recently came across a tip somewhere (I believe it was here, but it may have been youtube or elsewhere), where someone mentioned a specific mix that they use for yearly maintenance on their lathe accessories.

I believe that the mix contained some amount of acetone as well as some amount of light machine oil (to penetrate, clean, and lubricate interior moving parts).

I don't remember the specific mix, and I was hoping to carry out some much-needed maintenance on my lathe's chucks and live centers. My mandrel savers and live centers seem to make noise while I am running the lathe, now, and I want to ensure that my chucks keep on working for a good long while.

The procedure would be to make the mix in a large(ish) container, with a volume large enough to hold the mix plus the entire chuck or accessory, submerged, and soak it for a good 15 minutes or so... and then work the mechanisms to loosen up anything still gumming up the gears and possibly soak it a little longer before allowing it to dry in the air and wiping off the exterior.

If anybody could mention this mix, or a really good mix that they know of, it would probably help a TON of people around here, as well as all the new people to come! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Oh .. and before someone mentions "Why didn't you search for it?" .... I did, 3 times ...

Search strings used were:

Restore Lathe Chuck

Cleaning Lathe Chuck

Repairing Lathe Chuck

Skie_M

Aha ... found something out on the web, finally ...

Search string: "solvent lube chuck" got me to PracticalMachinist.com where I found this thread about putting too much lube in a chuck after cleaning it ...

Looks like I'll just give my chucks an acetone bath and hit em with some 3-in-1 or Prolong... leaning towards the Prolong, it works extremely well for me. They say to avoid the heavier greases and most prefer a light oil that leaves a thin film residue, which Prolong does pretty well.

jttheclockman

My suggestion would be to take the chuck apart and clean it that way using a soft brass brush or even a toothbrush with any degreaser. Then when putting back use a dry lubricant to oil the chuck. This will not collect wood dust and particles. Just like you would if cleaning a tablesaw or any other geared machine. Much better than dipping because that will not dissolve any metal particles and debris. You need to physically clean them. My opinion as usual. :)

Skie_M

Yeah ... but I'm having difficulty with my PSI Mandrel Saver and the live center that came with my lathe ... They are gummed up and making a lot of noise. I don't have a snap ring pliers set for taking apart the live center, so I tried to make do with a small pair of needle nose pliers. That went badly, lost a snap ring. Thankfully, the bearing is VERY firmly seated and refuses to slide off the mandrel, so the snap ring that was lost (the inner one) isn't critical for my lathe. The outer one, on the other hand ... that would have been bad, as the outer part of the live center can now easily slide right off.

I have no idea how to even take the mandrel saver apart ... it's got some kind of slot inside of it for whatever reason, and I tried to put some oil in there, but it just flows out of these tiny little vent ports in the back. I see no snap rings or threads anywhere... I have no idea how to disassemble it to clean it, and it was quite badly gummed up after a year of abuse in my lil shop. I'm throwing soapstone dust, alabaster dust, quartzite, malachite, lapis lazuli, and even some random metal dust at it. If I try to spin it in my hand, it stops within 1/4 of a second of me no longer touching it ...

This one needs a good soak, and hopefully that will clean it up enough inside that the oil can get to where it needs to be to lube the bearings.

TonyL

I use this (the three pack of cleaning and protecting products), but not sure if it is the best or most appropriate suite of products available. Someone recommended it; and I have been using them. Eager to hear what others use.
Products | Boeshield T-9®

TonyL

I use this (the three pack of cleaning and protecting products), but not sure if it is the best or most appropriate suite of products available. Someone recommended it; and I have been using them. Eager to hear what others use.
Products | Boeshield T-9®

jttheclockman

Sorry but I am betting that it will not clean it up. I am having a problem with the PSI dedicated pen chuck and it is due to metal fatigue. The jaws ride in a raceway for lack of a more detailed word and with the force applied when clamping it has deformed the edges of the raceway which causes the jaws to be too loose now and they do not tighten all the way at the top as has been explained in other threads. For whatever reason the metal used with these and I bet other chucks is not top quality and you will get those burrs and slop that will affect the chucks ability to perform smoothly and no amount of oil is going to free it up. Needs hands on attention and if it is possible to revive the metal.

By the way Harbor freight has the rings and pliers in kits. Good luck.

I use the same product as Tony. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Skie_M

Hmmm ... metal fatigue is a bad thing, yes indeed. Have you thought about putting in some stuff padding on the jaws of your chuck, to help with clamping pressure towards the tailstock end and to keep things turning on center while you wait for your replacement stuff?

The mandrel saver I'm working on is the first one I got ... the mandrel I got with it was bent last year, and I ordered a new set (hey ... got 5 free 7mm bushings, a brand new 7mm drill bit, the mandrel I needed, and a new mandrel saver to boot ... all for an extra 8 bucks over just the mandrel!)

So ... I still have one that works great, I just wanna clean this one up and see if I can save it. I've been subjecting this old one to all the stoneworking and other really dusty nasty jobs, and I think I may have ruined the bearings, as it still makes a lot of noise and still wont spin freely, but it seems to be working while on the lathe MUCH more smoothly, now that I've gotten some oil in there.

The way Prolong works in a car's engine is ... it's supposed to bind to the surface of the metal, reducing friction and wear by preventing metal parts from rubbing directly against each other. (anti-friction metal coating)

I'm gonna go ahead and stick some in my new mandrel saver soon... :p

I should mention that I use Prolong in my car's engine .... I changed the oil about 10 and a half years ago, when I got my car. Probably due for another change soon, I guess ... still runs great, and I drive at least 3000 miles a year.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

First things first not sure what that stuff you are using is and I guess it could not hurt to try.

Second thing is I thought I had a new chuck for pen turning when I ordered the new Nova jaws but that seems to not work out well either. Right now I am not making any pens so it is not too much of a problem. But hopefully I can get something that will work for i have some pen ideas I want to try. For me having a chuck so I can drill straight on the lathe is a must.

Good luck with your clean up. :)

Skie_M

Heh ... the clean up is already done ... did it last night (been up all night).

The old mandrel saver is running MUCH more smoothly and quieter, no longer seizing up on me.

The live center is still missing a snap ring, but I don't care about it, since the bearing itself is holding very well inside ... it doesn't really need that one, but I'll find that snap ring eventually. I don't feel like moving my computer to look behind it, and I know this direction is the one it flew in.

I'm gonna go ahead and put the Prolong in my new mandrel saver ... I'll get round to oiling my lathe chucks later. The drill chucks are doing great, for now.

The reason I'm trying to save the old mandrel saver is to keep it going when I'm working on these excessively dusty and gritty projects, like alabaster, marble, granite, quartz, ect ... and you'ld be surprised how hard this seashell is when you have a big lump of them to cut through all at once... plus they have coral and random minerals from the ocean floor embedded in the shells here and there. I swear, I was cutting the shell on my bandsaw, and 3 times in a single straight cut I saw SPARKS flying out of the shell ... I thought I was hitting nails, or something ... possibly natural flecks of flint in the shell?

Last edited:
Top Bottom