Caliper Upgrade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jennera

A big upgrade from the Harbor Freight caliper we have been using! I didnt know they would do fractions!

I am easily amused....

5ee65713fb0a1be04766c981de52ac4d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison

magpens

IMHO, fractions are not terribly useful. I much prefer the decimal fraction display, e.g. 0.375" instead of 3/8", and that's what I use exclusively or the metric when appropriate.

I guess it's because my mind works that way !!

Fractional display is often an approximation on the calipers

Rick_G

IMHO, fractions are not terribly useful. I much prefer the decimal fraction display, e.g. 0.375" instead of 3/8", and that's what I use exclusively or the metric when appropriate.

I guess it's because my mind works that way !!

Fractional display is often an approximation on the calipers

I find the fractions function handy for checking drill bits. Bit slips once or twice in the chuck and you can't read the size any more.

jennera

Jenn would you give the make of your caliper and where you got it? Thanks.
We purchased it at Lowes for $35. They are made by General Tools. The model # on Lowes site says #1467.

They have a depth guage too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

duncsuss

Don't throw away the HF one!

1) Even if the numbers are inaccurate, I find it handy for checking if two (or more) parts are the same size

2) The General Tools one that I have uses plastic jaws, which deform fairly easily (especially if you push them onto something still spinning, don't ask how I know this)

3) So long as the locking screw on the HF one still works, you can set an opening and use it to test when a spindle is turned down to that diameter (getting a rub mark means it's real close, shave away the rub and you are at the target diameter)

eharri446

I saw a neat way to determine when something was turned down to a final size. I was watching someone turning and he used an open end wrench of the size he needed.

That will not work when doing odd sizes, but for common metric and standard sizes it seems to work great.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mike, its often known as a Quattro Stagioni... You haven't lived unless you have eaten one. Essentially it includes all the normal ingredients that would have been fresh in a particular season. They used to be assembled in 4 distinct sections but nowadays it mostly has them all mixed over the entire pizza.:biggrin:

duncsuss

I saw a neat way to determine when something was turned down to a final size. I was watching someone turning and he used an open end wrench of the size he needed.

That will not work when doing odd sizes, but for common metric and standard sizes it seems to work great.

And that's where the steel calipers from HF come in useful -- you can set the jaws to any size and (after grinding the pointy tips round) use them just like an open wrench (or spanner, as we Brits call them).

Psychmike22

I use this for tenons all the time. I bought a cheap set of stubby wrenches at HF for this purpose.

Mike Marroquin

Fish30114

I've got both of those calipers, and I far prefer the General one. It does go through batteries pretty quickly though--not ridiculous but faster than the Mitutoyo calipers I have--I've had to replace the batteries in mine twice in 7 months, so about 12-13 weeks for a battery life for me.
I have found them to be pretty accurate and they are great for determining the next size up or down in drill bits or whatever--I found them very helpful to have around.

chartle

I use this for tenons all the time. I bought a cheap set of stubby wrenches at HF for this purpose.

Do you sharpen them?

I bought that same set from HF and one issue is that I think due to tolerances they make a lightly larger tenon which really isn't an issue.

Last edited:

pshrynk

Top Bottom