Buying a Bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

Ok guys, i'm looking at buying a new bandsaw. I seen the Rikon 14'' at woodcraft they have on sale for $419.99 Buy Rikon 14" Open Stand 1 HP Bandsaw Model 10-321 at Woodcraft.com

*I like this price range*

but i'm afraid i may grow out of the 8'' cutting capicity at some point. For the most part, i have some small burls and such to cut for pen blanks and maybe bowl blanks from chunks of trees that friends have gave me.

Should i look for one that i can put a riser on? ( which i just learned what a riser is for a bandsaw :rolleyes: )

How good is the Harbor Frieght bandsaw?
How good is the Porter Cable from Lowes?

I currently have a 9'' craftsman bench top style. Cuts good and straight with a jig, but just not big enough for what i need now.

Thanks for any insight and suggestions on this.

Harry ( to many to choose from ) M

Last edited:

Cmiles1985

I'll be following this post as I'm in the same boat! Well...minus having the 9" benchtop saw. I've been looking at the Grizzly for around $525, but only 6" cutting height capacity. I really don't want to buy something that I'll spend an equal amount plus more time upgrading than if I had bought what I wanted in the first place! However, I don't know how necessary it is to have a 13" resaw capacity like the Rikon deluxe...

Hi Harry, I have a Grizzly G0555 with a riser kit about 8 years now. I stripped the nut on the blade tension, but that is the only issue that I have had. It is by no means a Powermatic but it is a nice saw, I am happy with it.

Mike

Edit, if you are going to get a riser kit, get it early before you buy a bunch of blades, they will be useless after you put the rise on.

Last edited:

longbeard

I'll be following this post as I'm in the same boat! Well...minus having the 9" benchtop saw. I've been looking at the Grizzly for around $525, but only 6" cutting height capacity. I really don't want to buy something that I'll spend an equal amount plus more time upgrading than if I had bought what I wanted in the first place! However, I don't know how necessary it is to have a 13" resaw capacity like the Rikon deluxe...

I'm sure that there is questions that i'm not thinking of, but you mentioned something that i agree with.

Harry

low_48

When you are buying machinery near the bottom of any price range, yes you will likely outgrow it. I think you already know that, because you are asking.

kovalcik

If there is any chance you will be breaking down logs, the 8" cutting capacity will limit you very quickly. I have the Powermatic (same as Dick) with the riser block. It came assembled without the riser block and I was not going to put it in at first because I did not think I would need it. I quickly learned that I did and had it installed within 2 weeks. If you do not plan on cutting logs, you can probably live with the 8" capacity.

CREID

I went to my local Woodcraft and inquired about the Rikon on sale, the person I talked to, talked me out of buying this bandsaw. Not because it was a bad saw or bad deal. He told me about he 14 inch deluxe model, which I think (but don't quote has more than an 8 inch capacity. It is like $999.99, and I said but the price. He said it goes on sale too and is considerably cheaper than $1000. It also has very good reviews from what I have seen.
Hope this helps, I am waiting for it to go on sale and see what the price will be.

The Penguin

for your price range, I would look for a used 14" Jet bandsaw with a riser on Craigslist in your area.

then spend the money and buy good Carter guides for it.

Wheelman

I purchased this today, haven't used it yet but I think it will work for what I need. The owner of the woodcraft I go to(Bedford, Oh)is a nice guy and the staff there is full of information. Anyway, the owner told me the 14" deluxe for 999.99 will be on sale next month for 799.00.

Cmiles1985

By the way, the Rikon 14" Deluxe has a 13" resaw capacity. I saw one locally on CL for $800. If he still has it in two weeks (when Mother gives me the rest of my salary for the previous quarter), I may make an offer. Of course...if it's still listed now, I may just make an offer.

CREID

one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that the Rikon on sale now doesn't even have a mitre gauge. I believe and again don't quote me on this, check it out, the 14 deluxe comes with a mitre gauge and maybe a ripo fence. So at $799.99 and a larger capacity and also I believe again a larger motor, in my opinion the deluxe would be a better deal. Just my opinion and verify for yourself the details.
Curt

Wheelman

You are correct about the mitre gauge and rip fence. The deluxe is a much better saw... If it came with 3 months of free diapers for my two little ones I would have waited til next month.

If you have the $, go with a Powermatic or the bigger Rikon. If you can find one on CL in your area, better yet. If not, then get a Grizzly (the best you can afford) then upgrade it with Carter guides and a riser block as soon as you can. The Carter guides REALLY are worth the money. I've got an old HF that I found at a sale for $50.00, paid $185.00 for the Carter guides, and $130.00 for a riser kit from Grizzly. This old cheap saw now cuts very straight, strong, and true with a 3/4" carbide tipped blade!

If you have the $, go with a Powermatic or the bigger Rikon. If you can find one on CL in your area, better yet. If not, then get a Grizzly (the best you can afford) then upgrade it with Carter guides and a riser block as soon as you can. The Carter guides REALLY are worth the money. I've got an old HF that I found at a sale for $50.00, paid $185.00 for the Carter guides, and $130.00 for a riser kit from Grizzly. This old cheap saw now cuts very straight, strong, and true with a 3/4" carbide tipped blade!

If you go with the Grizzly G0555 Ultimate, it comes with Carter style guides that aren't too bad. The fence is okay, the T-square very cheap and the riser kit is only $84 it does come with a blade but a very cheap one.

Mike

Cmiles1985

Does anyone have the Steel City 10" or 12" saw? The 10" shows to have a 6" resaw, and the other specs look pretty good. I just don't see many reviews. They're both on sale through the various Sears sites, but I'd rather not deal with them.

I looked up the Rikon on CL around here, and it's a good three hours away. I didn't realize the posting said Brownsville...

longbeard

I think i've looked every bandsaw there is :rolleyes: probably pass on the smaller rikon. Been wearing grizzly's web site out today off and on. I do like the thought of getting the deluxe version, then later down the road get the better guides and riser block for it.

Harry

The Carter Guides are the way to go. The people at Carter have one of the best customer service departments IMHO and the kit is built specifically for what ever machine you have. More than well worth the money. A riser block is usually easy to install, just keep in mind none of your previous blades will fit anymore, unless you remove the riser block. Such as most 14" band saws use a 93 1/2" blade. With a riser block you now need a 105" blade. The blades don't cost much more either. If you can spare the change, get a carbide tipped one. The results you get when resawing are fantastic!

Cmiles1985

So, I was just going to buy the 10" Craftsman to have a bandsaw on hand. The 14" happens to be on sale ($359.99). I am buying it now! Includes a stand, no fence, no miter gauge and has an 8" resaw capacity. We shall see if it fits in a Chevy Equinox!

The Penguin

So, I was just going to buy the 10" Craftsman to have a bandsaw on hand. The 14" happens to be on sale ($359.99). I am buying it now! Includes a stand, no fence, no miter gauge and has an 8" resaw capacity. We shall see if it fits in a Chevy Equinox!
with some modification, you can put a grizzly riser block kit on a Craftsman saw.

Cmiles1985

So, now that I've saved money on buying a bandsaw from Sears, which fence and miter gauge would y'all recommend? I'm pretty sure the obvious brand would be INCRA. Is the Kreg fence comparable? If I had precision equipment on my table saw, I wouldn't hesitate to make one. Also which blades do y'all recommend for pen blank segmenting, and where to buy with a decent price? I apologize for all the questions, but this is my first bandsaw.

KenV

Getting a saw designed an built for the throat clearance (resaw height) you want is better than a riser. (I have a delta with a riser --) The riser is a compromise and like all compromises, it can be "good'nuf" but not as stiff and aligned as one made for the full height.

Jet makes a 14 inch with a 12 inch resaw height w/o the riser. (BIL got one from Craigs List from a contractor for 1/2 price - used on one job)

Rikon Deluxe does that too -- (Have worked on the Rikon - nice saw).

If you can handle the cash flow -- avoid the compromises that go with addition of a riser.

A honest 1 HP has a lot of power -- with so many games played with marketing look at the amps

Cmiles1985

The saw I bought has an 8" resaw capacity, and is a 9 amp (at 120V). I don't intend on adding a riser kit to this saw. Once I have a real shop that I design at my next residency, I'll buy a "big" bandsaw that will hopefully last into the execution of my will.

rblakemore

I am looking for a bandsaw also; I suggest something larger. The owner and guys at the WC in SW Houston are great (my wife and I were there Thursday), I almost bought the new Rikon bench bandsaw last summer; but, it cannot resaw, cut rough lumber, or cut pieces for live edge bowls that my wife wants to turn (!!). I am looking at the Laguna 14-12 Bandsaw, it has good capacity, I will see if a riser block is also available, and is made in the US. As soon as it goes on sale for $59.99 I will get two.

flyitfast

I have the Rikon deluxe and it has been great for all the turnings I do.
Great for cuttting up logs or blanks. The 13" resaw is plenty.
The current deal is the same one I got two years ago, so they haven't raised the price (unusual!).
Adequate power for cutting up a 12" log with the right blade.
Great support from Rikon too. My table came with several burrs and dings. Had a replacement in three days. Have been big help with questions.
gordon

bryceprusse

I would recommend a Laguna bandsaw. larger motors and resaw capacity. There 14" saws have a 12" and 14" resaw capacity. If you use your bandsaw much I would get one that will last, and you will be happy with now and in the furure.

longbeard

Laguna, would love to have one of those, but to rich for my blood no more than i would use it. I keep going back to the grizzly's site. What ever i get, more than likely it will be a 14".

Harry

Cmiles1985

I finally finished putting mine together. It's a fairly simple assembly...just not with a two year old helper :). I have not yet cut anything as grocery shopping took precedence, but running without a load had zero vibration and was very quiet. Also, since it does not come with a fence or miter gauge, I can't do any "precise" cuts yet. I will be looking at plans for something the rest of the evening so I can think about what jigs to build.

longbeard

I finally finished putting mine together. It's a fairly simple assembly...just not with a two year old helper :). I have not yet cut anything as grocery shopping took precedence, but running without a load had zero vibration and was very quiet. Also, since it does not come with a fence or miter gauge, I can't do any "precise" cuts yet. I will be looking at plans for something the rest of the evening so I can think about what jigs to build.

We need pics!!!

Harry

Cmiles1985

Now that it's set up, SWMBO had me do some stump removal in the back yard. It was really dry and had some spalting going on. So, it got cut on the new bandsaw, cast and cut into these blanks so far.

Oh yeah, this was my firstish worthless wood cast. I need to cut a little thicker so I don't end up with the scrap "hold-down" pieces in my pen blanks. It was oak, and adds a little extra "uniqueness" I suppose.

Last edited:
I bought the Rikon 14 deluxe about a year agowith the 14" resaw capacity. I like it very much. My old bandsaw was a Reliant and I had added new guides, a riser block, new tires, a vacuum port replaced the lower guide after it cracked, etc. The Reliant is basicly the same saw HF sells as parts are interchangeable. The saw always vibrated, and service was non exsistant.

The Rikon is a dream to operate. Good dust collection, a very good fence, a side window to watch blade tracking on the tire, quick tension release, kevlar toothed belt drive, 2 speed, good ball bearing blade guides that are a little awkward to adjust until you get used to them, an internal brush to keep sawdust off the tires. In short I don't know of anything else you could include as an optional accesory. No vibration. I am running a laguna carbide resaw blade and can cut 1/16" thick veneer all day long. The only problem I had is the kevlar belt came off while resawing and got chewed up. I called customer service and they told me I was using the wrong speed range- a new free belt was delivered 2 days later.

longbeard

Any opinions on a Delta 14'' :rolleyes:
Found this on craigslist for $300

00505_l26lXagU47y_600x450.jpg

Thanks for all the help fellows

Harry

Cmiles1985

It certainly looks nice. After doing a lot more cutting and casting and slicing, I am in love with my Craftsman saw. Other than the resaw capacity and Kevlar belt, it seems very similar to how the Rikon was described above.

Top Bottom