To Buy Jobber Bits or Not

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

From what I understand jobber bits are longer - but I am may be wrong. I have the budget (and Drill Doctor 750 - assuming that means anything relative to jobber bits). Can I go wrong by buying good quality jobber bits?

Thank you for reading.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Run out and/or bit flexing can become an issue with longer bits. The longer the bit, the easier it will be for the material to deflect it.

So far I've not run across anything I absolutely can't drill with standard length bits.

Ed McDonnell

Jobber = Standard length.

Mechanic = shorter than jobber.

Screw Machine = shorter than Mechanic.

Aircraft = longer than jobber (not really useful for pen making).

If you bought a set of drills without knowing any of the above you most likely bought jobber. So that's probably what you already have.

That said, if you need longer drill bits, you can buy whatever length bits you need. Buy the length you need and don't worry what they are called. If you buy the length you need, you know you are getting what you need rather than relying on a generic size classficiation and hoping it works.

Ed

TonyL

Excellent knowledge and guidance. I was concerned about wobble and run-out. And thanks Ed for the explanation.

Have a great one guys!

southernclay

I just bought a 3/8" taper length drill for long clicker blanks. Taper length is longer than jobber and isn't tapered like the name suggests. As far as price, I'm pretty thrifty so I've bought fairly inexpensive ones and sharpen on the drill doctor as needed.

Russknan

Some time back, John Goodin (AKA Johnny CNC) was kind enough to listen to me whine about having drill bits that were not straight. He urged me to pony up for a set of Norseman bits. They are about $100 a set on Amazon. I used some Christmas gift money and bought sets of standard and metric. Great bits! Use them all the time, sharpen on a Drill Dr. when necessary. Haven't looked back. My son will inherit them some day - although I'm doing my best to make him wait for a LONG time! :) Russ

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The only time I have considered "jobber bits" a challenge is when making long click or zen pens. For these, you will want longer bits (although it CAN be done with the jobber length, I won't describe the process---risky!).

TonyL

Some time back, John Goodin (AKA Johnny CNC) was kind enough to listen to me whine about having drill bits that were not straight. He urged me to pony up for a set of Norseman bits. They are about $100 a set on Amazon. I used some Christmas gift money and bought sets of standard and metric. Great bits! Use them all the time, sharpen on a Drill Dr. when necessary. Haven't looked back. My son will inherit them some day - although I'm doing my best to make him wait for a LONG time! :) Russ

I am in! Which sets? I need metric and standard for penturning including the long clicker?

Thank you!

Top Bottom