buy cabinets and tool chest or make my own?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioso

hi everyone,
I've a small dilemma and was wondering what would you do:
I have a wall in my toolshop/garage which has a very old cabinet (chipboard + melanine ikea style), some cardboard boxes, and a broken fridge. I use all of the above to store -quite inefficiently- tools and supplies, and I'm thinking of replacing it all with 2 new shelved cabinets, plus a middle tool chest where I will also place the lathe. I should have taken a picture...
anyways the dilemma is: should I just get this stuff from canadian tire which more or less fits the space, and will cost about 700+tax, or should I build my own cabinets from scratch?

If I was to build my own cabinets, money-wise it won't end up costing that much less: using baltic plywood would probably ring in at 350-400$, if I get good drawer slides ot will be a few hundred $ more... so I don't think the reason would be to save money:

I know that custom would be a bit more , well, custom, but then again, the Canadian tire chest is metal (aside for the 1" MDF top), which I think will be just as sturdy as 3/4 plywood, or more.

one more thing to consider, is that although woodworking is mostly a hobby and I enjoy building stuff, I'm not the kind of guy that spends 80% of the time building jigs, improving tools, beautify the shop: I like to build stuff that gets used outside the shop, hopefully by people other than myself!

sorry for the long post, hope to hear your opinion!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 183
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

HamTurns

Hi Alex - Go buy the cabinets, install them, move your stuff into them and move on.

With no difference in cost, you'll save time and get what you want set up faster.

Happy turning
Tom

razor524

I think you should buy the cabinets and move on to the projects that you like. Those look pretty well built and the price is not too bad. You could always replace the top down the road if it starts to wear out. Good luck! Plus, unless you make something truly furniture grade, the drawers and doors will likely work better on these cabinets!

Reactions: Rob

Ed McDonnell

When I first set up my shop I really enjoyed making furniture and I was not a woodturner. I made all the cabinets, workbenches, mobile tool stand/storage units and tool chests. As you noted, it was not to save money. It was because I really enjoyed doing it.

Then I became a woodturner / pen maker. If I was setting up a shop today I would not want to spend the time making cabinets and stuff. I would buy what I needed so I could spend my time doing what I enjoy. I no longer enjoy making furniture enough to want to take time away from things I do enjoy.

My conclusion after reading your post is that you are someone who will be a lot happier buying what you need for storage, which will allow you to spend your time doing what you really want to be doing. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Ed

jttheclockman

AS I continued to read your post you can sense you made up your mind. Go buy them if they are what will do the trick for you. The price will be close to the same. I build cabinets at times and do not mind doing it but just this past holiday season HF had a great deal on some rollaround tool storage cabinets. I bought a couple and will store my blanks and things in them. Saved me from having to make them. Originally I wanted to put all my pen kits in them and then I got thinking, right now I have them in plastic containers and labeled so why take them out and put in drawers. So I was and will build a shelf type cabinet that will hold all my kits and other things like I had originally planned. That will be a summer job. I do have to get the rec room back to the point where I can find my pool table again. It would sure be nice to be able to play a game or two on it again. It has been a long time. Some times it just is a matter of what makes you more happy to do.

Last edited:

duncsuss

If it were me ... I'd buy the drawer unit, perhaps build the cabinet if I wanted something a bit more custom.

My skills do not include making drawers that work -- a box with a door I can manage (just). I've made a wall-hanging cabinet unit with pegboard covering the interior back wall, and both inside and outside of the hinged doors. Nice to have the extra surfaces to hang stuff on.

Timbo

I agree with some others have said. If you really don't like building shop stuff, just buy the cabinets and move on. However, if cost and customization does becomes a priority, you'll be happier in the long run building it yourself. You don't have to use top of the line materials like Baltic birch plywood. I built my own for two reasons. First, we were running out of money budgeted for our basement remodel, in which the shop was included. I also wanted to customize the cabinets to my liking. I used MDF because it was the cheapest option. The base, face frames, doors, and the outside face of one cabinet were made with plywood with one good face...also a cheap option. I covered the top with commercial grade floor tile...cheap, tough and replaceable. The basic plan for the cabinets came from Wood Magazine. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

View in Gallery

studioso

thanks for everyone's advice,
I think I'll do what most of you suggest and "splurge" on the canadian tire stuff.
I think I'll do what duncan suggests, I'll buy the chest first, see how it grows on me... the cabinets are not on sale anyways.

Timothy, nice shop, but too clean! when I'll have myself a shop like the one tony stark builds for the kid, then I'll go custom...

Rick_G

If your fridge is an old metal one don't toss it. I use my old one to store finish and other flammable liquids in. Just make sure if you spill anything clean it up don't let it pool at the bottom.

duncsuss

One thing I forgot to mention -- when I made a workbench, I used a sheet of tempered hardboard as sacrificial top. I added edging that stands ~ 3/16" proud of the bench surface to hold the hardboard in place. Now when it gets dinged and/or paint spilled on it, I can just lift it out and put a new sheet in place.

stonepecker

One thing you might look at. Getting cabinets from a shop that either were mistakes or have some small flaw.
USUALLY, you can get them for half price or even less if you know the owner.

Take the measurements of your spaces and then go see what they may have.
You just never know what kind of a deal you may find.

SteveG

Sometimes on Craig's List (I do not know if that is available to you in Canada), I have discovered FREE cabinets, offered by someone remodeling. If the cabinets are good quality, you might find just what you want, and at the right price.

Timbo

thanks for everyone's advice,
I think I'll do what most of you suggest and "splurge" on the canadian tire stuff.
I think I'll do what duncan suggests, I'll buy the chest first, see how it grows on me... the cabinets are not on sale anyways.

Timothy, nice shop, but too clean! when I'll have myself a shop like the one tony stark builds for the kid, then I'll go custom...

LOL-You're looking at a photo from 2002 just after I completed the build. The cabinets are still in good shape, but trust me, they are nowhere near that clean.

rherrell

I made my own but THAT'S WHAT I LIKE TO DO! If making your own is NOT what you like to do then buy them.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

darrin1200

For shop cabinets, I like to get used kitchen ones.

I would check out a local ReStore (Habitat for Humanity), or kijiji.

Quite often I've seen free cabinets on kijiji. Many times they are inexcellent condition, but people just want them gone because they are renoing their kitchen. I've seen people rip out "like new" cabinets so that they can upgrade.

stonepecker

One more idea came to mind last night.
You can check the 'on-line' auctions in your area. Sometimes a wood shop is closing and you can get work stations, cabinets, and tables for almost nothing,
Of course, these are used and a certain size already.
Make sure of your measurements before placing a bid and be ready to walk away if the price gets to be more then what you want to spend.
(ONE BIG TIP......make sure that the pickup location is within driving range. DAMHIKT)

Top Bottom