Bushings drawer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

Please dont lecture me on the disadvantages of bushings compared to tbc. I prefer bushings.

I finally decided to tackle the bushings issue. The first time I accumulated bushings, I was using a tackle box with labelled compartments. Accidentally dropping this box is reason enough to not use this approach. That was almost twenty years ago.

When I rebooted this hobby, I decided to keep the bushings in their original bags, to prevent the accidental dispersment! That worked for quite a while as they accumulated. But the collection outgrew the drawers. Also, since all the bags are not the same size, keeping them in order became an irritation.

Last week, I ordered 100 small plastic bags, shipped to me for under $10.00. I orderd 2"x2" and if I were to do it again, I would get larger. However, even the biggest bushings fit. I put the label maker to use. Found some scrap 1/4" x 2" Cherry, and cut them with lap joints to make a frame for a separator.

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I use the same method, but I get mine at the local dollar store. A bag of 10 is $1.00, so the price is about the same, but I think mine are a little deeper than yours. I just keep the individual boxes in larger plastic boxes from the same store that hold 20 of the little boxes.

MikeinMich

Nice idea, i may copy it and also I know i have bushings for similar kits that all have different names, so I think i'd add all the matching kits to the label

vtgaryw

Unfortunately, every organization system I've ever tried or seen, relies on the user to put the bushings back in the proper place when you're done with them.... :)

-gary

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I may have to switch to this method, I currently use a bunch of those Weekly Pill Containers.

I have a question has I am new to turning, what is "tbc"?

-Steven

Steven,
It stands for "Turning Between Centers". You're not using a mandrel, you turn in between your live and dead centers only.

David

What David said, and there are several ways to do it. You can simply use centers without any bushings - just snug them up into the tubes (60 Dev centers work best for this) but you have to be careful not to snug up too tight. There are also specialty bushings for many kits designed for 60 deg centers as well as adapters that allow use of standard bushings. There's also new tools available (a live & dead center with shorty mandrels at both ends) that allow use of standard bushings.

hcpens

Great idea, it is your design and to heck with what others might use or like. Always nice to have comments about your methods, but in the end, it is your money and place of work. I personally incorporate both methods TBC and mandrel, with cost, availability and time all playing into which method I use.

Top Bottom