Breaking down and buying a collet chuck etc...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

Ok. I have come to terms with needing a collet chuck. I know folks really like the Beale system and it is nice.

I was wondering what other collet chucks are out there, that folks use and recommend.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

If your lathe has 1 1/4 by 8 headstock threads, or you think you might get such a lathe -- look at the CUSA collet chuck. It has an insert for 1 by 8 threads.

PSI sold though Amazon is 1 by 8 with 3/4 by 16 insert. Cost is less through Amazon with shipping.

Look at a 18 piece metric collet set about $ 125 - $135 from internet sellers.

Haynie

I've got a jet 1014 so I believe either of those would work. I just found a Bison that would fit my metal lathe but Holy Heck 659 dollars.

cwolfs69

PSI chuck works well

i have the one from PSI and it works great. it is on sale right now for $79.00 i do believe. it also comes with an adaptor for either 1"-8 or 3/4"-12 threads. i have seen posts where others have liked it also.

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

I've worked with the CSUSA, PSI and Beall collet chucks. The Beall costs more, but for me it is worth every penny.

I use the CSUSA collet chuck when I'm going to be doing something where a little runout doesn't matter (wet sanding / polishing, filling carved area with embellishing material, patinating, hand carving layout). The PSI grew legs and vanished a while back, but I would use it the same as the CSUSA if I could find it.

I use the Beall for any serious rotary work on my lathes (both DOL and wood) where I need minimal runout. The Beall also just works smoother and holds better without having to crank down with tommy bars.

They will all hold round stuff reliably. If I were buying today I would buy Beall, but that's just my opinion.

Ed

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I have a Beall with a 1x8 and one I got from ebay seller 800watt with a 3mt for my metal lathe. Both work fine and the ER32 collets are interchangable. Get as many collet sizes as you can afford. I use all I have (19) and wish for a few more between some of the ranges.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
I am not an admirer of PSI, however I have their collet chuck and I have Beale for my metal lathes. It may not be a fair comparison, metal to wood, but if I were buying another collet chuck for my wood lathe, I would probably go with the PSI. I had runout with the first Beale, sent it back, bought another, had runout with it. Because there is a possibility, it may be my fault on the set up of the lathe, I kept it. Had to have something. BUT, needless to say, I'm not happy with it.

Rob73

I've got the one from CUSA. I've maybe used it about 15 or 20 times. For the most part I've had no issues. I did have a couple times doing small work where I didn't really think it held the piece very well. Overall though I'm quite satisfied with it for the price.

Top Bottom