blank jig - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Shops, Jigs, Fixtures & Tools Show off and discuss your workshop and everything in it.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default blank jig

I found a cool easy to make blank jig on you tube. It is used for cutting the corners off the blank to save wear and tear and time when turning down the blank. it works great and cost less than $4 for the aluminum angle. here is a link to the video I used to build the jig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV7V5ewo2GM
Attached Thumbnails
20180412_105622.jpg   20180412_105738.jpg  

Last edited by stevet876; 04-15-2018 at 04:23 PM. Reason: tried to rotate first image
stevet876 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've been wondering about an easy way to do this, without having to reset my band saw to 45* and then back to 0* every time. I've already got the angle, time to go scrounge and make some dust. Thanks!
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 11

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn’t use that jig the way it is. I would not be comfortable having my fingers that close to the blade. But that is just me. There is also the possibility that the jig could move and run the blade into the angle iron (or your fingers).

You already have a tool that is made to knock corners off... your lathe. I watched the video and honestly I can knock off the corners much, much faster on my lathe then he did in the video. A sharp tool and turning up the lathe speed is all it takes.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Maybe it's just me but I wouldn’t use that jig the way it is. I would not be comfortable having my fingers that close to the blade. But that is just me. There is also the possibility that the jig could move and run the blade into the angle iron (or your fingers).

You already have a tool that is made to knock corners off... your lathe. I watched the video and honestly I can knock off the corners much, much faster on my lathe then he did in the video. A sharp tool and turning up the lathe speed is all it takes.
A small clamp on the jig and a push stick. Viola.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I have to agree with Jim. When I first started turning pens, I built a lot of jigs including an edge jig from plans here in the Library. I used it exactly twice and then went back to turning the corners off on the lathe.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-16-2018, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Quote:

No jig, no clamp, no push stick. Just my lathe and it will be done faster than you can say 'Viola'... OK, maybe a little longer...5 seconds.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No jig, no clamp, no push stick. Just my lathe and it will be done faster than you can say 'Viola'... OK, maybe a little longer...5 seconds.
That's great for you. Maybe you've never turned, say, a segmented pen with grain running both directions, and a big chunk of cross grain black palm? Try turning that down to round in "5 seconds" and let me know how it goes.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I turned a piece of cross grain black palm down on the lathe and went... all over the shop. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's great for you. Maybe you've never turned, say, a segmented pen with grain running both directions, and a big chunk of cross grain black palm? Try turning that down to round in "5 seconds" and let me know how it goes.
Sorry, That didn’t come across right. I didn’t mean to sound like a wise a$$. I apologize.

I’ve turned very little segmented. I have turned some black palm. I’ve also turned burl, mostly for bowls. I turn Pens, larger spindles and many bowls ranging from 3” to 15” blanks. I only use my bandsaw to knock corners off medium and large bowl blanks to get rid of large amounts of excess wood and get the bowl blanks better balanced. I’ve never used my bandsaw to knock corners off any spindle blank, large or small, regardless of the wood/material being turned.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank you for the video good jig to make and have to use when needed

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Mikeyt is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads