Blank Dryer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

Penn State offers a blank drying system consisting of a low RPM motor with a shaft rotating a blank or blanks coated with things like polyurethane. The slow rotation while drying keeps the coating from settling on a low spot. Idea is great but a price of nearly $60 is a little too hard for me to accept. Mine is just a prototype at this time. I was kind of bored today so this is what I put together. The synchronous motor is $7 from ebay. The Plexiglas is a 20 year old piece from the scrap bin. The paper backing had to be flooded with mineral spirits then scraped off. New Plexiglas will be coming Monday. I will have a hardwood base with a shaft support at the other end. Aside from the motor the only other expense is length of 1/4-20 all-thread. The motor is 120 volt. I will add a switch.

Attachments

• 20161210_175139.jpg
    20161210_175139.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 651
  • 20161210_175205.jpg
    20161210_175205.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 592
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jolly Red

Another drying frame

Much the same, using pallet wood and 1/4" dowel rod shaft. The motor is a used microwave motor from ebay. I used a vinyl tube to connect the shaft of the motor to the dowel rod. I use cones turned from maple and coated with wax to center the tube on the shaft.

Attachments

• 014 FINISHING FIXTURE.jpg
    014 FINISHING FIXTURE.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 659

oldtoolsniper

Look up rod making tools as in fishing rods. There are a bazillion ideas for rotating rods for a level finish. I would imagine it's the same for pool cue making.

There are also the endless debates on finishes and resins. There are also some epoxy mixing machines made from microwave motors and ball bearings.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Marmotjr

I built one with a small stepper motor and a spare arduino I had lying around. It had 6 dowels on the arm attached to the motor, so I could dry various pens at once. Ran off a 5v wall wart. After using it a couple times, I realized I wasn't a fan of Poly/Lacquer pen finishes, and the various components got cannibalized for other projects. But I agree totally with the OP, there is no reason to buy one at retail, as anybody, even with little to no electronics experience, could find a prewired motor on ebay and build their own.

ZbR

The same idea here. I used 15 rpm motor, the faceplate allows to mount up to 8 elements. I use it to decorate pen blanks with tinted epoxy resin.

Attachments

• ko?owrotek.jpg
    ko?owrotek.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 543

HawksFeather

I made a similar turner many years ago using a Disco Ball motor. It, and probably the ones shown here, work pretty good. When I switched to CA finishes I quit using it, but it is still on the shelf. Actually two are still on the shelf and another one is with my brother-in-law being used to turn fly rods.

oldtoolsniper

They work very well if the finish you are using requires rotation to stay level. Rod building requires a level, flexible and bubble free finish. Some of the techniques that are required in rod building might be beneficial to pen casting. There is a lot of information on decals, thread wrapping, colorfast of items under epoxy finishes. I would think the epoxy mixing bubble free would be of interest to those without pressure pots.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
They work very well if the finish you are using requires rotation to stay level. Rod building requires a level, flexible and bubble free finish. Some of the techniques that are required in rod building might be beneficial to pen casting. There is a lot of information on decals, thread wrapping, colorfast of items under epoxy finishes. I would think the epoxy mixing bubble free would be of interest to those without pressure pots.

YUP!

Top Bottom