Best bits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

What are people's opinions about the best type and brand of drill bits to get for drilling pen blanks? I'm not very knowledgeable about this subject, but I'm noticing that there are of course many different makers. But there are also different styles or types it seems like (can't remember what I meant by this, but when I was at ACE I just remember seeing ones that looked different at the point end). When I look at the company websites, the costs can vary from $5-$15 for a drill bit for the cigar pen for example, but then comparing those same two sites for a 7mm drill bit, they're within a few cents of each other. Do people have opinions or preferred places to buy bits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtparso

I have a full set (letter, fraction, number) from HF. But for pens I use what I buy from the pen sellers BB PSI and others I think if the wood is soft the brad point works best. For hard stuff I like the B&D bullet points. A sharp drill and the right speed make a lot of differance. On corian I use a little oil (spray the drill w/ WD and wipe). I have though of useing some kind of lube on the flutes of drills in wood but raw wood and oil is a stain waiting to happen.

BogBean

Check out the Norseman bits that BB sells. After using Norseman I will never buy a cheap bit again...

alamocdc

I have a few Norseman bits in sizes that aren't in my 115 pc TN set that Ron mentioned above. My cheapo set cuts almost as well. At least well enough for me not to spend $$$ on more Norseman. [;)]

Dario

Whatever you decide on...try getting a starter set right away if you can. If you can find a set in 1/64" increment get it. The initial price may shock you a bit, but you will save a bundle in the long run.

If I've known about this HF bit set earlier, I would have gotten it myself. Tn coated HSS...WOW!!! Looks like a great buy!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I like brad point bits. I have a set from HB, but CSU is now offering a great set in 1/64" increments that is virtually identical to the set I have at about the same price... $24.99 ..
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=379-4999
279-4999.jpg

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />The best bits I have ever tried are the Norseman. Expsnsive, but they outlast anything else and cut the hardest woods very well.

The only difference I see in the Norseman is that they cost a whole lot more than most others. The sets where the price comes out to about $1.00 per bit are outstanding. And, in my experience, the brad point is far better than high speed twist drills which are really designed for metals. Brad points cut through the wood. HS can grab and blow out blanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom