Benchtop Compound Table Router Drill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
A little while ago I needed to buy a 16mm chuck to make a gadget for my metal lathe. Instead of buying a chuck on it's own, I bought a complete new benchtop drill press indentical to the one I already had. The Chinese DP was only about £10 more than the cost of a half decent chuck.
The old motor became a drum sander and the rest of the pulleys etc will eventually be used on other projects.

I've had a compound table for years and is a very useful tool but It takes up space and is very heavy.
I removed the DP base and mounted the column on a thick ali plate. Then I mounted the compound table behind it. I used the old DP bed clamp to hold an articulated arm which holds a router.
The old DP quill and chuck became an indexable rotary table.
Just by swing the drill press head around gives me several options

Here's some pics:biggrin:

Attachments

• CompoundRouterDrillPress.jpg
    CompoundRouterDrillPress.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 2,324
  • CompoundTableDrilling.jpg
    CompoundTableDrilling.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,094
  • CompoundTableRouting.jpg
    CompoundTableRouting.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 4,467
  • ArticulatedRouting.jpg
    ArticulatedRouting.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,110
  • IndexedCompoundRouting.jpg
    IndexedCompoundRouting.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,296
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

Looks very complicated. I wish I had the ability to do cool stuff like that. I wear zippered shoes because tying them is too complicated, lol.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Add a couple of stepper motors and you'll have a really cool machine.

BTW - nice looking router - what is it and what size bits can it hold?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Add a couple of stepper motors and you'll have a really cool machine.

BTW - nice looking router - what is it and what size bits can it hold?

Bruce, I've got a few full sized ( 1/2 inch ) branded routers, but this Chinese budget one is my favourite by far. It has collets to take 1/4 (6mm) and also the little Dremel sized ones. I think they are 2.5mm and 3mm.
I came with an adjustable footplate and I think it was meant for cutting holes in drywall ( plasterboard) I love it.:biggrin: I lost the footplate ages ago, but it has a flat round 42mm collar that makes mounting it easy.

LOL, automating the x-y table DID cross my mind, but I would need to change the leadscrews as they are too sloppy for bi-directional cuts. Of course I still need to remember to wind in back a bit to take up the slack.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• MiniRouter.jpg
    MiniRouter.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 494

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Charlie, we have no moons on my planet but there is a blue and brown overpopulated 'thing' that revolves around us:wink::biggrin:

We are thinking of sending a little manned rocket to pay it a visit, but will probably just end up making a movie:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: as it doesn't look that great from here.:wink:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
We are thinking of sending a little manned rocket to pay it a visit, but will probably just end up making a movie:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: as it doesn't look that great from here.:wink:

Don't waste the fuel. They'd never make it past customs, anyway..
.. and if they bring toothpaste or shampoo, forget it!

OKLAHOMAN

Damn....why didn't I think of that.................
Oh now I remember, because I wouldn't know what the hell to do with it.:confused:

el_d

Nice work Skippy!

And to think , I an having a hard time trying to find a "elegant" solution to take apart a long click.....

AHA! That's how you did that cool "Don" pen machining. I was trying to mentally design a router table jig and marvelling at the accuracy you achieved. Very ingenious my friend. I am inspired.:good::good:

glycerine

Skip, I'd like to hear more about the drum sander you made with the old motor, as I currently have an unused motor out in the garage. Did you use pillow block bearings and then make your own cylinder to attach the "sandpaper" to?

nava1uni

Amazing set up. I wouldn't know where to begin.
I definitely feel like you guys are from a different planet. No machining background, and the things that I make or come up with to do projects are primitive by comparison. It does however, make me think beyond the box and now I think I must take a class in machining, design, welding, etc., etc., etc. Guess I will have to retire so I can do it.

rej19

No wonder I can't get my pens to look like yours. I don't have one of those things. Do you have the instruction manual? :confused::confused::confused:

Just kidding of course! Except for the looks of my pens.

glycerine

Amazing set up. I wouldn't know where to begin.
I definitely feel like you guys are from a different planet. No machining background, and the things that I make or come up with to do projects are primitive by comparison. It does however, make me think beyond the box and now I think I must take a class in machining, design, welding, etc., etc., etc. Guess I will have to retire so I can do it.

I've been wanting to do some welding myself... but looking at welder prices, that's a whole 'nother chunk of ca$h that I don't really have to blow right now!

Top Bottom