Bench Grinding wheels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasboy1

Hi folks, I am finally going to change my overdue grinding wheels on my old machine. It has 36 and 60 grit wheels. The 60 is not worn much and is good for sharpening mower blades, etc. I was wondering what grit I should get which would be helpful for sharpening lathe chisels.
It runs at about 1725, powered by a washing machine motor from the 1940's.

jttheclockman

We have no idea of your budget or your grinder but the best is a set of CBN wheels Next best is the friable blue wheels and nothing less than 80 grit.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norton-3X-Blue-Grinding-Wheel-K-Grade-P101.aspx

Some reading in there for you too. Man there is so much details to talk about and it is always so hard to answer questions like this because we have no knowledge of your abilities and your knowledge of tools in general. Do you know how to check a wheel for cracks (safety thing for sure) do you know how to dress a wheel??> Do you know if the wheel is balanced and how to correct if not?? Do you know not to grind on the side of a wheel?? And so much more on this one topic. Larger wheel is better than smaller because of concave grind. Good luck.

Chasboy1

We have no idea of your budget or your grinder but the best is a set of CBN wheels Next best is the friable blue wheels and nothing less than 80 grit.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norton-3X-Blue-Grinding-Wheel-K-Grade-P101.aspx

Some reading in there for you too. Man there is so much details to talk about and it is always so hard to answer questions like this because we have no knowledge of your abilities and your knowledge of tools in general. Do you know how to check a wheel for cracks (safety thing for sure) do you know how to dress a wheel??> Do you know if the wheel is balanced and how to correct if not?? Do you know not to grind on the side of a wheel?? And so much more on this one topic. Larger wheel is better than smaller because of concave grind. Good luck.
Thanks!
I'm a former Metal Shop teacher. I have a wheel dresser, and have used grinders for over 50 years. Never checked for balance or cracks and I don't use the side of the wheels. I will look at that website.

Top Bottom