Bench grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aces-High

I was given a bench grinder. It spins at around 3500 rpm which I think is way to fast for sharpening. Someone could tell me different though...
Question.
Is there a way to make it spin slower? Alter the amout of power it gets? IDK. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason

magpens

On a grinder, I think the speed is built in at the design stage and cannot be altered in any practical, reliable way. . I stand to be corrected.

Curly

Unless the motor is a 3 phase there is no way to slow it down. You need to get some good aluminum oxide wheels and keep them dressed with a diamond to keep the grit sharp. The wheels come in different colors depending on the maker, usually white but if you get industrial wheels they are grey. Norton make a blue wheel and I believe that Oneway have the same. Use a light touch and you'll be fine. High Speed Steel was alloyed to keep it's edge at near red hot temperatures. Just don't dip it in water to cool it because the metal will get micro fractures in the edge.

Woodchipper

I posed the question on another forum. General opinion was that it was too fast. I bought a Rikon low speed grinder from Woodcraft on sale at $99. BTW, light dimmers won't work.

Top Bottom