beginning of evolution

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapshooter

this is the start of my pen turning center. The base, top and wheels were all throw aways at work. I parted them out at home and came up with this. The lathe was the only new tool so far. The sanders were part of a group of tools, stand and lights bought at a moving sale.

2005102111336_setup1.jpg

I will leave room for a good grinder on top and I have room to put a 16 gallon shop vac in the cabinet. I will poke holes in the top to route the wires and install the vac hose through the top for accessories later.

200510211176_setup2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Great start. I would advise leaving room to add hoses for a dust collection system for your health (and safety). I use a cheap setup attached to a shop vac and still have to do housekeeping around the lathe occasionally but the difference was significant after adding the dusthood.

woodwish

I agree with Tip above, add some dust collection for your health (and don't leave your soda there while turning). Looks like a very functional and sturdy stand, it was nice of your employer to throw it away. [;)]

Trapshooter

I am with you all the way on safety. My plan is to have my vac hose mounted from under the table top to attatch items like a dust hood for the lathe and hose for the sanders. I also have an air cleaner close to where I will be turning.

Currnetly I am using a wood working bench I made last year and is currently cluttered with pen stuff. I will still use that as a staging and assembly area.

I imagine the pop would not taste very good as well as not very healthy. It is my children's pop, no turning las night, just cleaning. My kids are at the ages where they enjoy being with me in the garage and they still think I am smart. I will enjoy this while it lasts[:D]

mick

Pop...Soda? Where the heck y'all from. That's a coke plain and simple....lol. Seriously Scott thats a great start. This from a guy who's still pulling his lathe out side of the garage to turn!

ograywolf

Here's the setup I put together for pen turning. After one snootfull of Paduak dust, dust collection became a VERY high priority. I use the shop vac, with a hose up through the table that connects to the dust collector/shield mounted on the lathe. I also rigged the power to both the lathe and the vac through a power strip. I cannot turn the lathe on without also turning on the vac. You can see the dust streaming toward the collector as I sand, versus going up my nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom