The beginners lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I think this is great. I do wish they would have put safety glasses on all the time. It even looks like the box cover shows a kid working without safety glasses. Other than that, I think it's a fantastic tool for kids.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Wow, something that makes my Taig look like a grown up! :biggrin:

I don't know how to take that. At some point, simplicity and low power cause things to be more difficult to master. It should teach patience, but I could see it working for one of my grandsons. Another one would not have the patience.

bmachin

I think you would be better off spending another $75 or so and buying the kid (even an 8 year old) a Harbor Freight Benchtop and some tooling so he can really make something.

FWIW

Bill

magpens

Interesting ... but ... read the reviews ... and ...

Get the name ... Playmat !!!!

And get the price: $17 - $85.

I would strongly doubt that that spindle was turned on that "lathe" !!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Maybe for the really young "little nippers", but for those that can be taught to handle a basic lathe - use a basic lathe!

Skie_M

I think you would be better off spending another $75 or so and buying the kid (even an 8 year old) a Harbor Freight Benchtop and some tooling so he can really make something.

FWIW

Bill

Spent 104 dollars after tax on my own mini benchtop woodworking lathe from harbor freight (after 25% off coupon)... Toss in the basic lathe tool set for 12 dollars, (already had a 1x30 belt sander for sharpening) and I was in business turning my first basic spindles and practicing techniques. :)

Top Bottom